The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I was really looking forward to this for the shallowest of reasons, Letizia's gowns and choice of tiaras and jewellery! Hoping that things will be sorted out during the summer months so the State Visit can go ahead in the early autumn.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, those 'shallow reasons' are quite good friends of mine, too! I was so curious to see which tiara Letiza would wear, hoping for one of the biggies. And I asked myself if Kate would attend and wear Queen Mary's lovers knot tiara again.

But I accept that the the question of forming a stable government is more important than the bling. I hope all goes well and that they'll be able arrange a new date soon. But it might be difficult to find another date that fits into everybody's calendar. We might have to wait longer than we like to.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Majesty

Usually the forming of a Government would not block an already agreed and set State Visit. This formation of a Government however, not with the traditional parties but with more radical newcomers in Parliament, can change how a Government considers certain viewpoints.

We may assume that the current Government, based on the Partido Popular (still the biggest fraction in the Lower House but short of a majority, and still having the majority in the Upper House) has a total different view on Gibraltar, a possible Brexit, the monetary and economic union, the independence of Scotland, etc. than a Government which consist of Podemos.

As the King has to be in line with -and covered by- the Goverment, it is understandable he can not hold a speech during the State Visit telling the position as seen by a PP-Government and two weeks later the new Government has a total different opinion on the same matter.

All by all an understandable move and it leaves time for Doña Letizia to practize in wearing hats and gloves....
Old 02-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Very understandable reasons for cancelling the state visit.

But sad for us jewel lovers who will probably get one less Tiara event This year haha
Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

There is some diplomatic anger going on now, about the Spanish government being in limbo.
La reina Sofía llenará el vacío que los reyes han dejado en Londres

Queen Elizabeth II has understood the reasons that led to the Spanish caretaker government cancelling the trip. Not so the legions of senior officials of the Foreign Office, Buckingham Palace and even the Shakespeare Company who had completed all the details of the historic visit, 30 years after the last one. Madrid are blaming now London because they insisted to issue the joint statement with the December 3 elections inbetween.

London responds by saying that since Madrid had stressed that "the government may be in office, but not the state." Rajoy began to doubt the advisability of the trip in early January, but only communicated to London after a month with invitations for the gala banquet sent out and program finished.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

Will this visit will take place in 2017?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Will this visit will take place in 2017?
I think the officials at both palaces are working this out for 2017.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM

^^ I agree that both governments should sort this out. It should be exciting to see HM The King wearing the ribbon and star of the Garter, and perhaps a GCVO for HM The Queen of Spain.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiopr27 View Post
^^ I agree that both governments should sort this out. It should be exciting to see HM The King wearing the ribbon and star of the Garter, and perhaps a GCVO for HM The Queen of Spain.

I fear that the Brexit politics concerning Gibraltar will have added further difficulties for the possibility of a state visit in the near future.

http://en.mercopress.com/2017/01/23/...greed-by-spain
Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the rumours of an American State Visit are true then that would be one of the two incoming and with the Brexit negotiations I wouldn't expect any incoming from an EU country until after that is all sorted. The other, this year, could be from a country with which the UK wants to tighten new trade deals etc after Brexit e.g. India, Japan, Russia etc. I would rule out China as they had one only a couple of years ago.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the rumours of an American State Visit are true then that would be one of the two incoming and with the Brexit negotiations I wouldn't expect any incoming from an EU country until after that is all sorted. The other, this year, could be from a country with which the UK wants to tighten new trade deals etc after Brexit e.g. India, Japan, Russia etc. I would rule out China as they had one only a couple of years ago.
Britain traditionally turrned to Russia as an ally in moments when it faced a hostile environment in Europe, e.g. during the Napoleonic Wars and in the two World Wars of the 20th century. I'm afraid though that, as long as Putin is in the Kremlin, a rapprochement with Russia will be difficult.

In any case, it would be interesting (and somewhat ironic) to see a new London-Washington-Moscow alliance against an antagonistic German-controlled Europe more than seventy years after the end of World War II.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I wouldn't expect any incoming from an EU country until after that is all sorted.
indeed, i also fear that brexit may affect the existence of this visit, as the future economic and political ties of the UK to spain (or to any other european union member) are still very unclear.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
indeed, i also fear that brexit may affect the existence of this visit, as the future economic and political ties of the UK to spain (or to any other european union member) are still very unclear.
Peronaly, I dont think this is about Brexit at all. I suspect the Donald will end up with one of the two state visit slots first, and the Spanish may get a second one. From a UK perspective, its hardly a priority to have a state visit from Spain at the moment.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Royal Highness

Will this visit will take place soon?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Will this visit will take place soon?
We haven't heard any news on this yet.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

As Muriel said above, there is no need for a State Visit at this stage, it was supposed to focus on the historic ties (both Cervantes and Shakespeare died on the same day 400 years ago). That event has passed now.
The row about Gibraltar is more actual than ever and as expected, The Donald got the first slot and while the Brexit may not be decisive, it doesn't help to finally have this visit either.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

They just haven't rescheduled the Visit yet.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Britain traditionally turrned to Russia as an ally in moments when it faced a hostile environment in Europe, e.g. during the Napoleonic Wars and in the two World Wars of the 20th century. I'm afraid though that, as long as Putin is in the Kremlin, a rapprochement with Russia will be difficult.

In any case, it would be interesting (and somewhat ironic) to see a new London-Washington-Moscow alliance against an antagonistic German-controlled Europe more than seventy years after the end of World War II.
Is there any particular reason for the enlightened London to seek cooperation with the Russian Federation? Given the level of animosity towards the country and President Putin and vitriol spewed by UK politicians, the member of the royal family, and mass media, an indifferent cool relationship toward the UK is understandable. President Putin has to be shrewd and pragmatic. On a different note, Russia and Germany have much deeper economic ties.

As for the topic, King Felipe and Queen Letizia may have their state visit later this year.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Donal Trump's state visit to the UK could be delayed till October | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Officials in London and Madrid have been discussing resurrecting the Spanish state visit since conservative Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy formed a new government in October, ending a 10-month impasse.

One source told the Daily Express: "I think the June slot for a state visit had been earmarked for the King and Queen so Donald Trump is going to have to wait until the autumn."
Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Serene Highness

^Daily Express shouldn't toy with me. It would be amazing if it happens this year

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Closed Thread