The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Yes, a very beautiful carriage. It has been used for several royal celebrations - here are some of them:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...0430?s=594x594

Silver Jubilee 1977:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...2556?s=594x594

Queen mothers 80th 1980:
https://yooniqimages.blob.core.windo..._102100572.jpg

Wedding 1981:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...0657?s=594x594

Wedding 1986:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...3074?s=594x594

Wedding 2011:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...8733?s=594x594

Diamond Jubilee 2012:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ith_horses.jpg

I was 100% sure of the Diamond Jubilee Coach (until yesterday) as well, but now I would say 50% sure - and why use the The 1902 State Landau for the rehearsals if it's not going to be used? Last time it was used for rehearsals was (I think, but not sure) in 2012 for the Jubilee.
It could be the one Charles and Camilla will use. I do know The Queen uses the Diamond Jubilee State Carriage for Opening of Parliament and State Visits now.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Andrew has always had more to do with business things and so maybe that is why he is attending a few events with the King & Queen. I was reading in the Times today (usually not one to report gossip) that the Spanish delegation was being describes tongue in cheek as "the armada" as so many business leaders will be part of it.
It also said W&K will attend the State Banquet as will Harry (and Harry will accompany them to Westminster Abbey). I think you have to remember the Queen is in her 90s now so attends the show piece events but delegates the other events to play to her family's strengths.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Andrew has always had more to do with business things and so maybe that is why he is attending a few events with the King & Queen. I was reading in the Times today (usually not one to report gossip) that the Spanish delegation was being describes tongue in cheek as "the armada" as so many business leaders will be part of it.
It also said W&K will attend the State Banquet as will Harry (and Harry will accompany them to Westminster Abbey). I think you have to remember the Queen is in her 90s now so attends the show piece events but delegates the other events to play to her family's strengths.
Do you think King Felipe will give the Order of Isabella the Catholic to William and Catherine ? If so, the state banquet could also be Catherine's first public appearance wearing orders.

As of now, the Queen obviously has the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece (plus the grand cross with collar of the Royal Order of Carlos III), and both Philip and Charles have the grand cross of the Royal Order of Carlos III. According to the Wikipedia, no other member of the British Royal Family besides those I mentioned before has Spanish orders. I suppose Camilla will probably get a new Spanish order , but I am not sure about William or Catherine.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Thanks Royal Norway!!

LaRae
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It could be the one Charles and Camilla will use. I do know The Queen uses the Diamond Jubilee State Carriage for Opening of Parliament and State Visits now.
The 1902 State Landau is only used for the monarch (with the exception of the QM 80th and weddings in 1981/1986/2011), so if it's going to be used, then it si for the Queen and King Felipe.

If Charles/Camilla were to ride in a open carriage, then they will use one of the other seven State Landaus or one the five Semi-state Landaus or even one of the five more simple looking Ascot Landaus. The same goes for Philip/Letizia.

Some pictures of the other seven State Landaus:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...5500?s=594x594

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...2714?s=594x594

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ate_Landau.jpg

Some pictures of the five Semi-state Landaus:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...5489240%29.jpg

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/statevisi...sv1101_197.jpg

Picture of one of the five Ascot Landaus:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...4044?s=594x594
Old 07-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Prince Andrew is a senior royal so I don't see the shame. I for one like they don't ship off the older senior royals simply because the younger generation is ready.

It seems dictated anyways by the events the visiting couple are attending. Andrew focussed both on entrepreneurship including expanding business over seas, and on education and research in technical fields. Both events he will accompany the couple on are suited to him.

Take the Crick institute. Who has more knowledge of medical research and technology to tour the institute? Kate or Andrew? If the royal couple were touring a hospice or children's hospital, something like that, yes Kate would be fantastic. It's her area of knowledge.

Does Andrew have knowledge of medical research ? He was a helicopter pilot once, but I doubt medical technology was part of his training. Having said that, I don't think William knows a lot about medical research either, but at least he has an A-Level (senior secondary certificate) in Biology and he studied Geography as his university major. Andrew, on the other hand, never even went to university.

BTW, I didn't say it was a "shame". I said it was a "pity", which, in this sense, means it is disappointing that the King and the Queen won't meet William and Kate privately.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've never seen Letizia in a carriage before and I'm thinking this might be her first ,I wonder which one will Felipe VI and Letizia ride in?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Do you think King Felipe will give the Order of Isabella the Catholic to William and Catherine ? If so, the state banquet could also be Catherine's first public appearance wearing orders.

As of now, the Queen obviously has the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece (plus the grand cross with collar of the Royal Order of Carlos III), and both Philip and Charles have the grand cross of the Royal Order of Carlos III. According to the Wikipedia, no other member of the British Royal Family besides those I mentioned before has Spanish orders. I suppose Camilla will probably get a new Spanish order , but I am not sure about William or Catherine.
Queen Letizia won't get any so it's quite unlikely that Felipe will hand out orders. Maybe the Gran Cross of Isabella the Catholic to Camilla. Maybe.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Does Andrew have knowledge of medical research ? He was a helicopter pilot once, but I doubt medical technology was part of his training. Having said that, I don't think William knows a lot about medical research either, but at least he has an A-Level (senior secondary certificate) in Biology and he studied Geography as his university major. Andrew, on the other hand, never even went to university.

