The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus

State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: March 8-10, 2016 {Postponed}

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...enofSpain.aspx

King Felipe VI, accompanied by Queen Letizia of Spain, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 8th to 10th March 2016.

The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Windsor Castle.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness

Hurrah ! They will be MOST welcome.

No downgrading to 'Lounge suits & Short Dresses' for our State Banquets...

Old 12-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Very exciting news. Thank God there will be a new royal State Visit to the UK! Been waiting for something like this like forever.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Majesty

Look forward to it. I would have thought that Spain would have hosted this visit.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting that it will be again a State Visit based at Windsor Castle. Wasn't that also the case for the State Visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the UK?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

Finally (!!!) a monarchy/ monarchy state visit once more!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

They also used it for the French state visit IIRC. Since the roof of the dining room in Buckingham palace is unsafe I suppose they don't have another option either.

But a nice thing to look forward to. Hopefully we will see the Fleur-de-Lys on Queen Letizia.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The banqueting hall in Windsor is absolutely beautiful, so I'm glad to see it again. I didn't know that the roof in BP was unsafe. They just had a banquet there for China, so it can't be too dangerous?

Anyway, this is going to be a major event to look forward to. Let's hope to see both the PoW/DoCo and the Cambridges. And some bigger tiaras for Queen Letizis, I don't mind it she wears the fleur-de-lys or one of the two Cartier tiaras.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The banqueting hall in Windsor is absolutely beautiful, so I'm glad to see it again. I didn't know that the roof in BP was unsafe. They just had a banquet there for China, so it can't be too dangerous?

Anyway, this is going to be a major event to look forward to. Let's hope to see both the PoW/DoCo and the Cambridges. And some bigger tiaras for Queen Letizia, I don't mind it she wears the fleur-de-lys or one of the two Cartier tiaras.
Yeah, finally a big tiara for Queen Letizia! Looking forward to how it will suit her and how she will look like !
Bye Bine
Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Courtier

State visit by the King and Queen of Spain: March 8-10, 2016

That the State visit is based at Windsor has more to do with that the Queen is traditionally based there a month every spring during her "Easter court" than the state of the roof of the dining room at Buckingham palace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Terrific news indeed! Not unexpected since rumours had been published already, but I didn't expected any official confirmation until we would get the new government in office later this month. So it's great the official news come from the UK and we don't have to speculate longer

What was the last time that a monarch paid a State Visit to the UK? It's sure a long time since the Spanish royals paid a State Visit to another monarchy, and obviously it's the first one for F&L

Let's hope Queen Leti will bring along the big guns and we get to see the Cambridges there too. So much to look foward to!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Majesty

I think the last incoming royal state visit to the UK was on 2005 when the Norwegians visited and Camilla had her first tiara outing, with the Delhi Durbar
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

From The British monarchy twitter account.

King Felipe VI - as Crown Prince - welcomes The Queen to Spain in 1988
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVUEcX5WoAEDpn-.jpg
Old 12-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Terrific news indeed! Not unexpected since rumours had been published already, but I didn't expected any official confirmation until we would get the new government in office later this month. So it's great the official news come from the UK and we don't have to speculate longer

What was the last time that a monarch paid a State Visit to the UK? It's sure a long time since the Spanish royals paid a State Visit to another monarchy, and obviously it's the first one for F&L

Let's hope Queen Leti will bring along the big guns and we get to see the Cambridges there too. So much to look foward to!
From the announcement on the British website:
Quote:
Background
The last State Visit from Spain was by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia in 1986.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh paid a State Visit to Spain in 1988.

About time! It's been nearly 30 years!
I hope that the Cambridges will be regulars at the State Banquets from now on. But the Pow and DoCo will probably also attend, so that we won't see so much of the Cambridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the last incoming royal state visit to the UK was on 2005 when the Norwegians visited and Camilla had her first tiara outing, with the Delhi Durbar
Wouldn't it be amazing if Camilla unpacked the Delhi Durbar once more for this occasion?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
From The British monarchy twitter account.

King Felipe VI - as Crown Prince - welcomes The Queen to Spain in 1988
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVUEcX5WoAEDpn-.jpg
WONDERFUL NEWS!! Thanks for this picture. Amazing. How times change
Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Exciting news and I bet a lot of fellow royal watchers will be watching to see what tiara Letizia will be wearing!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Gentry

Yeah I am dancing. We get to see a 2 different generations/relatives of Sovereign heads, tiaras worn at the dinner banquet, their Majesties and Royal Highnesses fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Exciting news and I bet a lot of fellow royal watchers will be watching to see what tiara Letizia will be wearing!
I will like to see her wear the Fleur-de-Lys Tiara or borrow Queen Sofia's pearl and diamond loop tiara
Old 12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Aristocracy

I hope this doesn't conflict with the Cambridge tour of India. I would love to see William and Catherine at the State Banquet for the King and Queen of Spain.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...enofSpain.aspx

King Felipe VI, accompanied by Queen Letizia of Spain, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 8th to 10th March 2016.

The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Windsor Castle.
That was widely expected, and now it's official. The British government wants to ease tensions with Spain over Gibraltar and a State Visit might help.

I am curious if Charles will attend the State Banquet. If the gossip we have been hearing about on TRF is true, he feels unease around "young monarchs" and tries to avoid being with them in official events. Unlike the President of China, however, it'll be hard for the PoW to find an excuse not to attend a dinner in honor of the King of Spain.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
although it had the appearance of a state visit, that was simply classified as an Official Visit.

The last State Visit I can think of was Denmark in 2000, I believe. (although technically Qatar & UAE are monarchies)