State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nevertheless, the Marchioness is a stunning woman. I learned from Wikipedia that she was a fashion model, is that right ?

Yes indeed. She and her older sister Marina both modelled.

She (Rose Hanbury) and her sister are often compared to Kate and Pippa.
Rose married the Marquess of Cholmondeley, and her sister married the Earl of Durham.

The biggest surprise by far (for me) is Lady Gabriella Windsor at the dinner. Prince Andrew must be blowing a gasket over that.

Why would he be blowing a gasket? Fill me in. Is there bad blood between them?

Yes indeed. She and her older sister Marina both modelled.
She (Rose Hanbury) and her sister are often compared to Kate and Pippa.
Rose married the Marquess of Cholmondeley, and her sister married the Earl of Durham.
Both ladies married very well.

Harry's second order looks like Charles's Spanish order to me.

Hm, interesting. But according to wiki it's 'Awarded for Actions in benefit to Spain and the Crown'. Too bad they like to see people play a guess game instead just to say what he has received :lol:

Attachments

• Unbenannt-3 Kopie.png
    Unbenannt-3 Kopie.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 811
Maybe the York girls have no interest in state banquets. I mean, Bea (I think) works in NY and Eugenie has a job also. Maybe they don't really want to have to sit through boring speeches with a lot of old people. Lady Gabriella is a different story given the mother she has.

I don't know. I just think if either Bea or Eugenie wanted to go to state banquets there would be no problem getting them an invitation from their grandmother.

Given the fact that they both admitted in interviews that they wanted to play a bigger role in the monarchy (I think it was in a documentary for their gm´s Diamond jubilee), I don´t believe they´ d turn down an invitation if they´ d get one. It´ s anyway just not a thing you would do!
Wasn´ t there speculations of a feud between Charles and Andrew about the D o York´ s daughter´ s taking a more prominent role for the crown?!

Indeed William had already two stars (Garter and KCVO ).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/de/24/54/de24549c84064275d3afa560c8adff1a.jpg

So at the end the same question : what's up with Harry ?

The only reason I could think of Harry receiving a spanish order and William not might be because H plays an active part (tomorrow) in the visit and W not....?!

The reason for the royal ladies getting no orders is simply and only because of the fact The Queen doesn´ t hand out orders to Q consorts. If Q Letizia had been made a Lady of the Royal Vict. Order, Camilla, and presumably Catherine also, would at least been installed by the order of Isabella the Catholic. Why elso would a fianceé (Maxima in 2001), still not a member of the dutch royal family because yet unmarried, been bestowed of that order while royal ladies "in office" (one even the wife of the future monarch) don´t get one?!
Queen Beatrix installed Princess Diana with the Order of the House of Orange (her only foreign order) back in 1982 - but Beatrix´ husband was a KCVO (as wll as Prince Henrik is).

Last edited by a moderator:
If people here go back in the thread and watch the ITN videos I posted yesterday, then you will see something hilarious. While our remarkable 91-year-old monarch (unaided) got out of the 1902 State Landau almost as fast as Felipe, the 96-year-old Philip could be seen helping Letizia out of one of the smaler Semi-state Landaus.

Given the fact that they both admitted in interviews that they wanted to play a bigger role in the monarchy (I think it was in a documentary for their gm´s Diamond jubilee), I don´t believe they´ d turn down an invitation if they´ d get one. It´ s anyway just not a thing you would do!
Wasn´ t there speculations of a feud between Charles and Andrew about the D o York´ s daughter´ s taking a more prominent role for the crown?!

Since the Queen of England is still alive, it shouldn't matter what Charles wants. I will say again, if Bea and Eugenie wanted to attend a State banquet all they need do is ask their grandmother. I'm suggesting they don't want to attend these things. Of course, like everyone else on here, I have no clue about anything these people do. I'm just enjoying seeing the pics from tonight.

I also fail to understand why Gibraltar is still an issue. The results of the referendums couldn't be more clear.

It's not like nobody has asked the people of Gibraltar what they want.

The most recent referendum in Gibraltar, on the European Union (Referendum) Act 2016, resulted in 96% (!) wanting to remain in the European Union, which Britain wants to leave.

Gibraltar will always remain an issue as it is a sore pimple for Spain, not only for historic and territorial reasons, but also because it is - in the eye of the Spaniards- a parasite economy which survives on a permissive financial regime and duty free shopping.

Since the Queen of England is still alive, it shouldn't matter what Charles wants. I will say again, if Bea and Eugenie wanted to attend a State banquet all they need do is ask their grandmother. I'm suggesting they don't want to attend these things. Of course, like everyone else on here, I have no clue about anything these people do. I'm just enjoying seeing the pics from tonight.

Thats your opinion. Still I believe the influence of Prince Charles on the monarchy shouldn´ t be underestimated these days. Charles is one of those on the one hand wanting to keep all the traditions and ceremonial that go with Royalty, but on the other hand modernizing it, slim it down to make it more acceptable and efficient.
It is said he wants royal duties and public functions being performed, if possible, by the so called major Royals (the roy.couple, heir and wife, his children and siblings) and less nieces or cousins like it used to be in the older days.
I´m too enjoying first and foremost beautiful pics of Royalty. Still you can think about certain observations you do since quite a while by now.

And Harry has definitively something pinned on his vest !

I'm CERTAIN one [or both] of their Majesties will be at Wimbledon this afternoon to see Ms Muguruza play. The opportunity is simply TOO good for them to miss !

I'm CERTAIN one [or both] of their Majesties will be at Wimbledon this afternoon to see Ms Muguruza play. The opportunity is simply TOO good for them to miss !
I see they have no events planned after the lunch with Ms May, which is strange given how packed their schedule is, so you might have a point ;)

I would love that but Garbine's match starts in 15 minutes and Felipe and Letizia have just started to greet the guests at the reception at the Spanish Embassy.

I was wondering if we might see them in the royal box over the visit,perhaps the Duchess of Cambridge might accompany them?

I'm just curious, does Harry have a closer relationship with the Spanish couple?

I was wondering if we might see them in the royal box over the visit,perhaps the Duchess of Cambridge might accompany them?

That would be great! The Duchess is in London and they met last night, and the opening of the Natural History Museum Hitze Hall is this evening, so she has the afternoon off. I would love to see them in the Royal Box with HRH.

Kate has engagements today so unlikely to attend the Spanish player's match which starts in about 5 minutes. The royal presence today at Wimbledon is Sophie.

Is it scheduled?! Is there time left to visit a tennis match...?!

Kate is not there at present and the Spanish player is playing now so it's unlikely she will attend.

But why didn´t he wear its sash (at the banquet)?

It only could have been the miniature of a spanish order in his buttonwhole. Wearing another one for an engagement with the spanish King and Queen wouldn´t have made sense.
Still, why did he get it other than his elder brother and sister -in-law? Only because he accompanied the royal couple to W Abbey? And why didn´t Andrew and Anne, who also join the spanish royal couple for official engagements during their stay, didn´t...?!
Questions we might never solve!

If people here go back in the thread and watch the ITN videos I posted yesterday, then you will see something hilarious. While our remarkable 91-year-old monarch (unaided) got out of the 1902 State Landau almost as fast as Felipe, the 96-year-old Philip could be seen helping Letizia out of one of the smaler Semi-state Landaus.

Letizia wore almost towering high heels...
And I guess the D o Edinb. just wanted to be polite with a state guest! Don´t believe the Queen of Spain wouldn´t have managed to get out of that coach unhurt without help...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom