State Visit from the President of China: November 8-10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seemed some of the criticism was based on disagreement over his politics rather than based his fashion statement.

Absolutely not. It's just been my experience that in years of state dinners, etc., I never recall a leader of a Communist nation ever donning a tuxedo for these events. I assume that a tuxedo may be seen as elitist, non-proletariat garb, something reserved for the upper class oligarchs.

I dare anyone to produce a photo of a Soviet/Chinese/Eastern European leader (pre-1990, anyway) wearing a tuxedo!

I don't know, but I think it's interesting for some reason....

Last edited by a moderator:
what other option would he have than suit and tie (or tuxedo)

Incas said:
The fact he is in a suit and tie should be obvious your last observation is off the mark. I have seen pictures of Prince Charles in a suite and tie recently while some of the men were in tuxedo and the ladies in evening gown. It just seemed some of the criticism was based on disagreement over his politics rather than based his fashion statement.

#1: China's President Hu Jintao (L) shakes hands with Britain's Queen Elizabeth (3rd L) at Buckingham Palace as his wife Liu Yongqing (2nd L) and the Duke of Edinburgh (R) watch, at the end of his state visit to Britain, November 10, 2005. Britain and China signed $1.3 billion worth of business deals on Wednesday during a state visit to London by Hu. Beijing also allowed Lloyd's of London to establish a reinsurance operation in China. REUTERS/Toby Melville
#2-5: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh with Mr Hu Jintao, President of the Peoples Republic of China as he departs from Buckingham Palace after his State Visit to Britain on November 10, 2005 (Photo by POOL/Tim Graham Picture Library/Getty Images)

Chinese President Hu heads to Germany after London visit
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/177980/1/.html

Attachments

• r.jpg
    r.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 56133788.jpg
    56133788.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 56133796.jpg
    56133796.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 56133807.jpg
    56133807.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 56133811.jpg
    56133811.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
susan alicia said:
what other option would he have than suit and tie (or tuxedo)

A yamulke and an ash can liner? :rolleyes:

I wonder if the Duke is worried about spending so much time with the Chinese president? I picture him examining himself very closely in the mirror each night.....

"If you stay here much longer you'll all get slitty eyed."

-- The Duke of Edinburgh speaking to British students in China in 1986.

I noticed that Rex Features has some nice pictures of the Guildhall banquet. Does anyone have the facility to enlarge them and post them here please?

James, Martine is the British forum moderator with the greatest expertise on matters like picture hosting. Why don't you drop her a PM and see if she can help out.

It's The Guildhall banquet pictures I want. Can anyone post these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom