The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm thrilled to hear this news and really looking forward to seeing the King and Queen of Spain here in the UK! I suspect this will be very well covered by the British media as the Spanish Royal Family is one of the more well known by people here in our kingdom!

I'm happy the event will be hosted at Windsor Castle and I really don't mind who attends the State Banquet - the main thing is that it's a state visit from Spain and it has been a very long time coming!
I hope you're right, but I don't think it will be much coverage.

Papers - Not much with the exception of the mail/fail.

Television - The BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

But it's not like if Charles & Camilla attend then the Cambridges can't. W&K just would be further away from the Queen, Philip, King and Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Well, there can always be an official visit overseas or a planned engagement elsewhere!!!!JUST KIDDING!!
I remember when Charles, Diana and the boys spent some of their summer vacations with the Spanish royals, so there appears to be a closeness between the two families at least.

I wonder how come the newest European reigning couple - the King and Queen of Spain - received a state visit invitation before the reigning couples of the Netherlands or Belgium. Is it because of the closer family ties?
Philippe of Belgium and Felipe VI of Spain are both third cousins once removed to Queen Elizabeth II. Willem Alexander is a much more distant relative (fifth cousin once removed ?).

Personally, I think a Belgian state visit should have priority as the last one was in 1963 and neither King Albert II nor King Philippe have been made Knights of the Garter. However, as QEII herself said, state visits are very political these days and Belgium doesn't seem to be a priority country for the UK government.

In the case of Spain specifically, i believe a desire to ease tensions over the Gibraltar dispute may be one of the motivations behind this state visit, although I don't personally think it will change anything in terms of the positions of Spain and the UK on that particular issue.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is great news. All visits by a Head of State are state visits, whether a monarchy or not; and all are at the "request" of government t. Would love to know the gov.thinking behind this visit. Time will tell.

Which government?
The British, or the visitor's?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Which government?
The British, or the visitor's?
In the final analysis - both. The one that got cancelled (cant remember date) is because a political row blew up over Gibraltar.

No state visit is about inviting individuals - its always about politics.

Ceremonial visits, ie new Kings and Queens coming to meet another Monarch are different.

If there was another row, then this could be cancelled.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

State visit by the King and Queen of Spain: March 8-10, 2016

It's the British government that offers the invitation. The Spanish accepted it. We saw this when William went to China, he delivered the invite for the Chinese President to come to UK. It's in the Queen's name but it's the government who makes the decision.

The same when the Queen goes on a outward state visit, she needs a invite first and then the UK government is going to say yes or no except when it's a realm like Canada. Then Canada is inviting it's Queen to come visit and they pay for it.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's the British government that offers the invitation. The Spanish accepted it. We saw this when William went to China, he delivered the invite for the Chinese President to come to UK. It's in the Queen's name but it's the government who makes the decision.

The same when the Queen goes on a outward state visit, she needs a invite first and then the UK government is going to say yes or no except when it's a realm like Canada. Then Canada is inviting it's Queen to come visit and they pay for it.

that is the "public" face. Its all decided long before the invitation is formally given. No government risks a snub

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Majesty

i can't wait for this - amazing news. i hope letizia goes all out for this grand state visit!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I hope you're right, but I don't think it will be much coverage.

Papers - Not much with the exception of the mail/fail.

Television - The BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China.

It might get more coverage if it happens that William and Kate attend.
That would serve to promote interest outside the UK and Spain.

(Bonus points if Harry shows up!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It might get more coverage if it happens that William and Kate attend.
That would serve to promote interest outside the UK and Spain.

(Bonus points if Harry shows up!
Television - Maybe outside the UK, but not inside the country. As I said in my post above, the BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China. If they show anything at all, it will just be some clips of the Queen's speech at the state banquet.

Papers - The Fail, Express, and maybe the Telegraph may have pictures of Kate on their front pages to show her with a tiara or show her dress.

