State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who decides though who should attend the State Banquet ? In President Xi's case, I imagine the British government may have explicitly asked for Prince William's presence, but I can't see why they would make the same request in the case of King Felipe VI.

It would be highly unusual if Prince Charles, as the heir to the throne, did not attend a banquet in honor of a fellow European monarch. So, unless he has an excuse like not being in the UK on the day of the banquet, or being ill, I suppose it is a given that Charles and Camilla will be there. I am not so sure about William and Catherine though.

As someone mentioned, Charles has known D. Felipe since Felipe was still a teenager. However, by the same token, one could argue that Felipe has known William since William was a little boy, see the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8ed19KIac

It's the British. The visiting country has a set list of people who they are bringing as their official delegation. Say 20 people and the total number of people that can attend is 100 for easy math. The British will have their usual people such as the PM, some cabinet members, Archbishop of Canterbury, Speaker of the commons, etc. Say 30 people. The Queen's private secretary probably get in touch with the other royals private secretaries to see who is free and I would think the Queen decides who is coming. 15 more. Then the rest people who the government decides to invite a lot of times prominent expats of the country involved, business leaders, people that the visiting country may find interesting. There are also backup people invited usually from the royal household who are there to fill a seat if needed.

With the Cambridges, we don't know if China was a one off or are they going to be a more constant presence at State visits and dinners.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think if the Cambridge's not on tour during State Visit and don't have any away engagements during the time, I would expect them to attend the State Banquet. Don't make much sense for them (as senior royals) to attend one banquet and then just stop attending others. I think by the events they've attended this year, they are stepping up their official roles.

Last edited:
seeing this is a state visit by a foreign european monarch, i do hope william and kate will attend, although somehow i doubt it.

The China banquet was exceptional as Charles and Camilla were not there. Will and Kate were sent, basically, as replacement for a diplomatic purpose.
I dont expect them to attend if C&C are in town.
Wait and see (and by march this thread will have about 110 pages).

Glad to see a long awaited European royal visit (not seen since 2005 and the Norwegian one if i'm not mistaken).

I hope William and Kate take part at the banquet in honor of the Kings of Spain.

The China banquet was exceptional as Charles and Camilla were not there. Will and Kate were sent, basically, as replacement for a diplomatic purpose.
I dont expect them to attend if C&C are in town.
Wait and see (and by march this thread will have about 110 pages).

Glad to see a long awaited European royal visit (not seen since 2005 and the Norwegian one if i'm not mistaken).

the last state visit by European royals was indeed the norwegian visit in 2005, but since there have been a number of visits by foreign royals from arabic countries: in 2013, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, in 2012, Kuwait, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, in 2010 the Emir of the State of Qatar and Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al-Missned.

other recent royal visits included Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik of Denmark visited in 2000 and Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan in 1998.

Incoming royal State Visits usually attract a larger attendance of members of a royal family than "normal" State Visits. It would not surprise me to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge being part of the banquet.

Look at this example. From the left to the right:
HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester
HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother
Unknown gentleman
HRH The Prince of the Netherlands
HM The Queen of the United Kingdom
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HM The Queen of the Netherlands
Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon
HRH Prince Michael of Kent
HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
The Hon. Angus Ogilvy

Last edited:
I hope the Cambridge's attend too. There's room for Charles & Camilla and William and Catherine to attend State Banquets. It shouldn't be an either-or situation.

Incoming royal State Visits usually attract a larger attendance of members of a royal family than "normal" State Visits. It would not surprise me to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge being part of the banquet.

Look at this example. From the left to the right:
HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester
HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother
Unknown gentleman
HRH The Prince of the Netherlands
HM The Queen of the United Kingdom
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HM The Queen of the Netherlands
Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon
HRH Prince Michael of Kent
HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
The Hon. Angus Ogilvy
The "unknown gentleman" next to Prince Richard of Gloucester (not yet The Duke) is his older brother Prince William of Gloucester, who died in 1972.

I hope the Cambridge's attend too. There's room for Charles & Camilla and William and Catherine to attend State Banquets. It shouldn't be an either-or situation.

exactly. We see plenty of royals attend (though we don't always get a glimpse of them), so it's not out of the realm to expect W&K to attend even if C&C do.

Spanish newspaper El Mundo has today an article regarding the upcoming State Visit. Actually, it's mostly dedicated to Windsor Castle where F&L will be hosted, but also has a couple of new informations, I think:

Both Royal Houses and embassies finalize preparations for a stay that has regulated planned events such as the meeting with Prime Minister David Cameron, but this time also include a joint celebration of the fourth centenary of the two literary greats British and Spanish, William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes.
In any case, the image of the trip will be given by the rare encounter of the two crowns, that the royal family seems ready to topple. In addition to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, who returned the visit to the former kings of Spain in 1988, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornualles and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will accompany Don Felipe and Doña Letizia. Not even a complete meeting under Windsor walls is out of the plan.
Isabel II alojará a los Reyes en Windsor | loc | EL MUNDO
Translation

I hope that the visit is not postponed.
The political crisis is not known how long it will last and so the king can not delay their commitments because of this and the visit is now scheduled for a long time.
I believe the visit will not be delayed.

I hope that the visit is not postponed.
The political crisis is not known how long it will last and so the king can not delay their commitments because of this and the visit is now scheduled for a long time.
I believe the visit will not be delayed.

I think the problem is that the old government is arranging the visit, Felipe as a figurehead will head it together with the head of government and delegations and if it is unclear who will be/remain in these positions it is difficult. A new government could have different attitude/objectives/opinions towards issues that are on the agenda than the government that arranged the visit what could be embarrassing since UK is a very sensitive issue.

I think it would be a huge difference if Rajoy goes or a possibly freshly elected prime minister Iglesias.

Indeed and the differences are for an example the position of Gibraltar, the possible Brexit, the position on Catalonian separatism which can encourage Scottish separatist feelings, etc. etc. Usually an outgoing PM can very well take a State Visit for his political responsibility but indeed... a conservative PM Rajoy or a very left-wing PM Iglesias, that is a world of difference.

Everything points that the visit will take place. I really hope is realized.

:previous: It has not been oficially postponed so far.

If true it would be a pity! First the visit to france (for obvious and severe reasons) and now this.

No surprises though. The process if governed Foston is underway and till the matter is resolved, it is probably best any such visits are not scheduled

Not good news if this cancellation is true - there was the specific timing for this visit withe the 400th anniversary celebrations and if cancelled now i wondered if it will even be reworked for a new date?

Back
Top Bottom