State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the Monarchs are only reigning and all is decided by their Prime Minister and Parlement. I agree with Mbruno , never a King in his speech,( unprepared by himself) will express political opinions.

I suspect his comments in terms of Brexit reflect the Dutch government view, though they may not go over well with the (small) majority of British people who voted for Brexit which therefore makes them undesirable given he is about to visit.

These comments by the king are an absolute disgrace. How difficult is it to say, when asked, "I hope our two countries have a positive relationship going forward and the details of said relationship are up to the politicians"? It's not difficult at all for anyone with 2 working brain cells.

Could you imagine, in a million years, Queen Elizabeth II making such remarks? Let alone before you are a guest of the nation you're trashing? The sheer rudeness is beyond belief. First the Belgian king and now the Dutch king seem to see it as their right to lecture the British people for exercising their democratic right.

All this does is make me more glad than ever before to be leaving the EU.

Don't worry. Despite four Anglo-Dutch Wars and the maritime rivalry, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands have been "natural allies" and the ties between the countries are strong. Just a look to the giants Shell Oil and Unilever, both the product of historial (and successful) mergers of British and Dutch companies, learns how intensive the cooperation is.

There is no way that the Netherlands wants a distance to the United Kingdom. If the King says anything about Brexit, then it will be that the Dutch wants to continue the excellent relationship between the neighbours-over-sea, Brexit or no Brexit.

A State Visit needs cooperation between the host and the guests. Seeing that the last return event was by the Obamas, learns that it is possibly the British wish to minimize it. We have seen in Paris or in Lisbon that the Dutch can pack out with dazzling venues, like the Petit-Palais in Paris to thank the hosts. Sometimes they can pack out with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, or a spectacular performance by the Nederlands Dans Theater, etc. The costs are the least worry.

So that this visit lasts two days has to do with the hosts. After all: this week the King and Queen will visit Germany for four days.

Last edited:
These comments by the king are an absolute disgrace. How difficult is it to say, when asked, "I hope our two countries have a positive relationship going forward and the details of said relationship are up to the politicians"? It's not difficult at all for anyone with 2 working brain cells.

Could you imagine, in a million years, Queen Elizabeth II making such remarks? Let alone before you are a guest of the nation you're trashing? The sheer rudeness is beyond belief. First the Belgian king and now the Dutch king seem to see it as their right to lecture the British people for exercising their democratic right.

Which comments of the King? Quote please. Words are laid in his mouth and in contrary to what The Guardian describes in that shallow article ("in his room with putti and a guilded fireplace") there is NO word about it in Dutch media and I have not heard any single politician about it.

By the way, you are making a mistake: unlike the British Queen, the Dutch King is NOT impartial. He is an integral part of the Government and can voice what he wants as long as he is backed by the Government. That the Dutch Government is sorry to see the British go is no secret and understandably this is voiced by their fellow member, the King. What he says, and will say, is the position of the Dutch Government, not that of an impartial figure.

Last edited:
This state visit is light weight? It doesn't seem like a lot of activities going on. I don't understand why William and Kate may be showing up only at the banquet. They are future king and queen and I would think they would need to be more involved in such an event.

Yes, but that was clear when they announced it was only a 2 day visit.:bang:
What a missed opportunity! Unfortunately not comparable to the last one in Nov. 1982....:ermm: with a state banquet at BP, the return banquet at Hampton Court and the Guildall event....!

And remember that it will take decades again for anoter dutch state visit to te UK!

I agree that it is a missed opportunity but I don't see why it will take decades for another state visit: when Charles is king he can visit and invite all European monarchies again.

Which comments of the King? Quote please. Words are laid in his mouth and in contrary to what The Guardian describes in that shallow article ("in his room with putti and a guilded fireplace") there is NO word about it in Dutch media and I have not heard any single politician about it.