Papers websites - The Mail will have a lot of pictures as they usually have when it's state visits and will along with the other papers be interested in the Gibraltar issue and if the Queen and Felipe mentions it in their speeches.

Royal events the UK television/papers have been very interested in since 2000.

2000 - The Queen Mother's 100th birthday

2001 - The Queen Mother in hospital

2002 - Princess Margaret death (a bit)

2002 - The Queen Mother's death and funeral

2002 - The Queen's Golden Jubilee

2003 - The Queen in hospital two times january and
december

2003 - US state visit to the UK

2005 - Charles and Camilla's wedding

2005 - Chinese state visit to UK

2006 - The Queen's 80th birthday

2008 - Philip in hospital

2010 - William and Kate's engagement

2011 - William and Kate's wedding

2011 - The Queen's state visit to Ireland

2011 - US state visit to the UK

2011 - Philip in hospital

2012 - The Queen's Diamond Jubilee

2012 - Philip in hospital two times june and august

2012 - Kate's pregnancy

2013 - The Queen in Hospital

2013 - Philip in Hospital

2013 - George's birth

2014 - Irish state visit to the UK (not as much as the state visits from US and China)

2014 - Kate's pregnancy

2015 - Charlotte's birth

2015 - The Queen becoming the longest reigning
monarch in British history

2015 - Chinese state visit to UK

The next big royal television/papers event will be the Queen's 90th birthday next year.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

There was live coverage of the Chinese State Banquet on the internet, but I don't know if it was on tv as well. But if the Spanish visit will have live coverage on the internet as well, that will be something to look forward to. Has it been done before with a Windsor banquet? I forgot what it was like at the Irish visit.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
There was live coverage of the Chinese State Banquet on the internet, but I don't know if it was on tv as well. But if the Spanish visit will have live coverage on the internet as well, that will be something to look forward to. Has it been done before with a Windsor banquet? I forgot what it was like at the Irish visit.
1 - As I wrote above, the media was very interested in the visit, and I can tell you that BBC News Channel/Sky News covered the whole visit.

2 - No it hasn't, but if the US or Chinese state visits had taken place at Windsor it would have been done.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Yes for the Irish Staqte Visit there live coverange in the Internet for the State Banquet. At last for the procession.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about live coverage of the State Banquet, it's more likely for this State Visit than other ones but probably not as likely as the Irish State Visit (which was covered throughout the days too) or the Chinese one if that makes sense.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes for the Irish Staqte Visit there live coverange in the Internet for the State Banquet. At last for the procession.
Oh, I forgot the Irish state visit to the UK and you are right, it was live coverage from Windsor on the internet. I think it was from RTÉ, and it was much coverage in the irish media/press. It was covered pretty well in the UK too, but I don't remember if the state banquet/the Queen and President's speech was sent live on UK television.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Who decides though who should attend the State Banquet ? In President Xi's case, I imagine the British government may have explicitly asked for Prince William's presence, but I can't see why they would make the same request in the case of King Felipe VI.

It would be highly unusual if Prince Charles, as the heir to the throne, did not attend a banquet in honor of a fellow European monarch. So, unless he has an excuse like not being in the UK on the day of the banquet, or being ill, I suppose it is a given that Charles and Camilla will be there. I am not so sure about William and Catherine though.

As someone mentioned, Charles has known D. Felipe since Felipe was still a teenager. However, by the same token, one could argue that Felipe has known William since William was a little boy, see the link below.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Charles and Camilla - If they are in the UK they will be there.

William and Kate - I don't know. I hope they will be there, but it's not a problem for me if they are not.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Majesty

I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the stare banquet
Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I think that the chances that the Cambridges attend the banquet will be about 50/50. Now that they had their debut at the Chinese vist, so to speak, they will most likely continue with attending some of the banquets in the future. Imo the Spanish visit will be important enough to warrant a large attendance.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the stare banquet
I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the state banquet too, but as I wrote above, I don't know if they will be there or not. I hope they will be there, but it's not a problem for me if they are not.