State Visit from the President of Brazil: March 7-9, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Michael is a descendant of both Diane de Poitier and Ctherine De Medici. She has a heck of a pedigree!

BeatrixFan said:
Princess Michael is looking extremely regal but what is the stripey skirt all about?

Looks pretty much like an old Nina Ricci from the late 80's/early 90's...

Last time HRH Princess Michael of Kent wore this ensemble was in 2000, I think (?)

It's quite a horrid looking thing really :eek:

Last edited:
No, I'm afraid there isn't. I've been looking for it for several days now and I haven't been able to find it yet. I think if there would have been a picture of Camilla's dress, it would already have been posted here, because we all long to see it. Such a pity. :(

Hi-Res pictures from the Gala Banquet at Guildhall
from planalto.gov.br

Last edited:
Dear Members of the List:

I am delighted to see Her Majesty in the aquamarine parure. While a bit heavy, indeed clunky it still has the power to impress or rather Queen Elizabeth definately has the power to impress. As for the Greville tiara on the head of Princess Camilla, she looks wonderful. Better I think than the Delhi Durbar tiara, which takes a bit of getting used to. Of course it has been shorn of two of the Cullinans and the Cambridge emeralds. Perhaps they could find some replacements?

As for Princess Diana, please let the woman rest in peace. I am so weary of it. A little compassion and common sense if you please. We are dealing with flesh and blood human beings, warts and all here, not a collection of plaster of Paris saints. Camilla looks great. We should rejoice in it. cheers. Thomas Parkman

BeatrixFan said:
Interesting that a post like this comes along. Today I was thinking about Camilla's last year. And it's staggering.

When they announced they were going to be married, the Diana loons went into a frenzy trying to find every shred of legal evidence that implied they couldn't get married. They wrote to the Archbishop of Canterbury, they made posters, they even claimed Camilla was a Catholic. The more sane people said, "Good on them" and people with understanding of the human condition and fans of Charles said, "Yes! At last".

Then they married and the reports stopped being of "Ugly Camilla" and were "Stunning Camilla", saying how beautiful she was. The wedding was over and on her very first private engagement, a little girl kissed her and gave her a note which said, "We think you'll be a lovely Queen".

And from that moment, it's got better and better. She came out with her first tiara and wowed people. Her trip to America was a triumph. She is being likened to the Queen Mother and people now expect to see her at events - so much so that she no longer is the centre of attention at a State Banquet - it's just natural that she should be there.

People are desperate to have her as a Patron or to see her at official functions. She's been seen kissing the Queen in public on two seperate occassions, she's enjoying the jewellery vaults and the press are bowled over - The Sun called for people to throw things at her back in the day - and yesterday they printed, "Caring Camilla" as a headline. The Mirror, equally nasty in years gone by, today printed, "Dazzling Camilla".

So it doesn't matter whether the Queen Mother liked her or didn't. It doesn't matter if Diana fans like her or not. What matters is that her people like her - and they do. She's come so far in a short space of time. The future is definately bright and clinging to excuses about "So and So didn't like her" just make you sound desperate. It seems that you're spluttering and falling over yourself to get the first dig in and at one time, that was fashionable and accepted. But not any more. So let's have a bit more respect for my future Queen eh?

Camilla is neither totally good or totally bad. She is a victim of circumstance. Unfortunately, she was not seen as proper material for a Prince of Wales, but some how as very used merchandise she made it. Which goes to prove, no one can figure out how the royal family will accept things. Diana was used a a proper brood mare and more's the pity, because she was beautiful and very caring. She turned out two very wonderful princes. That was her job. Camilla is middle aged and fairly frumpy. Her visit to the U.S. was not a triumph, it was a ho-hum, as Americans could have basically cared less. People are more interested in female royals than male, as their clothing and jewelry is more interesting. Camilla tries. Charles loves her. It is really a sad story. You future queen in many circles is considered damaged goods. But that was a gift from the very people who are now pushing her. If Diana had behaved as the royal family had expected, Camilla would just be "the mistress" now.

Redfox, did you perhaps miss my post directly under BeatrixFan's, asking people to get back on topic?

Sorry, did not see that post, so I appologize. As for the Aquamarie parure on the queen, but itself they are magnificent stones, on her they look like giant gumdrops and are very unbecoming. I know she wore them to be polite, but she looks much better in other tiaras.

Elspeth said:
Camilla wore the Durbar tiara last year, which was made for Queen Mary, so she's now worn tiaras belonging to both Queen Mary and the Queen Mother.

I thought that the Durbar tiara had passed down to the Queen Mother from Queen Mary but she wore it only once. Corazon is right - Camilla is getting the Queen Mum's jewels.

I like the Aquamarine Parure on the Queen. Aquamarines are some of my favorite stones, and I think they're quite underrated, really. If a tiara with aquamarines and pearls existed, I'd want it.

The Brazilian president at the time, Lula da Silva, is now in jail serving a 12-year sentence for corruption and money laundering. He is also a defendant in five or so other criminal lawsuits which may add to his incarceration time if he is found guilty again.

Unfortunately, Mr. da Silva was made at the time a Knight of the Order of the Bath by H.M. The Queen. He is also a Knight by the way of the Danish Order of the Elephant, the Swedish Order of the Seraphim, and the Order of the Netherlands Lion. Now that he is a convicted criminal, could those honors be revoked ?

Back
Top Bottom