The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Very much agree with you, Queen of Spain is not there as a *tourist* she is representing her country. On my 1st trip to Europe I made sure I learned about the dress code of certain places to visit and if you are going to a foreign country then you always respect that country and dress accordingly. I find there is no excuse in some of her clothing choices as it seems she is listening to people that perhaps have not been to these historical places.
I don't think she was disrespectful in the way she was dressed to visit Westminster Abbey. Maybe you guys are overreacting.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Majesty

For me at least, it was Charlene of Monaco who set the standard for how a Royal/Princely consort should dress when visiting Westminster Abbey a few months ago. She looked amazing and perfect, even though it was a low key visit.

I wish I could find the photo!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
She is the Queen of Spain! I don't care how many "tiara events" she has, she can still put on a suit or appropriate dress to attend a church service.

I don't care a twit. I'm just making an observation. I dressed better when I went to Westminster Abbey while on vacay because I had respect for where I was. Surely a Queen could do the same. Defend her all you want. I don't care. But if I were Spanish I would be embarrassed.

She's wearing a conservative blouse and a skirt... in no way is that inappropriate for a visit to a church.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Very much agree with you, Queen of Spain is not there as a *tourist* she is representing her country. On my 1st trip to Europe I made sure I learned about the dress code of certain places to visit and if you are going to a foreign country then you always respect that country and dress accordingly. I find there is no excuse in some of her clothing choices as it seems she is listening to people that perhaps have not been to these historical places.
As Queen of Spain, i'm pretty sure she's very used to visit some "historical places".
From an "European" point of view, she was dressed very appropriately for a church (shoulders covered). From a personnal one i think she looked young, modern and estival.
To insinuate that she showed some disrespect to her British hosts with that dress is just a bit ridiculous to be frank.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Old 07-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
As Queen of Spain, i'm pretty sure she's very used to visit some "historical places".
From an "European" point of view, she was dressed very appropriately for a church (shoulders covered). From a personnal one i think she looked young, modern and estival.
To insinuate that she showed some disrespect to her British hosts with that dress is just a bit ridiculous to be frank.

Okay you got me on that historical places ...and yes I am sure she has been to more then I will ever get to. I, in looking back at my comment I did not mean that QL disrespected her British hosts at all. For me personally I see a skirt and blouse as office attire or shopping out with the girls or having lunch at a cafe, not an event like today. Open toe shoes is something I would not wear to church ever, so I am an ole fashioned lady who dresses different and thinks that perhaps QL should of worn a dress or suit, light weight with closed shoes, that is JMO.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

According to the royal reporter Richard Palmer, Princes Harry and Andrew and the Princess Royal have all received the Order of Isabel the Catholic for their involvement in the Spanish state visit. So the lapel pin was well spotted

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...51421986398208
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
Maybe the York girls have no interest in state banquets. I mean, Bea (I think) works in NY and Eugenie has a job also. Maybe they don't really want to have to sit through boring speeches with a lot of old people. Lady Gabriella is a different story given the mother she has.

I don't know. I just think if either Bea or Eugenie wanted to go to state banquets there would be no problem getting them an invitation from their grandmother.
Lady Gabriella is a fluent Spanish speaker who has lived and worked in Spain and is a great advocate of all things Spanish. The Queen is known to include family members who have some kind of link with the country of the visiting head of state and I think that's why LG attended the banquet.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
According to the royal reporter Richard Palmer, Princes Harry and Andrew and the Princess Royal have all received the Order of Isabel the Catholic for their involvement in the Spanish state visit. So the lapel pin was well spotted

thanks for the info - but why not Camilla? She was involved as well.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post

So why did they not wear the sashes of if? Or did they get a lower grade without sash.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
So why did they not wear the sashes of if? Or did they get a lower grade without sash.

There is a discussion going on about this topic on the RFO forum.

Apparently, Anne was made a Grand Cross and should have worn the sash; Harry was made a Commander and should have worn the badge on his necklace. Neither one happened as Anne wore the sash of the Garter and Harry wore his KCVO badge on his neck.

My theory is that they didn't get the full insignia in time for the banquet, which would be very amateurish either on the part of the Spaniards, or the Brits, or both. Could it be possible ?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Maybe they were made commanders.
However, the whole awards issue has been rather nebulous during this trip. Isn't there always some sort of an announcement beforehand? Also, the Spanish are rather generous with their awards, not generous as the Dutch, but not "stingy" (for lack of a better word) as BRF.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM

Post on Facebook from Majesty Magazine regarding the Orders presented by HM The King

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...20255874673758

I'm also pretty convinced Richard Palmer reads the Royal Forums - look at the comment about the real professional Royal Watchers (that's us lol)

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Aristocracy

A question:

Do BRF members ever sit in the overflow at state dinners? I know staff members of both countries do, and the usual assortment of Ladies-in-waiting and equerries and such, but I always wondered if some minor royals get placed there.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
I'm also pretty convinced Richard Palmer reads the Royal Forums - look at the comment about the real professional Royal Watchers (that's us lol)
Damn, we are busted !
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic so if you are, disregard the rest of this post!

Let's not make this visit into more than it really is. Most women can and do handle much more in their daily lives than Letizia will ever have to do on her worst day. She's had one longish day and one day where she's apparently taken the afternoon off. She has tonight, tomorrow and then goes home. She's got a ton of people behind the scenes who will help her in any way she requires, every moment of this trip will have been explained to her in advance, she doesn't need to worry about child care or finances, she barely even needs to speak! Her job is to get dressed in appropriate clothing, show up, try and look interested in what her hosts are showing her, eat the food that's been prepared for her and pose for pictures.

I would give the tons of people behind the scenes who have worked their you know whats off to make this visit a success a break. I would give Felipe, who has been conscientious and who had the responsibility of speaking to the British government on behalf of his country a break. I would give the two ninety plus year olds who always act as impeccable hosts a break. Interesting, though, that none of them have needed to be given a break!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic so if you are, disregard the rest of this post!
Yes, I was being sarcastic, but, nonetheless, as I wrote in another forum, I think some posters are being too harsh on Letizia. It was not such a huge blunder as some are saying it was.

Frankly, I think the whole order thing with Felipe decorating Harry, Andrew and Anne, and not decorating William, Kate and Camilla, and the British royals not wearing their new Spanish insignia in full at the banquet is way more serious. I think it verges on a diplomatic incident actually. Am I overreacting ?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
a great advocate of all things Spanish.
Who can underestimate the charm of an extremely elegant,personable young woman, FLUENT family member [to boot] working her magic upon the assembled honoured guests...
HMQ doesn't 'miss a trick'..
Old 07-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Frankly, I think the whole order thing with Felipe condecorating Harry, Andrew and Anne, and not decorating William, Kate and Camilla, and the British royals not wearing their new Spanish insignia in full at the banquet is way more serious. I think it verges on a diplomatic incident actually. Am I overreacting ?
Considering the protocol and substantive officers of both the Foreign Office and the Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores and Royal households of both countries consulted each other for months over these things, i'd say yes to the overreacting.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Who can underestimate the charm of an extremely elegant,personable young woman, FLUENT family member [to boot] working her magic upon the assembled honoured guests...
HMQ doesn't 'miss a trick'..

I just clued into Gabriella's Spanish connection today after reading of it here and then looking around a bit.. She wrote a blog for the Spanish Hello! along the lines of the one Tamara Beckwith had for the British version. I would bet that Ella knew some members of the visiting Spanish court personally.