The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Nobility

Who's the lady wearing a tiara and sitting next to George Osborne? Anyone know?

Old 10-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaNL View Post
Kate must wear a tiara every day from now I think. It looks so AWESOME on her. She looks like a princess for 200% now!

Perhaps she will have the Royal Family Order for her 5th wedding anniversary or so. IMO, she should have received it already...
Sophie didn't get hers until almost 5 years into her marriage and she's the only one we can really judge Kate by. I would imagine Kate will get it in the next year.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The lotus flower diadem is also nice seing the oriental connection of the motifs. The halo diadem has more quality, carat and a better design but the lotus does nicely with the guest from the far orient.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G÷mdNatt View Post
Sophie didn't get hers until almost 5 years into her marriage and she's the only one we can really judge Kate by. I would imagine Kate will get it in the next year.
But Camilla got hers 1 year after her marriage. And Kate has given birth to 2 children (including the future heir) now which Camilla of course could not.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
No Family Order and no Sash for the Duchess of Cambridge.
Even Diana had only one sash (the House of Orange Order) and all this because Queen Elizabeth does not grant decorations to female spouses while she did to Prince Bernhard, Prince FÚlix, Prince Henrik and Prince Claus.

Because of reciprocity then the other head of state does not grant decorations to female spouses either. Queen Beatrix was not that narrow-minded and created Diana a Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the House of Orange (Crown Order), the same Dutch Order as Prince Charles already had.

"The Dutch Order" (in Diana's own handwriting!) / collection of the Chancellery of the Netherlands Orders

Diana wearing the Order (State Visit Queen Beatrix 1982)
Old 10-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But Camilla got hers 1 year after her marriage. And Kate has given birth to 2 children (including the future heir) now which Camilla of course could not.
Its difficult to make sense of all this. Camilla got her RFO after one year but Sophie also has the Order of St John which Camilla doesn't.

Harry just got his first order earlier this year.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Even Diana had only one sash (the House of Orange Order) and all this because Queen Elizabeth does not grant decorations to female spouses while she did to Prince Bernhard, Prince FÚlix, Prince Henrik and Prince Claus.

Because of reciprocity then the other head of state does not grant decorations to female spouses either. Queen Beatrix was not that narrow-minded and created Diana a Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the House of Orange (Crown Order), the same Dutch Order as Prince Charles already had.

"The Dutch Order" (in Diana's own handwriting!)

Diana wearing the Order (State Visit Queen Beatrix 1982)

I am sure Kate looked lovely tonight, but, if you compare her to Diana on the 1982 State Banquet in honor of Queen Beatrix, you can see that the BRF is clearly downplaying their carat power. Not that the family doesn't have it anymore, but times are different now, I guess.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I am a little surprised that Kate does not have the RFO - but then she is only at the minute not a fully working royal so based on that i guess it takes longer to build up years of service to the Queen. Sophie again at the start was only a part time royal with a career and it wasn't until 2002 that she became a full working royal.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Its difficult to make sense of all this. Camilla got her RFO after one year but Sophie also has the Order of St John which Camilla doesn't.

Harry just got his first order earlier this year.
Camilla is a Dame Grand Cross in the Royal Victorian Order (picture), like Sophie. So she got her high decorations pretty quickly. The Order of St John given to Sophie is a different one, it is not a dynastic Order but an Order of chivalry, to award merits. Apparently Sophie has been contributing to the ideals of that Order (caring for the sick and the needy). Kudos for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am sure Kate looked lovely tonight, but, if you compare her to Diana on the 1982 State Banquet in honor of Queen Beatrix, you can see that the BRF is clearly downplaying their carat power. Not that the family doesn't have it anymore, but times are different now, I guess.
I am sure that when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Mßxima bring a State Visit to the United Kingdom, the carat power will go up. Today was a "businesslike" visit as the guests did not fully commit to the usual dresscode.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Camilla is a Dame Grand Cross in the Royal Victorian Order (picture), like Sophie. So she got her high decorations pretty quickly. The Order of St John given to Sophie is a different one, it is not a dynastic Order but an Order of chivalry, to award merits. Apparently Sophie has been contributing to the ideals of that Order (caring for the sick and the needy). Kudos for her.
I know but my point it difficult in Britain to make sense over who gets what and when.

The Order of St John is still awarded personally by the Sovereign and other royal ladies have it.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Today was a "businesslike" visit as the guests did not fully commit to the usual dresscode.
But better then at the last State Visit from China. Then the president appeared in a suit with tie and the First lady in a day suit with sort gown for the State Banquet.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

STATE VISIT FROM CHINA | Selda G├Âkta┼č
Heir Apparent

This President and his spouse do it with flair and style. Already in the Netherlands it was visible at the State Banquet how it nicely blended, all these black suits with the white tie: picture

Much better than the former president, Mr Hu Jintao (picture)
Royal Highness

Quote:

I am sure that when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Mßxima bring a State Visit to the United Kingdom, the carat power will go up. Today was a "businesslike" visit as the guests did not fully commit to the usual dresscode.
The Chinese always wear the Mao suit. President Xi wore it in state banquets in the Netherlands and in Belgium.

Quote:
This President and his spouse do it with flair and style. Already in the Netherlands it was visible at the State Banquet how it nicely blended, all these black suits with the white tie: picture
The Royal Palace of Amsterdam lacks though the grandeur of Buckingham Palace, or the Royal Palace of Brussels, or the Castle of Laeken. In fact, the Dam Palace looks very much like a City Hall to me, which ot was in the past if I am not mistaken.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:34 PM
Gentry

Don't you just love the Chinese! Two of Madame Peng's albums in exchange for Shakespeare's sonnets! What an honour for the Queen and the British people!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by G÷mdNatt View Post
Diana had it after 18 months and she, like Kate, was expected to be a future Queen.

Camilla - another future consort to the monarch had it within 2.5 years.

Kate is being made to wait longer than either these two ladies who were/are future consorts.

There has to be a reason why The Queen is waiting so long to give it to her given how long Diana and Camilla had to wait.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate looked great,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRyY6FtWsAANR6Z.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRyNoMSWUAEp84U.jpg
Im glad her and William have finally attended a state banquet.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRySEkmWsAEabFo.jpg

The Queen, Philip and the presidential couple
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5370598693.jpg

Anne and Tim
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5370497962.jpg
Old 10-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soula View Post
Don't you just love the Chinese! Two of Madame Peng's albums in exchange for Shakespeare's sonnets! What an honour for the Queen and the British people!
Mrs Peng must think very highly of herself and her artistic talent.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw the part that the telegraph sent streaming: It was so great to see a state banquet live only just for fee minutes! It's as if the essence of the monarchy shows through this.
The queen looked elegant but very fragile again (no big surprise, it's understandable..) and although it is gorgeous I think the tiara is heavy and makes her majesty look more swamped by it. "heavy is the crown"LOL, kidding. The first lady of China is truly a beautiful lady and very elegant too. Catherine really looks gorgeous! I wasn't expecting red, and it was a big surprise! I prefer the halo tiara but this one is more appropriate for the event.
Now, I noticed thow faux.pas from her, but I'm not sure about them. Did he made the president of China wait?

About the RFO: everyone was expectin it, let's be honest... I am not a fan of Kate in general but I was really sure she would get it... LOL many must be disapointed... I thought that Kate had done the "main job of heir and spare", but it seems that for the queen that's not enough... I don't know the reasons behind it but IMO it is because she is not full time royal: not full time, not order IMO.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Quote:
Mrs Peng must think very highly of herself and her artistic talent.
Indeed.. but it is hardly likely to compare with, say Confucius, or Shakespeare...