The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I'm glad that the next King, and his wife haven't been 'airbrushed' out of this visit, but will play a prominent role in it. The Prince's views give voice to MANY in this country, who take a dim view of the Chinese treatment of the Dalai Lama and his compatriots, so it is good to see him included.
President Xi will have a private meeting with the PoW at Clarence House plus the official reception on day one, but that's pretty much it. Andrew, who is a much more junior royal, will have 3 separate events with the president, although none of them are private meetings.

I feel the Palace and the government have tried to find a way of sidelining Charles without making it look like he is being airbrushed out of the visit.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Prince of Wales will miss next week's State banquet in honour of the Chinese president in an apparent snub to the country's Communist leaders.

Buckingham Palace has confirmed that while the Prince will meet President Xi Jinping several times during the course of the State visit, he will be absent from the centrepiece white tie event at Buckingham Palace hosted by the Queen.

The Prince has had a troubled relationship with China for decades, partly because of his support for the disputed territory of Tibet, whose spiritual leader, The Dalai Lama, he counts as a personal friend.
Read more: Prince Charles to stay away from State banquet with Chinese president at Buckingham Palace - Telegraph

Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
President Xi will have a private meeting with the PoW at Clarence House plus the official reception on day one, but that's pretty much it. Andrew, who is a much more junior royal, will have 3 separate events with the president, although none of them are private meetings.

I feel the Palace and the government have tried to find a way of sidelining Charles without making it look like he is being airbrushed out of the visit.
Andrew (which I don't have much respect for) is a senior royal, he's the Queen's son. And as you say, there are no private meetings between him and Xi Jinping (or as I say ''the brutal dictator of China.'')

And I don't think Charles are sidelined at all, and if he had wanted to be present at more events during this visit, then he'd been there.

And to those of you who think that he should have attended the state banquet, then I can reassure you and say that Charles will do what is expected of him when he becomes King. Now he has a freer role, and I completely agree with him.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Andrew usually does some of the accompanying on State Visits - particularly to areas of his own interests - which these seems to be.

That he is going to the Guildhall event is the one he doesn't normally do as that is usually done by a minor royal such as the Duke of Gloucester - showing how important this visit is to the British government that they are rolling out one of the Queen's sons for this event.

He will also probably attend the State Banquet although the royals who attend that aren't announced in advance.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

What surprised me is that Andrew will accompany the president in a industrial visit (to Inmarsat) and another bilateral cultural event. Does the Duke of York have any previous relationship with China that justifies such a prominent role for Andrew ?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I just did a quick Google search. Andrew was in Shanghai in 2011 for UK-China business expo. He hosted a UK-China business event at BP in June 2014. He has experience with business leaders especially internationally from his former trade position.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Is the palace going to release a more detailed programme?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What surprised me is that Andrew will accompany the president in a industrial visit (to Inmarsat) and another bilateral cultural event. Does the Duke of York have any previous relationship with China that justifies such a prominent role for Andrew ?
Don't know if this covers your question but it isn't about a relationship with China, its about understanding the technology and industrial sector, which Andrew does.

Yesterday (13th October) Andrew had a meeting with the Ambassador from CHina - from the CC

Buckingham Palace
13th October, 2015
The Duke of York this morning received the Ambassador from the People’s Republic of China (His Excellency Mr Liu Xiaoming).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Is the palace going to release a more detailed programme?
look at my post #96 on this thread

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

JMO. But I think this multiple royal contact strategy for the visit has legs.
Each royal has their own area of expertise and agenda (think of it as a wish list rather than as intruding on policy, if you must).
Each royal will have a different kind of trust with/for the PM/their entourage in general and on certain areas of expertise.
Each royal gets to gather info on/from positions, hints, statements, comments, etc.
Then they can compare notes. And either through the Queen or otherwise with foreign affairs officials, they share what they learned.
It's not directing policy - but it is a great way to gather info.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

there is more to be gained in understanding between Charles and the President of China in a small private meeting than seating 4-6 seats away in a room with 150 people in it.

This is a great approach.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Do not see how Charles is being sidelined.

Charles is doing exactly what he always does.
1.) Charles is the first member of the RF to greet the Head of State.
2.) He will accompany the Head of State to the Horse Guards Parade.
3.) Charles & Camilla will meet privately at Clarence House with the Chinese President and his wife.
4.) The President and Madame Peng will join Charles and Camilla at The Prince's School for Traditional Arts.
5.) The President of China & Madame Peng will join Prince Charles and Camilla for tea.

The Queen will give a luncheon and a banquet for the President of China.

Regardless of the rumors we will have to see if Charles & Camilla attend either.

So far the rumors have been wrong...No sidelining Charles, no Charles refusing to meet with the Chinese President.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think everyone knew Charles was going to meet with the Chinese President regardless that he won't attend the State Banquet.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

What is all this 'sidelining' Charles stuff? It was Charles who didn't attend the State Banquet in 2005. No one sidelined him. He refused to attend over Tibet.

His choice and the Telegraph is reporting CH confirmed he won't attend this banquet either.

Again his choice I guess but its not sidelining him if he refuses to meet a leader or attend a banquet
Old 10-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, this is all Charles's personal decisions.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Is it?

Please provide some evidence that says that Charles has decided not to attend.

For all we know it could easily be the fact that William went to China earlier this year and therefore it is seen best for him to be the 2nd person at the banquet due to his more recent visit or it could be that the Chinese asked that Charles not attend the banquet or the PM or British government or The Queen.

That Charles appears not to be attending is all we know - why is pure speculation.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Is it?

Please provide some evidence that says that Charles has decided not to attend.

For all we know it could easily be the fact that William went to China earlier this year and therefore it is seen best for him to be the 2nd person at the banquet due to his more recent visit or it could be that the Chinese asked that Charles not attend the banquet or the PM or British government or The Queen.

That Charles appears not to be attending is all we know - why is pure speculation.
Well, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Charles who decided not to attend a previous Chinese State Banquet? It comes to no surprise that he's not attending this State Banquet, because he did this before.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Royal Highness

I say let's wait and see.
(There is already egg on some people's faces who insisted that Charles would have no part in the Chinese State Visit.)

Charles may attend the luncheon or the banquet.

Until it happens, I wouldn't be placing any bets.

If Charles attends, I wonder what all the excuses will be...

And if Charles doesn't attend, does that automatically assume Camilla will not attend?

Anne has attended without a spouse, no reason why Camilla cannot.

Let us just wait and see.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I say let's wait and see.
(There is already egg on some people's faces who insisted that Charles would have no part in the Chinese State Visit.)

Charles may attend the luncheon or the banquet.

Until it happens, I wouldn't be placing any bets.

If Charles attends, I wonder what all the excuses will be...

And if Charles doesn't attend, does that automatically assume Camilla will not attend?

Anne has attended without a spouse, no reason why Camilla cannot.

Let us just wait and see.
It's a difference though. Anne is a "blood royal" (I hate that term...). Have Tim been there without her?

I wonder (honestly, does anyone know?) has Sophie been at a state banquet without Edward?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Tim do attend the State Banquets with Anne. You just don't see him much because the pictures are so scarce. Not sure Sophie has attended without Edward.

If Charles won't attend, Camilla won't attend.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-15-2015, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting visit. And quite active participation of the Dukes of Cambridge and Duke of York. We wait another beautiful week.