BTW, I didn't say it was a "shame". I said it was a "pity", which, in this sense, means it is disappointing that the King and the Queen won't meet William and Kate privately.
Andrew has three major fields of interest as a patron

-military including commonwealth
-business and entrepreneurship
-research and education in the technology field

He was with his parents at the opening of the Crick. And he toured on occasions as it was being built.

So yes I think Andrew knows more about technology and research then William who took biology in high school.

All royals have areas of specialty. This is not the Cambridges. No need to send them for sake of sending.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashal View Post
Queen Letizia won't get any so it's quite unlikely that Felipe will hand out orders. Maybe the Gran Cross of Isabella the Catholic to Camilla. Maybe.
It is true that QEII doesn't normally give out orders to queen consorts, so Letizia is probably getting nothing. What about King Felipe though ? In his first state visit to the UK in 1986, King Juan Carlos was awarded the Royal Victorian chain; later , when QEII paid a return state visit to Spain in 1988, he was made a Stranger Knight of the Order of the Garter. Felipe, on the other hand, is already a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order , so logic dictates he should be given a higher British hono(u)r this time, which could be the Royal Victorian Chain like his father, or maybe the Garter directly (I'm ruling out intermediate orders like the Order of the Bath, which the Queen normally gives only to presidents of republics or some non-European monarchs).

In any case, as Felipe is most definitely getting some new British decoration, it is very likely that he will give out new Spanish decorations as well. Charles might get the collar of Carlos III while Camilla gets the grand cross of Isabella the Catholic. It would be really a stretch to suppose that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will also be decorated, but I'm still keeping my hopes up, especially for Kate, who doesn't deserve to walk "orderless" to another state banquet !
Old 07-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There are other ways to learn about things than at school and university.

Andrew has been involved with a number of hospitals over the years and so probably has gained knowledge about sorts of research they do in the medical field. He is also heavily involved in technology type organisations and again this is the sort of area which is often involved in medical research.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

So yes I think Andrew knows more about technology and research then William who took biology in high school.
Again, I doubt Andrew has any meaningful scientific knowledge of biology or medical technology. Neither does the Queen probably. I agree with you though that, as a patron, Andrew has been involved with education and technology, which BTW is quite ironic for someone who was a mediocre student and, to quote from Diana's diary, was always seen by the family as not particularly bright.

Anyway, we are going off-topic with this side discussion. The point about William was not really that he should tour the Crick Institute with Felipe , but rather that, as a future king, he should be given the opportunity to meet Felipe privately as Charles will. Who knows, maybe William will attend the private lunch at Buckingham Palace ? Let's hope so.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Again, I doubt Andrew has any meaningful scientific knowledge of biology or medical technology. Neither does the Queen probably. I agree with you though that, as a patron, Andrew has been involved with education and technology, which BTW is quite ironic for someone who was a mediocre student and, to quote from Diana's diary, was always seen by the family as not particularly bright.

Anyway, we are going off-topic with this side discussion.
So Kate should only focus on art? Because she had no related knowledge in any other field. How is due qualified to be a patron in any other field?

Andrew has knowledge the same way any royal patron does. Through research and work on his patrinages. The twenty plus years he has been patron and the research he has gone for his work, certainly is vastly greater then what the Cambridges would learn in a few weeks of cramming.

And I dont take Diana's opinion on her former family without a dump truck of salt.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Y'all, the visit has not even started and this has 16 sites with, sorry to say this, pointless discussions and few informative posts

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 07-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Royal Highness

We don't know whether or not W&K will meet with F&L privately as it likely wouldn't be announced in advance. Let's just wait and see
Old 07-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, if the Cambridge's attend the State Banquet at Buckingham Palace, they will meet up with The King and Queen. They will meet up ahead of the procession and Banquet. There's coffee, other drinks served and mingling involved after the banquet.

I'm not sure about orders for the Cambridge's, but it's possible.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Charles might get the collar of Carlos III while Camilla gets the grand cross of Isabella the Catholic.!
Collar of Carlos III Order is only for Heads of State, members of the Spanish Royal Family or Spaniards who have previously had the Great Cross for certain years. So the Prince of Wales can not receive it.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Aristocracy

Besides, Felipe can receive a British order without bestowing any Spanish one. That's what happened in Japan last April as the Emperors, the Crown Prince couple and the Akishinos all already had the orders that are usually bestowed on their peers.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

While I understand that QEII is too old to do further events with the Kings, its strange that Charles or at least William are not on duty for the separate events but Harry, Andrew and Anne.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
It is a pity that the King and the Queen won't have any private event with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but will have two (!) events with the Duke of York. I am still confident though that William and Catherine will attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace.
indeed, a bit sad that WK don't have a formal role in the visit, since for the visit by Singapore they were involved in greeting the presidential couple at their hotel. they participated in one form or another in the visits from singapore and from china, but given that there were quite a few state visits as of late that they didn't get involved in, such as those from colombia or mexico (and that they have a visit to poland and germany coming up), maybe we won't see them this time either... it would be a real shame as i think they would have been a great team of royals to work together.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I've never seen Letizia in a carriage before and I'm thinking this might be her first ,I wonder which one will Felipe VI and Letizia ride in?
As I mentioned in posts 295, 299 and 304: The Queen and Felipe will ether use the closed Diamond Jubilee State Coach or the open 1902 State Landau. Philip/Letizia and other members of the BRF will use other open Landaus or the closed Australian, Irish or Scottish State Coaches.