State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regardless, Charles has an already established relationship with Felipe, Philippe, & Willem. Them being King doesn't change much, besides that they outrank him. Charles is old enough and mature enough now to understand its just how things work. He might feel a pang, but I'm sure, based on his attitude in the past few years, that he's not uneasy at all.

Baseless rumors that have no fact to back them up.

Don't forget that even if he dreams of the day he becomes king it would also be the day he looses his mother.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I am curious if Charles will attend the State Banquet. If the gossip we have been hearing about on TRF is true, he feels unease around "young monarchs" and tries to avoid being with them in official events. Unlike the President of China, however, it'll be hard for the PoW to find an excuse not to attend a dinner in honor of the King of Spain.

:lol::lol::bang:Well, there can always be an official visit overseas or a planned engagement elsewhere!!!!:whistling::whistling:JUST KIDDING!!:D
I remember when Charles, Diana and the boys spent some of their summer vacations with the Spanish royals, so there appears to be a closeness between the two families at least.

I wonder how come the newest European reigning couple - the King and Queen of Spain - received a state visit invitation before the reigning couples of the Netherlands or Belgium. Is it because of the closer family ties?

:lol::lol::bang:Well, there can always be an official visit overseas or a planned engagement elsewhere!!!!:whistling::whistling:JUST KIDDING!!:D
I remember when Charles, Diana and the boys spent some of their summer vacations with the Spanish royals, so there appears to be a closeness between the two families at least.

I wonder how come the newest European reigning couple - the King and Queen of Spain - received a state visit invitation before the reigning couples of the Netherlands or Belgium. Is it because of the closer family ties?

Probaly it are political reasons. After all it is the goverment who decides who should be invited for a State Visit. Most likely for them Spain is more important then the Netherlands or Belgium. But a Belgium State Visit is overdue seeing that the last one was in 1963. And then State Visit of the Queen to Belgium was a a few years later so it is almost 50 years since the last State Visit between the 2 countries.

Last edited:
Plus with the royal wedding, diamond jubilee and Olympics, a lot of the foreign roles have been to the UK recently. A lot of times its for economical reasons that the UK picks who to come visit. Look at the China visit, it was heavy on the trade and investment events.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

In addition to political or economic reasons, UK and Spain celebrate in 2016 the 400th anniversary of the death of Shakespeare and Cervantes, so probably the visit will have much cultural content.

I just thought of another reason, with the possibility that the United Kingdom MAY exit the EU, now is the time to start strengthening individual relationships with European countries. And as one of the largest countries in Europe, Spain would be a good start. On the other hand, Spain's economy would benefit from investments from British business interests. So, the benefits are great for both countries.

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to this visit from Felipe and Letizia - definitely a highlight of 2016 in terms of royal watching. Monarch to Monarch are always the best type of state visits. Eagerly waiting for the agenda to be released closer to the time

I very much looking forward to this visit too! Finally!

I'm thrilled to hear this news and really looking forward to seeing the King and Queen of Spain here in the UK! I suspect this will be very well covered by the British media as the Spanish Royal Family is one of the more well known by people here in our kingdom!

I'm happy the event will be hosted at Windsor Castle and I really don't mind who attends the State Banquet - the main thing is that it's a state visit from Spain and it has been a very long time coming!

This is great news. All visits by a Head of State are state visits, whether a monarchy or not; and all are at the "request" of government t. Would love to know the gov.thinking behind this visit. Time will tell.

Regarding the venue - for many yrs the majority of Spring State visits are based at Windsor because that is where the Court is based. Autumn visits normally based at BP. The venue has nothing to do with building issues as we've known about this visit for weeks, long before the problems came to light.

As for whether William and Catherine will be there, this Is diary dependent - Charles diary as well as theirs. He takes priority and unless he has other engagements he will be there. And they might be in India.

iM hoping for the tiaras and (please) better pictures of state banquets at Windsor than usual. They are usually awful.

I'm thrilled to hear this news and really looking forward to seeing the King and Queen of Spain here in the UK! I suspect this will be very well covered by the British media as the Spanish Royal Family is one of the more well known by people here in our kingdom!

I'm happy the event will be hosted at Windsor Castle and I really don't mind who attends the State Banquet - the main thing is that it's a state visit from Spain and it has been a very long time coming!

I hope you're right, but I don't think it will be much coverage.

Papers - Not much with the exception of the mail/fail.

Television - The BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China.

But it's not like if Charles & Camilla attend then the Cambridges can't. W&K just would be further away from the Queen, Philip, King and Queen.

Philippe of Belgium and Felipe VI of Spain are both third cousins once removed to Queen Elizabeth II. Willem Alexander is a much more distant relative (fifth cousin once removed ?).

Personally, I think a Belgian state visit should have priority as the last one was in 1963 and neither King Albert II nor King Philippe have been made Knights of the Garter. However, as QEII herself said, state visits are very political these days and Belgium doesn't seem to be a priority country for the UK government.

In the case of Spain specifically, i believe a desire to ease tensions over the Gibraltar dispute may be one of the motivations behind this state visit, although I don't personally think it will change anything in terms of the positions of Spain and the UK on that particular issue.

Last edited:
This is great news. All visits by a Head of State are state visits, whether a monarchy or not; and all are at the "request" of government t. Would love to know the gov.thinking behind this visit. Time will tell.

Which government?
The British, or the visitor's?

Which government?
The British, or the visitor's?

In the final analysis - both. The one that got cancelled (cant remember date) is because a political row blew up over Gibraltar.

No state visit is about inviting individuals - its always about politics.

Ceremonial visits, ie new Kings and Queens coming to meet another Monarch are different.

If there was another row, then this could be cancelled.

