The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
The Queen didn't wear the two RFOs she has..
May I ask what RFO means?

Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 PM

State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

Can we find a better picture of Prince Harry, during the live feed I thought I caught a glimpse of two breast stars.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	300596

God Save The Queen!

Super Moderator

How great to see Harry at the Banquet! Finally, I'd say, remember how long it took us to see William and Kate attend state banquets.

Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shereeclaire View Post
Which male Prince consorts are you talking about? Prince Henrik did not receive the Order of the Garter and only his wife, The Head of State and Queen, received it. This is the tradition. The Queen only bestows the Order upon Head of States and not Consorts.

All Prince consorts (Claus of the NL, Henrik, not sure of Bernard of the NL - but I´m pretty sure he had abritish order) during HMs reign received the Grand Cross of the Victorian Order, the one Camilla and Sophie got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
May I ask what RFO means?

Royal Family Order, like the ones your female members in Norway all have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Good question... the Lover's Knot tiara was on loan to Diana, but in terms of personal jewels.... this might be the first time other than her engagement ring.
No! The Duchess of Cambridge has worn it already twice for the diplomatic reception, held in december
Old 07-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Royal Family Order, like the ones your female members in Norway all have!
Ah thank you :) Was not sure if I was right with the abreviation when I thought of a longer version.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I didn't see the Duke or Kent or his younger brother Prince Michael on the guest list?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
No! The Duchess of Cambridge has worn it already twice for the diplomatic reception, held in december
No, you misunderstand. We were talking about if this is the first time Catherine has worn any personal jewels of Diana other than the engagement ring.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She's worn Diana's earrings twice before? We know she's worn the tiara before. Talking personal jewelry.

LaRae
Old 07-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Henry is sat next to the Marchioness of Cholmondeley
She and Harry would make a good looking couple.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
She and Harry would make a good looking couple.

Except the Marquess wouldn´t be too fond about it...
Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
But mega earrings for Camilla : Wouah !
I believe Camilla's earrings are by Van Cleef & Arpels.

https://www.luxuryexchange.com/van-c...-earrings.html
Old 07-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I thought I'd heard it said that King Felipe speaks perfect English. He clearly doesn't, which is fine, I was just surprised in listening to the end of his speech.
What does perfect mean anyway ? I think that, if you listen to his speech to Parliament, where he spoke much longer in English, you will get a better sense of his fluency, It is quite obvious that the state banquet setting is rather intimidating (do you remember Philippe of Belgium at the Danish state banquet ? ).

The disappointing points of the evening to me:

1) The procession was somewhat disorganized, I think, and the guests were somewhat unruly as the procession was coming in. I had never seen that before at British state dinners.

2) The Brazilian modern aquamarine tiara is OK, but I think HM should have worn one of the historic tiaras of the House of Windsor instead. Maybe she feels more comfortable with her newer tiaras.

3) As always, we could barely see the guests and especially other royal family members on the video.

4) No Spanish orders for the British ladies. King Felipe spoke of how honored he was to receive the Order of the Garter; he could at least have bestowed a minor order on Camilla as he or his father did to all wives of visting crown princes.

Politically, both the state dinner speeches and the Parliament speech were as expected . I see that King Felipe mentioned twice the issue of Spaniards living in the UK post-Brexit, which suggests that is really a major concern of the EU countries in the Brexit negotiations. The references to Gilbraltar by both sovereigns were roughly identical to what was said in 1986.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamari View Post
I believe Camilla's earrings are by Van Cleef & Arpels.

https://www.luxuryexchange.com/van-c...-earrings.html
I think you're right ! Camilla is an avid Van Cleef collector.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Aristocracy

The biggest surprise by far (for me) is Lady Gabriella Windsor at the dinner. Prince Andrew must be blowing a gasket over that.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What does perfect mean anyway ? I think that, if you listen to his speech to Parliament, where he spoke much longer in English, you will get a better sense of his fluency, It is quite obvious that the state banquet setting is rather intimidating (do you remember Philippe of Belgium at the Danish state banquet ? ).

1) The procession was somewhat disorganized, I think, and the guests were somewhat unruly as the procession was coming in. I had never seen that before at British state dinners.

2) The Brazilian modern aquamarine tiara is OK, but I think HM should have worn one of the historic tiaras of the House of Windsor instead. Maybe she feels more comfortable with her newer tiaras.

3) As always, we could barely see the guests and especially other royal family members on the video.

4) No Spanish orders for the British ladies. King Felipe spoke of how honored he was to receive the Order of the Garter; he could at least have bestowed a minor order on Camilla as he or his father did to all wives of visting crown princes.

Politically, both the state dinner speeches and the Parliament speech were as expected . I see that King Felipe mentioned twice the issue of Spaniards living in the UK post-Brexit, which suggests that is really a major concern of the EU countries in the Brexit negotiations. The references to Gilbraltar by both sovereigns were roughly identical to what was said in 1986.

I really don't see point 1. The procession looks as it usually does to my eye and the guests are standing behind their chairs bowing and curtsying as usual. The only people not doing so are the household who are pointing out where people from the procession need to sit.

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Perfect to me means exactly that, essentially indistinguishable from a native speaker except for perhaps a very slight accent. I'd be interested to hear what his conversational English sounds like.

I agree the video was awful and I was irrationally bothered by the large candelabras blocking the view of some of those at the head table.

I mentioned in one of the fashion threads I don't care for The Queen's tiara but thought it must be relatively comfortable. Some of the more impressive looking ones must feel dreadful on. I didn't realize this was a newer one.

I was irritated by the references to Gibraltar. The issue is settled and both countries have bigger issues to deal with.

Quote:
Not saying it wouldn't be a little awkward!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Neither, I suspect, would Meghan Markle...
Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The biggest surprise for me was that, for once, the Spanish Press got it right and when last week they mentioned that "all the BRF would be present at the dinner", they actually meant it!

That was a great turn out, and everything is, IMo, just perfect. It was worth the long wait
Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
Can we find a better picture of Prince Harry, during the live feed I thought I caught a glimpse of two breast stars.Attachment 300596

I am pretty sure there is a second breast star, could it be a Spanish Order.

If it is I am really confused as to why Harry would get one and not William, perhaps he did and we just haven't seen a photo yet.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pX6c26Sg2...t-screen-9.jpg

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Neither, I suspect, would Meghan Markle...
Nevertheless, the Marchioness is a stunning woman. I learned from Wikipedia that she was a fashion model, is that right ?