State Visit from the King of Saudi Arabia: October 30-November 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find slightly strange is how the Prince of Wales boycotted the Chinese state visit but he didn't do the same with the Saudi visit. Double standards?

If you go to the isifa photo agency site and type "Saudi Arabia" into the search engine pictures of the visit come up and on pages 6 and 7 of the photos there are great pics of all the Royals arriving for the banquet.

we can not be sure he boycotted the official banquet by not attending, he was not in the country, it might have been on purpose but that is something you can not prove:flowers:

What I find slightly strange is how the Prince of Wales boycotted the Chinese state visit but he didn't do the same with the Saudi visit. Double standards?

HRH Duchess of Corwall - Photo wearing new "Family Order"

Hello colleagues - you'll notice, if you've not already seen this photo prior (see LINK below) that The Duchess is wearing her new "Family Order" recently received from Her Majesty. This Daily Mail photo was taken with Prince Charles on their way to the State Dinner for the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. It is my understanding that it was the late King Fahd who dropped "His Majesty" in favor of formally being titled "The Custodian..." - am I correct?
Camilla becomes the royal dazzler at controversial banquet | the Daily Mail

are there any pics from the return banquet what was the queen wearing

Perhaps... the presents from Chinese are not as valuable as presents given by the Saudi Royals... ;)

The struggle of the Dalai Lama, largely influenced by the Chinese government is something Charles felt passionate about so it's believed.

But to not attend a banquet in honour of a King and Dynasty who have long 'favoured' a 'rapport' with the Windsors via ample gems? Tut tut Sam, how could Charles not attend? ;)...hehe.

Last edited:
True. But if the President of China gave Camilla a whopper would Charles attend a banquet? We just don't know. I suppose they attend what they're told to attend but I just didnt like the idea of this one. And I wasn't invited so I couldn't give the King a set of "I love Lucy" DVDs which I know he just lurves.

This is a question for someone familiar with middle eastern customs. One often see the men having only the right arm in the sleeve of their traditional outer garment (can not remember the name of it) and the left arm not in the sleeve but holding the robe from slipping off the left shoulder. I am familiar with the right hand vs left hand uses but not the sleeve issue? Can anyone shed some light???

Diplomacy is largely dependent on situational variables

If China “steps on the UK’s throat” tomorrow, the British Royal Family and the British government will quickly find shared values with the Chinese government. Prince Charles will forget about any violations of human rights or Dalai Lama altogether. It seems to me that the British Royal Family is not particularly fond of China and does not hesitate to display it on a regular basis.
As for Prince Charles’ attendance of the banquet in question, I totally share the view of Madam Royale (see post #121 in this thread). Plus, the official banquet is a good reason to show Duchess of Cornwall fully dressed up. Why should anybody bother about human rights and situation of women in Saudi Arabia, if Duchess of Cornwall has got the Family Order?

I've deleted several posts that were way off topic and were into the general issues of politics and religion, which we don't allow. If there are any more posts on the topic, feel free to carry on with this thread; if not, and if international politics and comparative religion is the subject you want to talk about, I'm afraid you'll have to find another forum.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Hi, would anyone know what the Menu was for the State Banquet given by the Queen for King Abdullah?.......I assume the Food would have been same for everyone?

Also, with the King being Tee-total, what drink would he have been served?

Apparantly water was served but I'm not sure about the menu itself.

I'm glad for Elspeth intervening finally. We were being sidetracked from the event itself. About the question of the menu, I believe the Times article by Alan Hamilton discussed it somewhat. It was posted on the thread.... I'll try to find it.