By the way, you are making a mistake: unlike the British Queen, the Dutch King is NOT impartial. He is an integral part of the Government and can voice what he wants as long as he is backed by the Government. That the Dutch Government is sorry to see the British go is no secret and understandably this is voiced by their fellow member, the King. What he says, and will say, is the position of the Dutch Government, not that of an impartial figure.
The Dutch news did pick it up: the NOS references the British press in one of their latest articles on their website; it specifically mentions that the British journalists were invited by the king at Noordeinde Palace ahead of his state visit to the UK, so it makes sense that the British press is the one to publish about it (although they are not allowed to quote the king).

The king is indeed expressing the Dutch government's position - something he already stated prior to the Brexit-vote in the European parliament -; he also specifically stated that while the Dutch would rather not see the British leave the EU, the Netherlands of course respects the will of the British people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait for the State Visit to get underway. I’m sure the Cambridge’s will be at the State Banquet. The Dutch are more generous with their royal orders than the British.

Not sure why the Wessexes are getting such a prominent role. The Cambridge’s are on hand now.

According to official precedent the son of the monarch is more important than the grandson of the monarch - even if said grandson it the future King.

Edward is the son of the monarch and so is more appropriate for this event than the grandson.

William may be used for republics but for other monarchies who understand the importance of being the child compared to the grandchild of the monarch having the son of the monarch makes sense.

If Charles and Camilla were available they would have done this duty - as they often do.

William and Kate will attend the State Banquet not doubt but otherwise the children of the monarch will take on the more prominent roles.

This state visit is light weight? It doesn't seem like a lot of activities going on. I don't understand why William and Kate may be showing up only at the banquet. They are future king and queen and I would think they would need to be more involved in such an event.

They are only the grandson and granddaughter-in-law of the monarch.

The children and children-in-law are more important.

It is based on relationship to the monarch not line of succession.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to official precedent the son of the monarch is more important than the grandson of the monarch - even if said grandson it the future King.

Edward is the son of the monarch and so is more appropriate for this event than the grandson.

William may be used for republics but for other monarchies who understand the importance of being the child compared to the grandchild of the monarch having the son of the monarch makes sense.

If Charles and Camilla were available they would have done this duty - as they often do.

William and Kate will attend the State Banquet not doubt but otherwise the children of the monarch will take on the more prominent roles.

Charles and Camilla already welcome the king and queen before they go to meet the queen, will receive them for tea at Clarence House and will surely attend the state banquet, so it seems like the job was divided between C&C taking the first day and E&S the second day.

Well, I am excited! I know Maxima will bring out her big guns in the jewel department!

This isn't as grand as the Spanish visit, but the ties are different between the two monarchies and between the two governments.

It IMO makes sense that the Wessexes are taking part given their close relationships with the continental royals, including Maxima and WA. I am surprised that Kate and William aren't doing at least one engagement though. Kate did a day away and met King WA a year (2 years?) ago and both the Cambridges have met Maxima and WA a couple of times over the years (wedding, Remembrance Day, etc). I suppose we may see them at the State Dinner or luncheon.

I am not sure if that is true. Harry participated in the Spanish State Visit and accompanied them to an engagement though he is the grandson of the monarch.

I think it would be a mistake for William to not attend an engagement or at the very least greet the monarchs.

Kate's first solo trip abroad was to the Netherlands, they've meet before at Remembrance Day

Last edited:
But isn't that the strange thing. Handing them out to foreigners so willingly without acknowledging the fontribution of your own who did way more for your country than your visitors will ever do.

That´s not the point about awarding orders these days; it is rather a symbolic, diplomatic gesture as a sign of friendship and politeness other than fontribution

Well, I actually like our monarchs to be a bit more outspoken than they used to be in the past decades! This diplomatic reluctance makes me sick from time to time...
In that respect I wonder that is why the King and Queen will meet Anthony Corbyn, which really surprised me...?!

And I can´t find anything "rude" in here - on the contrary. He didn´t say "Oh, thanks to the Lord - finally you are out!" The King spoke about the valuable contribution of Britain he fears that will be lost for the rest of europe by Brexit and about Britains advantages and cultural uniquenesses.

Last edited:
The Dutch media have reported it as "King expressed worries about Brexit" (note the exclamation marks) and refer to The Guardian and The Independent which claim the King has expressed his worries about the effects of Brexit but is confident that the close and excellent relationships will continue.

When a "hard Brexit" occurs, Ireland and the Netherlands will be the two hardest hit members from the EU27. So this stance is no surprise and reflects the position of the Dutch Government.

King Willem-Alexander is said to be sorry about the British intention to leave the European Union. According British media he would have voiced this against British journalists whom were invited at Noordeinde Palace.

The King would have stated that it was better and easier for the trade relationship when the British would remain in the EU. The King is said to stand behind Michel Barnier, the Brexit-negotiator on behalf of the EU. With this the King expresses the viewpoint of the Government.

In the end of this month the royal couple will bring a State Visit to the United Kingdom. Then Brexit is on the agenda, amongst others in meetings with expats.

Last edited:
For so far the for sure attending royals:
- Elizabeth II
- Willem-Alexander
- Máxima
- Charles
- Camilla
- Edward of Wessex
- Sophie
- Edward of Kent

Tuesday October 23rd 2018

Public audience at the residence of the Ambassador of the Netherlands
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Private audience at the residence of the Ambassador of the Netherlands

- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima
- HRH The Prince of Wales
- HRH The Duchess of Cornwall

Welcome ceremony at Horse Guards' Parade
- HM The Queen
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Visit to Westminster Abbey (graves of King Willem III and Queen Mary II)
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Address of The King to the Parliament at Westminster Hall
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Tea at Clarence House
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Audience with the Leader of the Opposition
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

State Banquet at Buckingham Palace
- HM The Queen
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Wednesday October 24th 2018

Breakfast with The Lord Mayor of the City of London

- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima
- HRH The Earl of Wessex
- HRH The Countess of Wessex

The Thames - aboard of Zr. Ms Zeeland
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima
- HRH The Duke of Kent

Visit to Brixton
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima
- HRH The Earl of Wessex
- HRH The Countess of Wessex

10 Downing Street - lunch with the Prime Minister
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Buckingham Palace - farewell
- HM The Queen
- HM The King
- HM Queen Máxima

Last edited:
That´s not the point about awarding orders these days; it is rather a symbolic, diplomatic gesture as a sign of friendship and politeness other than fontribution

I know that's not how they are used but why not extend the same courtesy to your own royals by awarding them these symbolic orders... instead of restricting that honour to one time visitors (in some cases).

It is important to note that when it is about dynastic Orders (for an example the Order of the House of Orange) it is not subject to reciprocity from state to state but in the King's own pleasure.

When King Willem-Alexander -by surprise- already gave the highest State Order to the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark, he did this with a Royal Decree, which requires a ministerial contraseign.

He gave the Order of the House of Orange (a dynastic Order) to Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, he did this with a Court Decree, which is purely in his own will and pleasure and requires no ministerial contraseign.

I expect Orders for Camilla, Edward and Sophie.

I think it would be a mistake for William to not attend an engagement or at the very least greet the monarchs.

Kate's first solo trip abroad was to the Netherlands, they've meet before at Remembrance Day

I really hope William and Kate will be at the state banquet. (Just so I can see what she wears)! ;) I will be so disappointed if they aren't.
I mostly want to see pictures of her and Queen Maxima (I don't follow Sophie Wessex much).

I really hope William and Kate will be at the state banquet. (Just so I can see what she wears)! ;) I will be so disappointed if they aren't.
I mostly want to see pictures of her and Queen Maxima (I don't follow Sophie Wessex much).

I believe the Cambridge’s will be at the State Banquet.

I believe the Cambridge’s will be at the State Banquet.

Someone said earlier that the kids school break is the same time period so perhaps they will be away? I thought for sure they would be taking part in engagements for this visit so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t attend the dinner even if I thought that was a sure thing before. I love seeing tiaras so I am hoping Kate does attend for the extra bling factor!

Someone said earlier that the kids school break is the same time period so perhaps they will be away? I thought for sure they would be taking part in engagements for this visit so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t attend the dinner even if I thought that was a sure thing before. I love seeing tiaras so I am hoping Kate does attend for the extra bling factor!

The Banquet will only be for a couple of hours, I’m sure they can step away and attend. It’ll be their third State Banquet.

The Banquet will only be for a couple of hours, I’m sure they can step away and attend. It’ll be their third State Banquet.

I mean I agree, but that doesn’t mean they will lol

But I hope she wears a different tiara, instead of the Lover's Knot again.

ABSOLUTELY..

But I don't hold His Majesty responsible for his awful breach of protocol [and good manners], as Monarch's say NOTHING that isn't approved by their Governments.

Nonetheless it 'leaves an unpleasant taste in the Mouth'..

But I hope she wears a different tiara, instead of the Lover's Knot again.

But the Lover´s Knot is her best so far and very appropriate for a royal incoming st. visit and I´be never seen a royal lady before this tiara suits so splendidly well like the Dss of Cambridge.

ABSOLUTELY..

But I don't hold His Majesty responsible for his awful breach of protocol [and good manners], as Monarch's say NOTHING that isn't approved by their Governments.

I disagree. The King just expresses his hope that the good relationship between the 2 countries remain as good as ever, despite Britain leaving the EU. What is bad about that?!
It is also true that it is from now on up to the politicians to make the best of it so that good relationships between the european countries and the UK may remain as good and strong as they are since decades. The King didn´t say anything awful, shameful, offensive or false - on the contrary!

ABSOLUTELY..

The King is sorry to see the British go, thinks it will have an effect on economy and trade, but is convinced that the ties between two countries will remain excellent and as intensive as always.

In the case of a hard Brexit, it is exactly - after Ireland- the Netherlands which will get the second most serious blow, because of the negative effects on the very intensive trade relationship between the two overseas neighbours.

It would be strange that the head of state and member of the Government of the Netherlands, does not voice this opinion. The British frame of an impartial Queen does not fit in the Dutch Constitution, where the Government comprises of The King and the ministers. There is no such thing as HM's Opposition in the Netherlands, because the King is "in the other camp" : that of the Government.

The words laid in the King's mouth fits 100% with the position of the Dutch Government and not one Dutch politician has uttered any word to this. Only in the fantasy of The Guardian

Last edited:
In 1982 at the last Dutch State Visit, we saw:

The Queen (Orde in de Nederlandsche Leeuw)
The Duke of Edinburgh (Orde in de Nederlandsche Leeuw)
Queen Beatrix (Royal Victorian Chain + Royal Victorian Order)
Prince Claus (Royal Victorian Order)
Queen Elizabeth (Orde in de Nederlandsche Leeuw)
The Prince of Wales (Orde van Oranje-Nassau + Huisorde van Oranje)
The Princess of Wales (Huisorde van Oranje)
The Princess Royal (Orde van Oranje-Nassau)
The Princess Margaret (Orde in de Nederlandsche Leeuw)

Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone sadly died a year earlier.
She had Dutch Orders as well.

I am not sure if Princess Alexandra attended parts the state visit, but she did receive the Huisorde (Order of the Crown) during this visit in 1982.

Last edited:
Don’t know if the Cambridges will take part but as with everything else if they’re required to attend they’ll be there.

It’s difficult during a two day visit for all the players to be involved. Naturally you’ll see Charles and Camilla take the lead but after that who knows.

I’m not surprised at all to see Sophie and Edward playing the role they are. By all accounts they’re personal friends with the king and Queen, and besides we all known the BRF works very differently to other families. The Queen’s children and even cousins routinely play major roles during events.

In past state events we’ve seen the Cambridges take part in hosting but no state banquet. We’ve seen them host and attend the state banquet and we’ve seen them just attend the state banquet.

All sorts of different roles and combinations but the Firm is so large that not every senior royal attends every major event. Even Charles for various reasons doesn’t attend everything.

I hope the Cambridge's take part in this State Visit but I do wonder if, with it being over school holiday time, they will be away. That said, as Rudolph points out the BRF is one of the largest, the Queen and Prince of Wales will be involved as expected and the Wessex's and Duke of Kent are bonus' on top of that (In addition to the family members we will see at the state banquet)

I expect to see the Dukes of Cambridge at the state banquet. Will we have a state visit from the Kings of Belgium to the UK next year?

Back
Top Bottom