State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first ever US State Visit to the UK was for President George W Bush back in 2003. The second one was for President Obama in 2011.

The first ever US State Visit to the UK was for President George W Bush back in 2003. The second one was for President Obama in 2011.

Thank you Nico. I clearly should have done a bit of homework!

It's pretty amazing that 2003 was the first ever, actually, considering the much trumpeted 'special relationship' between the US and UK throughout the 20th century. Also amazing is that the Kennedys never came on a State Visit, when you remember the well known visits to Paris and to Berlin.

I know HM hosted the Pres. & Mrs. Kennedy at BP for a black tie dinner. I guess what I was thinking of was all of the black tie socializing - the Reagans & other former presidents on HMY Britannia, Pres. Ford dancing with HM at the White House, stuff like that.

No, I don't imagine cost itself is a factor..what I meant was that the standard for State Visits is that the host pays the bulk of the cost of the event as opposed to "working visits."

All this talk of foreign royals visiting the UK has got me curious about whether reciprocity is observed, which is the case for Republican Heads of State. For instance did F&L extend an invitation to the Queen and the DoE to visit Spain? Considering the advanced age of the latter, can they extend the invitation to Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall? Or was this visit already in response to a previous visit by the Spanish?

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall visited Spain in 2011. They stayed with Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia. However, they have not returned after their Coronation.

[....]

As I said before though (and was actually criticized by other posters for that), it is, however, their "humility" so to speak what actually attracts me about Philippe and Mathilde, far more so than Máxima for example, who would most definitely show up at Buckingham Palace covered in humungous jewelry (maybe the full Stuart parure !), but with a certain unpleasant "nouveau riche" feel to it (sorry, Duc ).

Funny, exactly seeing Letizia in that ultra-tight red dress, with the Gran Gruz del Orden de Isabel la Católica tucked in her bra, and with that huge thin scrolled and sparsely diamond-set diadem (therefore looking very much like a Miss Beauty Pageant tiara) made her look nouveaux-riche. Carrie Bradshaw meets Lizzie Windsor.

The only ladies who looked grand and gracious were the Duchess of Cornwall and the Princess Royal. Even Queen Elizabeth made sure she had her most unsophisticated and plonky-plonk aquamarine meccano construction set for the most prestigious royal guests.

No it was not what I expected. This Spanish State Visit was worth to see Queen Elizabeth packing out with her best diadem, the King George IV State Diadem for an example, like she did for De Gaulle. The King of Spain was worth the best and the most spectacular jewels. Now the Queen could equally have received the President of Cyprus jewelrywise.

Anyway. The State Visit has gone. New State Visits will come. But in my book there is nothing more spectacular than a State Visit between the UK and to Spain, for me the grandest monarchies. Emmanuel Macron provided impressive pomp and circumstance for the Trumps, and that was not even a State Visit at all.

It's pretty amazing that 2003 was the first ever, actually, considering the much trumpeted 'special relationship' between the US and UK throughout the 20th century. Also amazing is that the Kennedys never came on a State Visit, when you remember the well known visits to Paris and to Berlin.

2003 was the first to be called a state visit, but there were several big visits before that. I believe the dinner for Ronald Reagan at Windsor Castle was identical to a state dinner.

Last edited:
How great to see Harry at the Banquet! Finally, I'd say, remember how long it took us to see William and Kate attend state banquets.

Do we know who attended the Banquet? I do remember Kate's first (only other? not sure and going solo for that one) where she was seated at the Queen's table beside the Gueat of Honour.

This time round the Wales brothers are not so well positioned.

The top table is usually for the Queen, Philip, the guest and their spouse along with the second ranked from both countries so Charles and Camilla at the top table with whomever were the next ranked Spanish couple.

That is why William and Kate were pushed lower in the pecking order.

Do we know who attended the Banquet?.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh gave a State Banquet this evening in honour of The King and Queen of Spain at which The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Henry of Wales, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Michael of Kent and The Lady Gabriella Windsor were present.

