The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
HM, The Queen could show up for a state banquet wearing one of those paper crowns you can get from Burger King and still command the respect and the courtesy afforded to a much beloved monarch that has given a lifetime of duty to crown and country.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

You are right Wartenberg , a great Official Visit of Spain's young Monarchs.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I must say Duc has a point that the modern aquamarine tiara is not what most people expected the Queen to wear at a Spanish state visit when she has so many other historical family heirlooms she could have worn instead (besides, I agree the tiara is ugly IMHO). However, QEII has been wearing those modern tiaras (the aquamarine, the ruby and the sapphire) quite often lately and, who knows, maybe she feels more comfortable wearing one of those than the older tiaras. I think that, at the age of 91, she is entitled to make those choices and no one should complain about it.

Is that it what it´s about? Certain royal watchers EXPECT a royal to wear this and that and the royals have to obey?! Certainly not! The british Queen, like any other Royal or any normal citizen can decide for themselves what or what not to wear for this and that occasion!
When the Queen of Spain, who, like her mother-in-law or old Queen Fabiola in later life, never showed great fondness about wearing hats, because, like in most countries these days, it is absolutely outdated to do so, she´s entiteled to go bareheaded! I´m sure neither her husband, Prince Harry nor any clergyman in Westminster Abbey lost a single thought about it...!
Elizabeth II HAS many heirlooms but HM choose to wear THIS particular tiara (which I must admit, also don´t like, but has the Queen to be aware what jewels we like to see on her...?!) Is it up to us to decide who should wear hats, gloves and stuff like that? Some people seem to be quite megalomaniac IMO.... It is like in real life; some will never be satisfied!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen does seem to wear her newer tiara's more frequently, IMO they are likely lighter and easier to wear than the older ones.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Thanks to everyone who have posted so many links, videos and information on this state visit. It has truly been glorious. I think that monarch to monarch state visits are the best of all. To think that QMII has hosted his maternal grandparents, parents and now King Felipe VI himself. While Buckingham Palace is nice for a state visit location, I much prefer Windsor Castle for the sheer majesty, grandeur and history. But that is a minor quibble.
I am sure that a head of state cannot be more impressed by the ceremony of a British state welcome.

WELL DONE BRITS!!!!!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Courtier

I've been delighted with everything I've seen of this State Visit.
The farewells and gentle embraces at Buckingham Palace were especially touching in their genuine warmth and affection.
Spain, I admire your King and his Queen Consort very much!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
When it comes to your remarks about the Windsors making no difference between royal and republican state visit I can only say, yes, there mustn´t be any differences regarding the procedures and protocol of a state visit between presidents and Royals! Every head of state has the right to be received by the Queen of Britain with exactly the same standards! Anything else would be a diplomatic embarressment. And why should a 91 year old lady wear a pretty heavy diadem, comparing to tiaras, which she hasn´t done so for over half a century at a state visit, only because this is the King of Spain?! Why then not wearing it for the danish, norwegian or dutch royal couples? Why not wear it for the US president?
I think this is worth emphasizing. The Queen is the ultimate royal professional and visits like this are her job. By this point probably a very routine part of her job. It's well known that HM is always deeply involved in the planning of EVERY state visit and that the goal is perfection EVERY time. What's impressive to me is that the British always pull these visits off to perfection. Every time there are comments about the lovely personal touches, about how beautiful everything is, about what a nice connection the Queen and DoE have developed with the guests, about how this must surely be the most special visit, etc. The reality is probably closer to the Queen and DoE moving on to other things the minute the guests have departed and not thinking about them again until the next time their paths happen to cross, but you'd never know it.

I have no idea how QEII decides which tiara to wear for each occasion.. I imagine by this point it's based purely on her mood or personal preference. Frankly, I doubt she cares enough about other monarchies to make a special effort with any aspect of her personal appearance just because her guest happens to be royal!
Old 07-16-2017, 01:35 AM
Majesty

I have no real idea how or why she wears what she does but I do have a suspicion. It is possible that the newer ones are lighter and if that is a factor she can always revert the 'Girls' to its alternate setting. She was brought up the old fashioned way where a hostess always checks the table and centrepieces, the only difference is that instead of a big dinner party this was a State Banquet.

Was it any surprise that Leti would wear red? Probably not, but she would absolutely be wearing her blue and white order sash. Now it gets interesting, HM wears a divine white dress embroidered in blue/aqua that sets of her aquamarine parure which perfectly compliments the colour of Leti's sash as indeed does the red bow on HM's Spanish order compliment the red in Leti's dress.

It's all in the details and HM could probably sleepwalk her way through organising one of these. Just think, all those wonderful red carnations could have been real and we would still have thought "how beautiful they all are", but it boggles the mind to think of how long it must have taken to make such a profusion of sugar flowers. Now that really was some wow factor.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Funny, exactly seeing Letizia in that ultra-tight red dress, with the Gran Gruz del Orden de Isabel la Católica tucked in her bra (...)

HOW.ON.EARTH can you know the order was tucked on her bra? Did you have a look there?

Honestly, you're so funny. I expect with impatience the time you point out that any royal man has anything "tucked on his boxers", though. That shall be hilarious.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think this is worth emphasizing. The Queen is the ultimate royal professional and visits like this are her job. By this point probably a very routine part of her job. It's well known that HM is always deeply involved in the planning of EVERY state visit and that the goal is perfection EVERY time. What's impressive to me is that the British always pull these visits off to perfection. Every time there are comments about the lovely personal touches, about how beautiful everything is, about what a nice connection the Queen and DoE have developed with the guests, about how this must surely be the most special visit, etc. The reality is probably closer to the Queen and DoE moving on to other things the minute the guests have departed and not thinking about them again until the next time their paths happen to cross, but you'd never know it.

I have no idea how QEII decides which tiara to wear for each occasion.. I imagine by this point it's based purely on her mood or personal preference. Frankly, I doubt she cares enough about other monarchies to make a special effort with any aspect of her personal appearance just because her guest happens to be royal!
I don't know if the Queen chooses "grander" jewels depending on the visiting Head of State, but we would be definitely kidding ourselves if we assumed that all visitors get exact the same treatment. It suffices to note that the Queen only awards the Order of the Garter to other European monarchs or emperors of Japan; visiting presidents of republics normally get at most the Order of the Bath, or even no order at all ( to be fair, some like the president of the United States are constitutionally barred from getting foreign orders, but most are not).
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.
Whilst I may or may not agree with the criticism of what Letizia wore to the Abbey, I don't buy the argument that becaase she had 2 back to back white tie dinners, she could not wear a more formal dress or a suit and a hat to go to the Abbey!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 AM

I am sure this has been posted elsewhere on the forum. It is my first look at a royal state dinner. I am wondering who is the serene looking gentleman leading the procession? And who are the two men following him?
As the Queen is seated 2 men wearing medals stand behind her- does anyone know who they are?
I am also curious about the identity of the young woman who has been seated next to Prince Harry?