The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It was stupid to call an election around the same time of a big State Visit. I'm sure they could've scheduled the election at lest a week after. That's like scheduling surgery around the same day you have to go to work.
I'm sorry but in what universe should a pointless state visit by a purely ceremonial head of state of a nation that's not even one of our closest allies (in the way that Canada or the US is) take precedence over a general election?!

The UK faces some of the most critical years in our post-war history as we negotiate our freedom from the EU straight-jacket. The PM understands, quite rightly, that she needs a bigger mandate from the people for her vision and so she's seeking the opinion of the people (what an outrage!! ).

British elections are almost always in May/June and always on a Thursday. May would be too soon so that rules it out. June is a busy month for HM with the Garter, Ascot etc. so the 8th was the best option. The Spaniards have already cancelled once on us, we would simply be returning the favour. Most Brits would have no clue that this visit's even due to happen.

I will be truly amazed if this goes ahead, as well as concerned that HM has taken leave of her senses.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Frankly, according to reports May decided to call this election after some careful thinking this bank holiday weekend and informed The Queen on Monday of her decision.

Whilst I agree that a GE is important, we were by no means expecting one to happen. But we were expecting a state visit from a King and Queen of Europe, the amount of planning that has gone in to that etc, frankly on some level someone in the palace is very annoyed that this GE is ruining the State Visit.

If you can fit a general election, around The Queens engagements (which frankly I doubt is the case), you can fit it around a State Visit, one that's already been cancelled once.

It's not up to The Queen whether this visit goes ahead, it's the choice of the government. Frankly if anything it make the whole situation easier for everyone, nobodies going to pop up in parliament and shout Gibraltar at someone.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 AM
Majesty

Everyone will be happy to welcome guests but not when all and everyone is in the middle of a reconstruction and removal. We all will know this feeling when your (new) house is upside down and we rather want to spend our time in a DIY-store to order the new tiles for the bathroom than to sit up nicely dressed and offer a diner in between all this.

This is more or less what happens during the State Visit. All Whitehall is spread out to campaign in Clacton, Doncaster, St Ives, Witney, Carlisle, Uxbridge and oh yes... while the polling stations are prepared, Their Majesties The King and Queen of Spain are received in between for a fullblown State Visit...
Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Frankly, according to reports May decided to call this election after some careful thinking this bank holiday weekend and informed The Queen on Monday of her decision.

Whilst I agree that a GE is important, we were by no means expecting one to happen. But we were expecting a state visit from a King and Queen of Europe, the amount of planning that has gone in to that etc, frankly on some level someone in the palace is very annoyed that this GE is ruining the State Visit.

If you can fit a general election, around The Queens engagements (which frankly I doubt is the case), you can fit it around a State Visit, one that's already been cancelled once.

It's not up to The Queen whether this visit goes ahead, it's the choice of the government. Frankly if anything it make the whole situation easier for everyone, nobodies going to pop up in parliament and shout Gibraltar at someone.
I just think the General Election shouldn't been called around the time to clash with the State Visit. It's a bonehead move, imo.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

IMO for the Spanish government Felipe addressing parliament was the real highlight of the visit what is now not possible, the rest would go more or less unnoticed, in Spanish and especially in UK media.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 AM

Good afternoon. Charming stancies.

Maybe we should name the elephant in the living room.

After all in Spain those things do not shut up. Theresa May has consciously sabotaged the state visit of HHMM the Kings of Spain, after the publishing of clause 22 in the European Commission's guidelines for the Brexit negotiations.
Lord Howard threatened the war, Admiral Sir Christofer Parry threatened to "burn the beards of the king of Spain," and Lord Tebbit threatened to "support the independence of Catalonia."

Now Theresa May wants to humiliate the kings of Spain.

Well, goal reached. And tomorrow?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

British parliament backs May's plan for June 8 snap election

British parliament backs May's plan for June 8 snap election | Reuters
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
IMO for the Spanish government Felipe addressing parliament was the real highlight of the visit what is now not possible, the rest would go more or less unnoticed, in Spanish and especially in UK media.
What does King Felipe's address to the UK parliament change/improve/affect?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
What does King Felipe's address to the UK parliament change/improve/affect?
On State Visits, he usually visits the important institutions of the host country and speaks at the national assembly/parliament, giving those in audience - the elected representatives of the country - the message that the Spanish government wants to get across, with regard to the UK certainly a strong statement on Gibraltar and the EU while praising the good old days of history and hoping for close ties in the future.

This is the whole public point of the State Visit, while other bilateral meetings/politics are going on in the background.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I will be truly amazed if this goes ahead, as well as concerned that HM has taken leave of her senses.
As Lumutqueen wrote, It's not up to HM.

Quote:
A state visit like this always goes unnoticed on British television with the exception of a visit from the US/China (and Japan/Ireland due to the special circumstances), but Getty Images will of course publish many videos and pictures, ITN SOURCE will also publish some videos, Daily Fail vill publish articles with many pictures (less than usual, due to the election) and we may see some clips on BBC One/ITV television news (less than usual, due to the election) - see post 175.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
On State Visits, he usually visits the important institutions of the host country and speaks at the national assembly/parliament, giving those in audience - the elected representatives of the country - the message that the Spanish government wants to get across, with regard to the UK certainly a strong statement on Gibraltar and the EU while praising the good old days of history and hoping for close ties in the future.

This is the whole public point of the State Visit, while other bilateral meetings/politics are going on in the background.
Thanks for the clarifications!
Given the current situation in the UK, British MPs will be in no mood for speeches about good old days and etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to the newspaper El País, both governments could be looking for a new date.

With the scheduled dates it would be impossible to speak at Westminster, which is the main event of the visit.

España y Reino Unido buscan nuevas fechas para la visita de los Reyes | España | EL PAÍS

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has just said that both countries are talking to decide what to do

http://www.heraldo.es/noticias/inter...70898-306.html
Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is important to get this State Visit right - i.e. King Felipe being able to address parliament and if this means fixing a new date, then so be it.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

I guess the issue is finding a new time, it can't now be until after the election which is on 8th June. Allowing the week after for the PM putting a cabinet together etc (no point not turning up in an election period only to turn up when everyone is too busy doing other things than to meet the King) we then reach the week starting the 19th June and, oh wait its Order of the Garter service then Royal Ascot week, then they will want to fit in a State Opening of Parliament. Then we are only weeks before the Queen goes to Balmoral...then we are into October and its close to when Trump is meant to visit.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps an invite during the time of the Order of the Garter service and then attending Ascot week with a stay at Windsor Castle would be nice? Has HM ever had foreign royals staying for these events before?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps an invite during the time of the Order of the Garter service and then attending Ascot week with a stay at Windsor Castle would be nice? Has HM ever had foreign royals staying for these events before?
Yes, The Queen has hosted foreign royals during Garter and Ascot week. The foreign royals used to attend these events.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, when she has honoured foreign royals with the garter, but not under a state visit I think. Royals from across europe attended the service during the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Hmmm... seems to me that this might be a good time to mix things up. Invite Spain for that week and have them attend the Garter service and Ascot and one of the days while the Queen and Letizia are at Ascot, Felipe can do his parliamentary thing and then meet back at the castle for dinner.

There is always very good press coverage of Ascot and the Garter service and Felipe gets to do his thing with the government and everybody's happy and having a good time. Seems like a good idea to me. What better way of hosting a state visit than by including the visiting royals in things that are purely British and traditional?

Question. Is either Felipe or Letizia an avid horse person?

Anyways, what do I know. Just my ideas.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

As Trooping and Ascot is only a week after the election (17th June for Trooping) with Ascot starting on the following Tuesday and Garter Day on the 19th those dates don't really work.

The parliament won't be sitting again until after the official State Opening of Parliament and that can't happen until after the election, the swearing in of the new cabinet etc.

With Ascot already in the schedule for less than two weeks after the election I would think that the next State Opening would be in late June - possibly the 28th.

The BBC is suggesting the 14th - 6 days after the election - or 21st in Ascot week which HM won't like.

The date for that will have to be quite quick after the election as the parliament goes into its summer break in July not to return until September - that may change slightly with this election as they haven't updated the websites since the announcement of course.

It would be totally unacceptable for a foreign Head of State to address the parliament before HM has formally opened the parliament.

One thing that could result from this election is a new speaker for the Commons with a different attitude to the other potential State Visitor this year being able to address the parliament.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

IMO.. just cancel it, full stop.