State visit by the King and Queen of Spain: March 8-10, 2016

It's the British government that offers the invitation. The Spanish accepted it. We saw this when William went to China, he delivered the invite for the Chinese President to come to UK. It's in the Queen's name but it's the government who makes the decision.

The same when the Queen goes on a outward state visit, she needs a invite first and then the UK government is going to say yes or no except when it's a realm like Canada. Then Canada is inviting it's Queen to come visit and they pay for it.

Last edited:
It's the British government that offers the invitation. The Spanish accepted it. We saw this when William went to China, he delivered the invite for the Chinese President to come to UK. It's in the Queen's name but it's the government who makes the decision.

The same when the Queen goes on a outward state visit, she needs a invite first and then the UK government is going to say yes or no except when it's a realm like Canada. Then Canada is inviting it's Queen to come visit and they pay for it.

that is the "public" face. Its all decided long before the invitation is formally given. No government risks a snub

i can't wait for this - amazing news. i hope letizia goes all out for this grand state visit!

I hope you're right, but I don't think it will be much coverage.

Papers - Not much with the exception of the mail/fail.

Television - The BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China.

It might get more coverage if it happens that William and Kate attend.
That would serve to promote interest outside the UK and Spain.

(Bonus points if Harry shows up! :lol:

It might get more coverage if it happens that William and Kate attend.
That would serve to promote interest outside the UK and Spain.

(Bonus points if Harry shows up! :lol:

Television - Maybe outside the UK, but not inside the country. As I said in my post above, the BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China. If they show anything at all, it will just be some clips of the Queen's speech at the state banquet.

Papers - The Fail, Express, and maybe the Telegraph may have pictures of Kate on their front pages to show her with a tiara or show her dress.

Papers websites - The Mail will have a lot of pictures as they usually have when it's state visits and will along with the other papers be interested in the Gibraltar issue and if the Queen and Felipe mentions it in their speeches.

Royal events the UK television/papers have been very interested in since 2000.

2000 - The Queen Mother's 100th birthday

2001 - The Queen Mother in hospital

2002 - Princess Margaret death (a bit)

2002 - The Queen Mother's death and funeral

2002 - The Queen's Golden Jubilee

2003 - The Queen in hospital two times january and
december

2003 - US state visit to the UK

2005 - Charles and Camilla's wedding

2005 - Chinese state visit to UK

2006 - The Queen's 80th birthday

2008 - Philip in hospital

2010 - William and Kate's engagement

2011 - William and Kate's wedding

2011 - The Queen's state visit to Ireland

2011 - US state visit to the UK

2011 - Philip in hospital

2012 - The Queen's Diamond Jubilee

2012 - Philip in hospital two times june and august

2012 - Kate's pregnancy

2013 - The Queen in Hospital

2013 - Philip in Hospital

2013 - George's birth

2014 - Irish state visit to the UK (not as much as the state visits from US and China)

2014 - Kate's pregnancy

2015 - Charlotte's birth

2015 - The Queen becoming the longest reigning
monarch in British history

2015 - Chinese state visit to UK

The next big royal television/papers event will be the Queen's 90th birthday next year.

Last edited:
There was live coverage of the Chinese State Banquet on the internet, but I don't know if it was on tv as well. But if the Spanish visit will have live coverage on the internet as well, that will be something to look forward to. Has it been done before with a Windsor banquet? I forgot what it was like at the Irish visit.

There was live coverage of the Chinese State Banquet on the internet, but I don't know if it was on tv as well. But if the Spanish visit will have live coverage on the internet as well, that will be something to look forward to. Has it been done before with a Windsor banquet? I forgot what it was like at the Irish visit.

1 - As I wrote above, the media was very interested in the visit, and I can tell you that BBC News Channel/Sky News covered the whole visit.

2 - No it hasn't, but if the US or Chinese state visits had taken place at Windsor it would have been done.

Last edited:

Yes for the Irish Staqte Visit there live coverange in the Internet for the State Banquet. At last for the procession.

I'm not sure about live coverage of the State Banquet, it's more likely for this State Visit than other ones but probably not as likely as the Irish State Visit (which was covered throughout the days too) or the Chinese one if that makes sense.

Yes for the Irish Staqte Visit there live coverange in the Internet for the State Banquet. At last for the procession.

Oh, I forgot the Irish state visit to the UK and you are right, it was live coverage from Windsor on the internet. I think it was from RTÉ, and it was much coverage in the irish media/press. It was covered pretty well in the UK too, but I don't remember if the state banquet/the Queen and President's speech was sent live on UK television.

Last edited:

Who decides though who should attend the State Banquet ? In President Xi's case, I imagine the British government may have explicitly asked for Prince William's presence, but I can't see why they would make the same request in the case of King Felipe VI.

It would be highly unusual if Prince Charles, as the heir to the throne, did not attend a banquet in honor of a fellow European monarch. So, unless he has an excuse like not being in the UK on the day of the banquet, or being ill, I suppose it is a given that Charles and Camilla will be there. I am not so sure about William and Catherine though.

As someone mentioned, Charles has known D. Felipe since Felipe was still a teenager. However, by the same token, one could argue that Felipe has known William since William was a little boy, see the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8ed19KIac

Charles and Camilla - If they are in the UK they will be there.

William and Kate - I don't know. I hope they will be there, but it's not a problem for me if they are not.

I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the stare banquet

I think that the chances that the Cambridges attend the banquet will be about 50/50. Now that they had their debut at the Chinese vist, so to speak, they will most likely continue with attending some of the banquets in the future. Imo the Spanish visit will be important enough to warrant a large attendance.

I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the stare banquet

I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the state banquet too, but as I wrote above, I don't know if they will be there or not. I hope they will be there, but it's not a problem for me if they are not.

Back
Top Bottom