The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm 99.9 percent sure Felipe will receive the Order of the Garter.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

The King's House has not confirmed this trip, but official sources consulted by Efe said that the Governments of Spain and the United Kingdom will make public in the coming days the usual simultaneous announcements announcing the visit and the dates are specified.

Los Reyes realizarán a principios de junio la visita de Estado pendiente al Reino Unido

Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

EFE is the Spanish public news agency, so it is a reliable source. Today the journalists responsible for Royal House and diplomacy of ABC newspaper also write about the trip.

It is expected that the king will meet with the Prime Minister and speak in Parliament.

El Rey hablará ante el Parlamento británico en pleno Brexit
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
The King of Spain, accompanied by Queen Letizia, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the UK in June.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...48681139478528
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Some nice recap from past UK - Spain State Visits, from @RoyalFamily

State Visit from Spain to UK, 1986
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6jPcerU8AElDas.jpg

State Visit from UK to Spain, 1988
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6jRUbzU4AA-6Yl.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6jRUdbV0AA_Iqj.jpg

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Excellent news really looking forward to this State Visit.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

June 6 to 8

Viaje de Estado de Sus Majestades los Reyes a Reino Unido
Old 03-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Will the former King and Queen take part?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I am pretty sure they will not, as that would be inappropriate. Felipe VI and especially Letizia are finally stepping out of the shadow of their predecessors and state visits like that are pivotal in terms of cementing the image of a new reign.

Going back to a previous discussion, I also believe there is a non-neglible chance, albeit remote, that Charles may get the Order of the Golden Fleece. I say so for the following reasons:

1. As was pointed out, there are several precedents (in the pre-Franco years) of foreign crown princes, including King Edward VII and King George V, who were made Knights of the Golden Fleece before ascending their respective thrones (George V BTW was not even PoW yet when he was made a knight in 1893).
  2. Charles already has the Royal Order of Carlos III (the highest order available to a crown prince under King Juan Carlos), so, if he were to get a new Spanish decoration, the Order of the Golden Fleece would be a natural upgrade.
  3. Although Charles is still a crown prince, his mother is 90 years old, meaning that, in many other monarchies, including now Spain, he would probably be king already by an abdication of the former monarch. King Felipe might want to recognize the PoW's long tenure as a "king in waiting" by giving him the Golden Fleece.

Point #3 above is also the reason why I think William might get the Order of Isabella the Catholic. Although William is not an heir yet, he is seen in many European courts as a "quasi-heir" and is normally given a status and precedence that is usually higher than that of an ordinary grandson of a monarch. On the other hand, it is a little bit of a tricky situation, as King Felipe cannot risk offending Queen Elizabeth by decorating Charles and William as if they were already King and PoW respectively. It will be interesting to see how Felipe will handle that.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

We don't yet know if William and Kate will take part in any aspect of the state visit yet.
Im very much looking forward to this - it has been years since we have had a royal state visit to the UK

Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
We don't yet know if William and Kate will take part in any aspect of the state visit yet.
Im very much looking forward to this - it has been years since we have had a royal state visit to the UK

Of course I don't have any inside knowledge on the matter, so it's just speculation at this point, but, unless some unforeseen circumstances arise, I would be greatly surprised if William and Kate didn't take take part both in the Spanish and the US state visits. As the Queen celebrates her Sapphire Jubilee, we should expect the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to get increasingly involved in official royal functions.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Why should they take part in a State Visit abroad? Not even Princess Beatrix does and she attends part of incoming State Visits to the Netherlands.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridges will play some role during the visit, I don't know about the State Dinner, though, The Queen has lots of family to accommodate and she has demonstrated in the past she won't push them aside to make room for W&C.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, I think the Cambridge's will participate in the State Visit. They were due to take part last year too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Imo the Cambridges will meet the Royal couple at the same day like Mayor Sadiq Khan without pomp and Charles and Camilla will attend the state dinner.
Looking forward to it, and yes, I also like to see the glitzy side of it. So shallow of me, smh.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Cambs and Charles and Camilla can take part in the State Banquet. There's room for all four folks.

A.W. TOZER
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will receive a Spanish Order?
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

If i wasn't on holiday i would have gone down to London to see this state visit.
Intrigued to see if Letizia wears a hat to the official welcome - she seems more open to hats than Sofia was.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I wonder if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will receive a Spanish Order?

Only if they attend ...which as has been proven in the past can be hit or miss for them on state visits.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, I don't see the Cambridges getting any kind of order at all at this time. Perhaps in the future when William is the heir and plays a more significant role in foreign state visits.

Even though the Cambridges are stepping up to becoming full time working royals for the "Firm", the fact remains that William is still the heir to the heir and the grandson of the monarch and I think he will be continued to be treated as such.

They may or may not attend state banquets. That is solely at the discretion of the monarch.