29 October 2007
HRH The Prince of Wales greets HM King Abdullah at Heathrow airport.
See Getty Pictures
See Abaca Pictures

30 October 2007
The formal welcoming ceremony for HM King Abdullah at Horse Guards Parade, where he inspects the Household Cavalry, followed by a viewing of the Royal Collection in the Buckingham Palace Picture Gallery and a State banquet. See Pictures from All of the Events
See Pictures from the Banquet

31 October 2007
* HRH The Prince of Wales receives HM King Abdullah at Clarence House
See Pictures
* King Abdullah has a meeting with Prime Minister Brown at 10 Downing Street See Pictures
* Lord Mayor's Reception at The Guildhall for King Abdullah attended by HRH The Duke of York See Pictures

1 November 2007
* HM The Queen watches the departing of the King from the Palace. See Abaca Pictures (2)
See Getty Pictures (5)

Last edited:
HM looks fantastic in that emerald suit. Easily one of her best looks.

The menu for the banquet sounds yummy but it must have been a bit bland eating it whilst drinking water. A glass of wine would have gone down a treat. I don't see why EVERYONE at the banquet had to drink water as I'm sure His Majesty would not have minded non Muslim guests having some wine. I mean, when President Bush attended his banquet at the palace he stuck to water but everyone else got a drink and he didn't object even though he is a self-confessed recovering alcoholic.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know. I don't think anything was all that dazzling on the menu, except the venison. But that's just me. . . .

The Royal Family Order of Elizabeth II (FOEII) is an an order awarded by Her Majesty, at her discretion, to female members of her family.

It is a personal memento of sorts, not a state honour.

Oh ok thanks...and what other females in the fam, besides Camilla and Diana, have it?

The current holders of the RFO: the Duchess of Cornwall, the Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra. Until their deaths the Order was also held by the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Princess Alice of Gloucester and Diana.

The current holders of the RFO: the Duchess of Cornwall, the Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Duchess of Gloucester, the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra. Until their deaths the Order was also held by the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Princess Alice of Gloucester and Diana.

No order for Princess Michael of Kent then?

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie will likely be the next to have the order. I wonder when they will attend their first tiara event. Maybe one of them will someday wear the Teck Crescent tiara. It's the one their mother wore, right?

Warren, didn't Princess Marina have the Family Order?

Yes, and Queen Mary, the late Princess Royal and Princess Alice of Athlone.

Saudi Arabia State Banquet Menu.

The state banquet beginned with fillets of sole with salmon mousse and butter sauce, followed by venison with stuffed tomatoes and braised lettuce. Vegetables will consist of chateau potatoes, broccoli in a hollandaise sauce, a panache of root vegetables and a salad of pears, walnuts and celery. Pudding is a raspberry shortbread tartlet.

The non-Muslim guests will be invited to drink Puligny-Montrachet, Les Champs Gain 2000, Bouchard Pere et Fils Chateau Pichon Longueville, Comtesse de Lalande 1986, and Bollinger Grande Annee 1996. The port will be Taylor's, 1977 vintage.

No order for Princess Michael of Kent then?

So it would seem.

I think it certainly illustrates that the Order is awarded at Her Majesty's discretion and favour to those who display a service to 'the' crown, rather, than that of their own.lol.

How did you know? I could not find it on internet. Am glad that all the guests were respected in their wishes.
Wonder if when invited to SA they do serve alcohol to the guests who do drink and wish to do so.:flowers:

The state banquet beginned with fillets of sole with salmon mousse and butter sauce, followed by venison with stuffed tomatoes and braised lettuce. Vegetables will consist of chateau potatoes, broccoli in a hollandaise sauce, a panache of root vegetables and a salad of pears, walnuts and celery. Pudding is a raspberry shortbread tartlet.

The non-Muslim guests will be invited to drink Puligny-Montrachet, Les Champs Gain 2000, Bouchard Pere et Fils Chateau Pichon Longueville, Comtesse de Lalande 1986, and Bollinger Grande Annee 1996. The port will be Taylor's, 1977 vintage.

and Bollinger Grande Annee 1996. The port will be Taylor's, 1977 vintage.
What cheapskates to only serve Bolli! :lol:

How did you know? I could not find it on internet. Am glad that all the guests were respected in their wishes.
Wonder if when invited to SA they do serve alcohol to the guests who do drink and wish to do so.:flowers:
Alcohol is a forbidden substance, possession is punishable by imprisonment and/or corporal punishment

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom