The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

I believe the Dukes of Cambridge will be present at the banquet, but I do not know if they will receive any decoration or order.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Here is an interesting video from King Juan Carlos State Visit in 1986, from Foro Dinastias:

(warning: hideous 80's ladies fashion on display )

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...britain_people

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

They should get an order if they attend this State Visit.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Spain is an important monarchy and the UK and Spain have many shared interests. There is no doubt the Cambridges will be involved in the visit.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Here is an interesting video from King Juan Carlos State Visit in 1986, from Foro Dinastias:

I don't know much about fashion, but both Queen Sofia and Princess Diana look very nice (and surprisingly modern) to me at the airport and at the official reception. I couldn't tell they were wearing 1980s outfits if I didn't know that beforehand.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:

And some very curtsies from Princesses Margaret,Alice,Alexandra and the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
And some very curtsies from Princesses Margaret,Alice,Alexandra and the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester.
The curtsies were awkward, looking almost like the ladies were about to lose their balance, but I blame it on King Juan Carlos and the way he held their hands as they were curtsying.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, I'm going to the UK in April but can't go in June, such a pity I won't get a glimpse of them. But I'm looking forward to see some pictures of this state visit.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

A picture of Prince William and King Felipe in Belgium. They seem to get on rather well. Looking forward to the visit in June.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/84026...g&name=600x314
Old 03-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The curtsies were awkward, looking almost like the ladies were about to lose their balance, but I blame it on King Juan Carlos and the way he held their hands as they were curtsying.
Exactly. He should have let them finish the curtsey before trying to kiss their hands.. BTW wish that video showed Thatcher curtseying them..
Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Thanks ANNIE_S! I've seen several of these videos in the ITN SOURCE archive, but most of them were removed two years ago.

What will be interesting to see (which was also discussed in the beginnig of this thread) is the British media coverage.

Getty Images will of course publish many videos and pictures, ITN SOURCE will also publish some videos, Daily Fail vill publish articles with many pictures and we may see some clips on BBC One/ITV television news.

But the big question (to me) is whether BBC News Channel (Launched 1997) and Sky News (Launched 1989) will have live coverage.

Coverage by BBC News Channel and Sky News on previous state visits:

State Visit from Japan in May 1998: Live coverage from the carriage procession, the state banquet and other events.

State visit from China in October 1999: Live coverage from the carriage procession, the state banquet and other events.

State visit from the United States in November 2003: Live coverage from the arrival at Buckingham Palace, the state banquet and other events.

State visit from China in November 2005: Live coverage from the carriage procession, the state banquet and other events.

State visit from the United States in May 2011: Live coverage from the arrival at Buckingham Palace, the state banquet and other events.

State Visit from Ireland in April 2014: Live coverage from the carriage procession, the state banquet and other events.

State visit from China in October 2015: Live coverage from the carriage procession, the state banquet and other events.

There was also live coverage on the Internet for the American, Irish and Chinese state visits in 2011, 2014 and 2015.

Other state visits: Nothing, and I think (unfortunately) that BBC/Sky will not see Spain as important enough to have live coverage.

And how will the Spanish media coverage be when King Felipe and Queen Letizia meets the most popular, iconic, longest-reigning and most famous head of state in the world (Queen of 16 countries and figurehead of 2 billion people)? Maybe some of the Spanish posters here can answer.

When the Norwegian royal family visited the UK in 2005, the Norwegian media coverage was very large. And when the Queen has been on commonwealth/state visits, the media coverage in the host countries have been very large.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
A picture of Prince William and King Felipe in Belgium. They seem to get on rather well. Looking forward to the visit in June.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/84026...g&name=600x314
Great picture. It seems that Felipe is a bit taller than William, but not much.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

UK in Spain‏ @ukinspain
.@SimonManleyFCO speaks from Santander at his delight that the King and Queen of Spain are to pay a State Visit to the UK @foreignoffice

https://twitter.com/ukinspain/status/840185007805202434
Old 03-11-2017, 03:21 AM
Nobility

How much is all this nonsense going to cost us? Felipe is not the decision maker in Spain, what is the point of him making this visit? Why should he speak to Parliament? I wonder will he repeat his disgraceful, offensive comments made at the UN? I'm gonna guess not.