The following had the honour of being invited:

Suite of The King and Queen of Spain:

His Excellency Mr. Alfonso Dastis-Quecedo (Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation) and Mrs. María Luisa Alonso-Horcada, His Excellency Mr. Jaime Alfonsín-Alfonso (Chief of the Royal Household), His Excellency Mr. Carlos Bastarreche-Sagües (Ambassador from the Kingdom of Spain to the Court of St. James's), His Excellency Mr. Jorge Moraga-Sánchez (Chief of the Cabinet of the President of the Government of Spain), His Excellency Mr. Jorge Toledo-Albiñana (Secretary of State for the European Union), His Excellency Mr. Carlos Espinosa del los Monteros y Bernaldo de Quirós , Marquis of Valtierra (High Commissioner of the Spanish Government for Marca España), Her Excellency Mrs. María Luisa Poncela-García (Secretary of State for Trade), Her Excellency Mrs. Carmen Vela-Olmo (Secretary of State for Research, Development and Innovation), His Excellency Vice Admiral Juan Ruiz-Casas (Head of the Military Chamber of the Royal Household), His Excellency Mr. Alfonso Sanz-Portolés (Diplomatic Counsellor, Royal Household of The King of Spain), His Excellency Mr. José Zuleta y Alejandro, Duke of Abrantes (Head of the Office of The Queen of Spain), Mr. Jordi Gutiérrez-Roldán (Director of Communications, Royal Household of The King of Spain) and Mr. Alfredo Martínez-Serrano (Chief of Protocol, Royal Household of The King of Spain).

Specially attached to The King and Queen of Spain:

The Lady Elton (Lady in Waiting), the Viscount Brookeborough (Lord in Waiting) and the Viscountess Brookeborough, Mr. Simon Manley (Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Spain) and Mrs. Manley and Wing Commander Sam Fletcher RAF (Equerry in Waiting).

Diplomatic Corps:

His Excellency the Ambassador of the State of Kuwait, His Excellency the Ambassador of Estonia and Mrs. Merli Bambus and His Excellency the High Commissioner for Malta and Mrs. Norman Hamilton.

The Cabinet and Government:

The Prime Minister and Mr. Philip May, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and Mrs. Philip Hammond, the Secretary of State for the Home Department (the Rt. Hon. Amber Rudd MP), the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (the Rt. Hon. David Davis MP), the Leader of the House of Lords (the Baroness Evans of Bowes Park) and Mr. James Wild, and the Rt. Hon. Sir Alan Duncan MP (Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office) and Mr. James Dunseath.

Special Invitations:

Ms. Katya Adler and Mr. Alexei Kidel, Mrs. Esther Alcocer Koplowitz and Mr. Pablo Santos Tejedor, Mr. Ian Blackford MP, the Lord and Lady Brennan, Mrs. Ana Botín-Sanz de Sautuola y O'Shea and Mr. Guillermo Morenés Mariátegui, Mr. Rafael del Pino Calvo-Sotelo, the Archbishop of Canterbury and Mrs. Justin Welby, Mr. and Mrs. Mark Carney, the Lord Great Chamberlain and the Marchioness of Cholmondeley, Ms. Cressida Dick, Mr. and Mrs. Warren East, Sir John and Lady Elliott, the Lord and Lady Falconer of Thoroton, Mr. Timothy Farron MP and Mrs. Farron, Dr. and Mrs. Gabriele Finaldi, the Lord Speaker and the Lady Fowler, the Lord and Lady Garel-Jones, Mrs. Miriam González Durántez and the Rt. Hon. Nicholas Clegg, the Lord and Lady Leitch, the Rt. Hon. the Lord Mayor of London and the Lady Mayoress, Sir Simon and the Hon. Lady McDonald, General Sir Gordon and Lady Messenger, the Lord and Lady Neuberger of Abbotsbury, Sir Paul and Lady Nurse, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Olisa, Mr. Josep Oliu and Ms. Victoria Quintana, Dr. Charles Powell and Dr. Sylvia Fernández-Shaw, Sir Michael and Lady Rake, Mr. Francisco Jose Riberas Mera and Ms. Lucía Burgos, Mr. Ignacio Sánchez Galán and Ms. María Isabel García-Tabernero, the Baroness Smith of Basildon and Mr. Nigel Smith, the Rt. Hon. Emily Thorberry MP and the Hon. Mr. Justice Nugee, Ms. Monica Vinader and Mr. Nick Zoll and the Duke and Duchess of Wellington.

Members of the accompanying Spanish Delegation:

His Excellency Mr. Francisco Javier Garzón-Morales, His Excellency Mr. Juan Sunyé-Mendía, Mr. Juan López-Herrera Sánchez, Mrs. Cristina Serrano-Leal, Mrs. Ana María Rodríguez-Pérez, Mr. Ricardo Rodríguez-Martinez, Mr. José María Fernández López de Turiso, Mr. José Riera-Siquier, Mr. Miguel Utray-Delgado, Mr. Juan Rosell-Lastortras and Mrs. Esther Trallero, Mr. José Luis Bonet-Ferrer and Mrs. Pilar Pastor-Nietro, Mr. Pablo Isla Álvarez-Pallete, Mr. Antonio Vázquez-Romero, Mr. José María de Areilza y Carvajal, Count of Roda and Mrs. María Salgado-Madriñán, Countess of Roda and Ms. María Ángeles Alcázar Modrego.

The top table is usually for the Queen, Philip, the guest and their spouse along with the second ranked from both countries so Charles and Camilla at the top table with whomever were the next ranked Spanish couple.

That is why William and Kate were pushed lower in the pecking order.

OK, thanks, so for Kate's first, she as William's wife was the next in line, neither Charles, Camilla or William being available.

..... State Banquet Guest List!

Thank you so much! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I think TM did a splendid job representing their country in the country!!
Bravo!!

OK, thanks, so for Kate's first, she as William's wife was the next in line, neither Charles, Camilla or William being available.

William was there also. Just not Charles or Camilla.

LaRae

I have a question that someone might be actually able to answer.

At the King's visit to the Royal Gallery of the Palace of Westminster, the Lord Speaker mentioned a painting on the wall showing Britain and Spain in conflict with each other. I suppose he was referring to the painting of Nelson at the Battle of Trafalga, where the British navy faced the combined navies of Spain and Napoleonic France. Next, however, the Lord Speaker mentioned another painting, which, according to him, depicted the Peninsular War, when Wellington defeated the French in Spain and Portugal. As far as I know though, the painting on the wall of the Royal Gallery that hangs opposite the Trafalgar picture actually shows Wellington meeting Blücher after the Battle of Waterloo, rather than showing any scene from the Peninsular War. Might the Lord Speaker have been mentioning a painting in another room, or did I get something wrong ?

BTW, it was great that the current Duke of Wellington was present at the King's speech, in his condition as a hereditary peer who was elected in 2015 to take a seat in the House of Lords under the terms of the House of Lords Act 1999. Was His Grace also present at the state dinner at Buckingham Palace ?

According to the CC entry in #791 above he and the Duchess were present - last entry in the list under Special Invitations.

Entries such as this one in the CC are issued after every State Banquet (even if the online CC doesn't think the event important enough to mention - although it did this time but others from this year are still missing e.g. Trooping the Colour) with a full list of everyone who attended.

Yes The Duke of Wellington attended the State Banquet.

He is also the 10th Duque de Ciudad Rodrigo Grandee of Spain 1st Class

Funny, exactly seeing Letizia in that ultra-tight red dress, with the Gran Gruz del Orden de Isabel la Católica tucked in her bra, and with that huge thin scrolled and sparsely diamond-set diadem (therefore looking very much like a Miss Beauty Pageant tiara) made her look nouveaux-riche. Carrie Bradshaw meets Lizzie Windsor.

The only ladies who looked grand and gracious were the Duchess of Cornwall and the Princess Royal. Even Queen Elizabeth made sure she had her most unsophisticated and plonky-plonk aquamarine meccano construction set for the most prestigious royal guests.

No it was not what I expected. This Spanish State Visit was worth to see Queen Elizabeth packing out with her best diadem, the King George IV State Diadem for an example, like she did for De Gaulle. The King of Spain was worth the best and the most spectacular jewels. Now the Queen could equally have received the President of Cyprus jewelrywise.

Anyway. The State Visit has gone. New State Visits will come. But in my book there is nothing more spectacular than a State Visit between the UK and to Spain, for me the grandest monarchies. Emmanuel Macron provided impressive pomp and circumstance for the Trumps, and that was not even a State Visit at all.

What a weird way of perception! This was one of the most wonderful and at the same time happiest of state visits since a long time!
The Queen of Spain represented her country with a great charm and dignity! I think she´ s the most beautiful Queen, having overturned Queen Rania by now, there is, which is no disadvantage. Everyone I talked to about her appearance has been absolutely breathtaken!
As one could very clearly see when the spanish royal couple left Buckingham Palace to leave for Oxford, the Queen and Prince Philip have been grown very fond of both of them.

When it comes to your remarks about the Windsors making no difference between royal and republican state visit I can only say, yes, there mustn´t be any differences regarding the procedures and protocol of a state visit between presidents and Royals! Every head of state has the right to be received by the Queen of Britain with exactly the same standards! Anything else would be a diplomatic embarressment. And why should a 91 year old lady wear a pretty heavy diadem, comparing to tiaras, which she hasn´t done so for over half a century at a state visit, only because this is the King of Spain?! Why then not wearing it for the danish, norwegian or dutch royal couples? Why not wear it for the US president?!
Well, Queen Letizia wore the most prestigious and best tiara of the Bourbons - but that doesn´t satisfy you either....

The Trump visit to France was just as grand?! I haven´t seen the 2 men in a horse drawn carriage procession, Trump didn´t receive gun salutes or a lavish white tie banquet at Versailles or the Elysée Palace....:whistling:
Sometimes I really wonder if you are living on the same planet like the rest of us.... Wake up! This is the 21st century and we, who love to see these kind of traditions and ceremonies, should be happy that something like this has survived at all!
Reading some of your posts I always use to think of an interview of the younger brother of Prcss Gloria of Thurn and Taxis, as he said "There is nobody so snobbish like the average common public!" I think that rounds it all up perfectly.

Last edited:
What a weird way of perception! This was one of the most wonderful and at the same time happiest of state visits since a long time!
The Queen of Spain represented her country with a great charm and dignity! I think she´ s the most beautiful Queen, having overturned Queen Rania by now, there is, which is no disadvantage. Everyone I talked to about her appearance has been absolutely breathtaken!
As one could very clearly see when the spanish royal couple left Buckingham Palace to leave for Oxford, the Queen and Prince Philip have been grown very fond of both of them.

When it comes to your remarks about the Windsors making no difference between royal and republican state visit I can only say, yes, there mustn´t be any differences regarding the procedures and protocol of a state visit between presidents and Royals! Every head of state has the right to be received by the Queen of Britain with exactly the same standards! Anything else would be a diplomatic embarressment. And why should a 91 year old lady wear a pretty heavy diadem, comparing to tiaras, which she hasn´t done so for over half a century at a state visit, only because this is the King of Spain?! Why then not wearing it for the danish, norwegian or dutch royal couples? Why not wear it for the US president?!
Well, Queen Letizia wore the most prestigious and best tiara of the Bourbons - but that doesn´t satisfy you either....

The Trump visit to France was just as grand?! I haven´t seen the 2 men in a horse drawn carriage procession, Trump didn´t receive gun salutes or a lavish white tie banquet at Versailles or the Elysée Palace....:whistling:
Sometimes I really wonder if you are living on the same planet like the rest of us.... Wake up! This is the 21st century and we, who love to see these kind of traditions and ceremonies, should be happy that something like this has survived at all!
Reading some of your posts I always use to think of an interview of the younger brother of Prcss Gloria of Thurn and Taxis, as he said "There is nobody so snobbish like the average common public!" I think that rounds it all up perfectly.

I must say Duc has a point that the modern aquamarine tiara is not what most people expected the Queen to wear at a Spanish state visit when she has so many other historical family heirlooms she could have worn instead (besides, I agree the tiara is ugly IMHO). However, QEII has been wearing those modern tiaras (the aquamarine, the ruby and the sapphire) quite often lately and, who knows, maybe she feels more comfortable wearing one of those than the older tiaras. I think that, at the age of 91, she is entitled to make those choices and no one should complain about it.

HM, The Queen could show up for a state banquet wearing one of those paper crowns you can get from Burger King and still command the respect and the courtesy afforded to a much beloved monarch that has given a lifetime of duty to crown and country. :D

You are right Wartenberg , a great Official Visit of Spain's young Monarchs.

I must say Duc has a point that the modern aquamarine tiara is not what most people expected the Queen to wear at a Spanish state visit when she has so many other historical family heirlooms she could have worn instead (besides, I agree the tiara is ugly IMHO). However, QEII has been wearing those modern tiaras (the aquamarine, the ruby and the sapphire) quite often lately and, who knows, maybe she feels more comfortable wearing one of those than the older tiaras. I think that, at the age of 91, she is entitled to make those choices and no one should complain about it.

Is that it what it´s about? Certain royal watchers EXPECT a royal to wear this and that and the royals have to obey?! Certainly not! The british Queen, like any other Royal or any normal citizen can decide for themselves what or what not to wear for this and that occasion!
When the Queen of Spain, who, like her mother-in-law or old Queen Fabiola in later life, never showed great fondness about wearing hats, because, like in most countries these days, it is absolutely outdated to do so, she´s entiteled to go bareheaded! I´m sure neither her husband, Prince Harry nor any clergyman in Westminster Abbey lost a single thought about it...!
Elizabeth II HAS many heirlooms but HM choose to wear THIS particular tiara (which I must admit, also don´t like, but has the Queen to be aware what jewels we like to see on her...?!) Is it up to us to decide who should wear hats, gloves and stuff like that? Some people seem to be quite megalomaniac IMO.... It is like in real life; some will never be satisfied!

Last edited:
The Queen does seem to wear her newer tiara's more frequently, IMO they are likely lighter and easier to wear than the older ones.

Thanks to everyone who have posted so many links, videos and information on this state visit. It has truly been glorious. I think that monarch to monarch state visits are the best of all. To think that QMII has hosted his maternal grandparents, parents and now King Felipe VI himself. While Buckingham Palace is nice for a state visit location, I much prefer Windsor Castle for the sheer majesty, grandeur and history. But that is a minor quibble.
I am sure that a head of state cannot be more impressed by the ceremony of a British state welcome.

WELL DONE BRITS!!!!!

Last edited:
I've been delighted with everything I've seen of this State Visit.
The farewells and gentle embraces at Buckingham Palace were especially touching in their genuine warmth and affection.
Spain, I admire your King and his Queen Consort very much! :flowers:

When it comes to your remarks about the Windsors making no difference between royal and republican state visit I can only say, yes, there mustn´t be any differences regarding the procedures and protocol of a state visit between presidents and Royals! Every head of state has the right to be received by the Queen of Britain with exactly the same standards! Anything else would be a diplomatic embarressment. And why should a 91 year old lady wear a pretty heavy diadem, comparing to tiaras, which she hasn´t done so for over half a century at a state visit, only because this is the King of Spain?! Why then not wearing it for the danish, norwegian or dutch royal couples? Why not wear it for the US president?

I think this is worth emphasizing. The Queen is the ultimate royal professional and visits like this are her job. By this point probably a very routine part of her job. It's well known that HM is always deeply involved in the planning of EVERY state visit and that the goal is perfection EVERY time. What's impressive to me is that the British always pull these visits off to perfection. Every time there are comments about the lovely personal touches, about how beautiful everything is, about what a nice connection the Queen and DoE have developed with the guests, about how this must surely be the most special visit, etc. The reality is probably closer to the Queen and DoE moving on to other things the minute the guests have departed and not thinking about them again until the next time their paths happen to cross, but you'd never know it.

I have no idea how QEII decides which tiara to wear for each occasion.. I imagine by this point it's based purely on her mood or personal preference. Frankly, I doubt she cares enough about other monarchies to make a special effort with any aspect of her personal appearance just because her guest happens to be royal!

:previous: I have no real idea how or why she wears what she does but I do have a suspicion. It is possible that the newer ones are lighter and if that is a factor she can always revert the 'Girls' to its alternate setting. She was brought up the old fashioned way where a hostess always checks the table and centrepieces, the only difference is that instead of a big dinner party this was a State Banquet.

Was it any surprise that Leti would wear red? Probably not, but she would absolutely be wearing her blue and white order sash. Now it gets interesting, HM wears a divine white dress embroidered in blue/aqua that sets of her aquamarine parure which perfectly compliments the colour of Leti's sash as indeed does the red bow on HM's Spanish order compliment the red in Leti's dress.

It's all in the details and HM could probably sleepwalk her way through organising one of these. Just think, all those wonderful red carnations could have been real and we would still have thought "how beautiful they all are", but it boggles the mind to think of how long it must have taken to make such a profusion of sugar flowers. Now that really was some wow factor.

Funny, exactly seeing Letizia in that ultra-tight red dress, with the Gran Gruz del Orden de Isabel la Católica tucked in her bra (...)

HOW.ON.EARTH can you know the order was tucked on her bra? Did you have a look there?:D??

Honestly, you're so funny. I expect with impatience the time you point out that any royal man has anything "tucked on his boxers", though. That shall be hilarious.

Last edited:
I think this is worth emphasizing. The Queen is the ultimate royal professional and visits like this are her job. By this point probably a very routine part of her job. It's well known that HM is always deeply involved in the planning of EVERY state visit and that the goal is perfection EVERY time. What's impressive to me is that the British always pull these visits off to perfection. Every time there are comments about the lovely personal touches, about how beautiful everything is, about what a nice connection the Queen and DoE have developed with the guests, about how this must surely be the most special visit, etc. The reality is probably closer to the Queen and DoE moving on to other things the minute the guests have departed and not thinking about them again until the next time their paths happen to cross, but you'd never know it.

I have no idea how QEII decides which tiara to wear for each occasion.. I imagine by this point it's based purely on her mood or personal preference. Frankly, I doubt she cares enough about other monarchies to make a special effort with any aspect of her personal appearance just because her guest happens to be royal!

I don't know if the Queen chooses "grander" jewels depending on the visiting Head of State, but we would be definitely kidding ourselves if we assumed that all visitors get exact the same treatment. It suffices to note that the Queen only awards the Order of the Garter to other European monarchs or emperors of Japan; visiting presidents of republics normally get at most the Order of the Bath, or even no order at all ( to be fair, some like the president of the United States are constitutionally barred from getting foreign orders, but most are not).

Last edited:
Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.

Whilst I may or may not agree with the criticism of what Letizia wore to the Abbey, I don't buy the argument that becaase she had 2 back to back white tie dinners, she could not wear a more formal dress or a suit and a hat to go to the Abbey!

Back
Top Bottom