The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Will be a good conversation starter at the state banquet ...

Yeah, but it wouldn't be that difficult to make things unbearable for Gibraltar. Just cut the power, close the crossings, close the water supply, ban flights to Gibraltar from crossing EU airspace and close the trade.
Within a few months, Britain would be forced to agree to a humiliating settlement. - So no one would be so foolish as to even contemplate military force.

The Gibraltar issue is nothing but teasing and stirring the mainly British public, because outside Spain, I doubt anyone else in EU care one hoot about Gibraltar.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

All the protagonists of this story know perfectly the situation, no matter how much political noise they want to make now. But one thing is the nationalist propaganda, and another the reality that affects the daily life of the citizens.

90% of the citizens of Gibraltar voted against Brexit, and they knew what they were voting. They want to remain part of the UK, but at the same time they know that their economic survival without presence in the European Union is difficult. UK wants to close borders, but Gibraltar needs free movement of citizens with Spain. They enjoyed being British when that supposed to live much better than the Spaniards, but after the Brexit will be difficult to maintain that privileged existence. If Gibraltar wants the best of two worlds, it will have to give in to something.

It would be foolish for Spain to accept having a border with all kinds of special advantages (including many tax advantages) without saying anything. And the proposal of Spain, is to open negotiations that allow Gibraltar to have the best of two worlds.

Theresa May did not mention Gibraltar in her letter to the EU. Economic interests and the transfer of citizens make Spain one of the best allies for the United Kingdom in the negotiations with the European Union. Both countries have many common interests and Gibraltar is an obstacle. The position of Gibraltar is even facing that of hundreds of thousands of Birtanians living in Spain, and for whom obtaining dual citizenship of both countries would be a solution.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it's looking like the Spanish state visit is going to have to be postponed again. Assuming the PM gets the votes for it in Parliament, there is going to be a general election on the 8th of June. I can't imagine the visit would happen during a campaign at all, let alone at the very end of it.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I guess this will have impact on the planned state visit to UK??

Theresa May calls UK general election for 8 June

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lection-8-june
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

It will most likely be postponed again

What a strange timing...
Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

are there any reactions in spain? to put the election on this specific date can be seen as a polite un-invitation by the government, the timing being not good with all the brexit/gibraltar talk....
Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Royal Highness

Will the visit be canceled? Or delayed? It's strange that the elections are scheduled for that date ...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
are there any reactions in spain? to put the election on this specific date can be seen as a polite un-invitation by the government, the timing being not good with all the brexit/gibraltar talk....
Yeah, that was what I thought too

It's up to the British Government to cancel the visit now, so I guess we will have to wait until something is made official to get some response. The elections anouncement has come as a surprise to everybody, I've seen some remarks to the fact that the date coincide with the visit but mostly everybody is expecting the next step from UK.

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I hope its not postponed yet again!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Parliament have to agree to this election - probably a vote tomorrow. Need 7/8 weeks notice.

Politically its an interesting move but I would say that Parliament will agree and the royal visit will be postponed

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Yeah, that was what I thought too

It's up to the British Government to cancel the visit now, so I guess we will have to wait until something is made official to get some response. The elections anouncement has come as a surprise to everybody, I've seen some remarks to the fact that the date coincide with the visit but mostly everybody is expecting the next step from UK.

there is no way a 3 day state visit can go ahead with an election scheduled on the 3rd day. the government of course knew their own schedule so i assume they told the spanish through diplomatic channels that there was no other date possible than june 8
first no government in spain at the date, now no government in uk at the date, this visit seems to be doomed. we will see if they are in order for the donald's visit in autum.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
It will most likely be postponed again

What a strange timing...
The Spanish State Visit will have to be postponed as it was originally scheduled for June 6-8 and June 8 will be election day.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

King and Queen's visit on the air after the announcement of early elections on UK

El anuncio de adelanto electoral en Reino Unido deja en el aire la visita de Estado de los Reyes

Google Translation: https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Quote:
Receiving the visit of a foreign leader to boost the bilateral relationship between Spain and UK in the middle of Brexit negotiation would not match well with the expected neutrality of the British Government in such moments.

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's pretty silly to call an election during the time of an official state visit is scheduled to occur. Rather inconsiderate, imo.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

there is no way a 3 day state visit can go ahead with an election scheduled on the 3rd day. the government of course knew their own schedule so i assume they told the spanish through diplomatic channels that there was no other date possible than june 8
first no government in spain at the date, now no government in uk at the date, this visit seems to be doomed. we will see if they are in order for the donald's visit in autum.
The US state visit in the fall is pretty safe as long as Mrs May is reelected with a bigger majority, which is the most likely scenario at the moment. Elections can be unpredictable though. If there is a change of government, then the US visit may be also in doubt.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Will the visit be canceled? Or delayed? It's strange that the elections are scheduled for that date ...
For me it's not strange but perfectly deliberate (Gibraltar, if you know what i mean ).
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For me it's not strange but perfectly deliberate (Gibraltar, if you know what i mean ).
it's called 'to kill two birds with one stone'
Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Majesty

i very much doubt theresa may was trying to be uninviting to felipe and letizia and their visit. she has more important things in her head right now than their state visit. it probably was a suitable time for some reason in the UK political calendar and in the EU's political calendar so that they can get on with their desired brexit without delays. delaying or not the visit is probably the least of may's problems at this point.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness

I mean they either postpone again, or make it a two day visit. But it says it all why May chose the 8th. I see you Theresa.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I mean they either postpone again, or make it a two day visit. But it says it all why May chose the 8th. I see you Theresa.
Of course we see her ! This visit has been a needle in the foot for the post-Brexit government. How convenient to call a general election the very same day !
It's bordeline offensive for the Spaniards if you ask me ...