At the end of all of this, nothing will have changed. Spain will still be doing all it can to make Brexit as painful as it can for the UK, as part of the EU's efforts to scare any other member who might think about leaving. Spain will still be seeking to deny the citizens of Gibraltar their democratic rights while trying to make their lives as difficult as possible. Spain will still not give reassurances to the British expats living there about whether they'll be kicked out. Spain will still do nothing to help British expats who have been defrauded by Spanish companies when they purchased property in Spain. Spain will still support Argentina in it's attempts to deny the people of the Falklands their democratic rights to self-determination.

But, hey, Felipe might get a blue ribbon and a garter star!!!! How wonderful for us all.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
How much is all this nonsense going to cost us? Felipe is not the decision maker in Spain, what is the point of him making this visit? Why should he speak to Parliament? I wonder will he repeat his disgraceful, offensive comments made at the UN? I'm gonna guess not.

At the end of all of this, nothing will have changed. Spain will still be doing all it can to make Brexit as painful as it can for the UK, as part of the EU's efforts to scare any other member who might think about leaving. Spain will still be seeking to deny the citizens of Gibraltar their democratic rights while trying to make their lives as difficult as possible. Spain will still not give reassurances to the British expats living there about whether they'll be kicked out. Spain will still do nothing to help British expats who have been defrauded by Spanish companies when they purchased property in Spain. Spain will still support Argentina in it's attempts to deny the people of the Falklands their democratic rights to self-determination.

But, hey, Felipe might get a blue ribbon and a garter star!!!! How wonderful for us all.
Oh dear! Perhaps it will cost us less than Brexit, less than the cost of our social housing budget, less than the cost of feeding our many thousands of good for nothing citizens who are unwilling to work and are fed of our taxes.....

The fact is that our government believes a state visit and the accompanying "soft diplomacy" will serve our government well in securing a good deal for Britain.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post

Actually, once Brexit negotiations begin, a closer personal relationship between the British royal family and other European royal families or other European heads of State may prove useful to the UK. I believe the British government understands the diplomatic value that the royals can provide and that is why they are sending Charles/Camilla and William/Kate into European tours later this year and are hosting King Felipe and Queen Letizia at Windsor in June.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Majesty

excited that the visit has finally been rescheduled. i am hoping for a second outing of letizia's grandest tiara, queen ena's.

i see that 'The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Buckingham Palace' which is a change from their previous scheduled stay at windsor! i guess the BRF want some time to intimate with the spanish royals in privacy.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The primary interest I have, as an Aussie, in this State visit, are gowns, jewels and tiaras of the Royal ladies, especially those worn by Queen Letizia. Yes, I am that shallow!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I see that none of the Spanish posters here have answered my question in post 175. I had very much appreciated if someone could take the time to do so.

https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-king-and-queen-spain
Quote:
King Felipe VI, accompanied by Queen Letizia of Spain, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 6th to 8th June 2017.

The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Buckingham Palace.
Buckingham Palace is probably the most famous building in the world, and it is without doubt an impressive palace. I know that 3/4 members here disagree, but I'm pretty sure that most Britons and architects around the world agrees with me. The Green, White, Blue Drawing Rooms, the Throne Room and State Dining Room are just breathtaking. The Picture Gallery and Music Room are also beautiful rooms.

But I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed that the visit will take place at Buckingham Palace.

And there are two reasons for this:

1. Buckingham Palace is in poor condition and the renovations is starting in April.

2. Windsor Castle is even more impressive, and I had been looking forward to seeing the visit taking place there.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i see that 'The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Buckingham Palace' which is a change from their previous scheduled stay at windsor! i guess the BRF want some time to intimate with the spanish royals in privacy.
It might be easier in London on those dates since the Household Division will already have increased numbers on hand for the birthday parade (the first full rehearsal is on the 3rd). They'll be able to double up on rehearsing the route-lining as the state visit procession also goes from Horse Guards to Buckingham Palace.