State Visit from the Emperor and Empress of Japan: Spring 2020 [postponed]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
Japan-UK.png

https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-emperor-and-empress-japan

Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan have accepted an invitation from Her Majesty The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom in Spring 2020.

Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress (Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako) will stay at Windsor Castle.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t it be nice if she gave him the Garter.

At last some good news from the UK front !
Mega pump ahead !

Last edited:
Lovely to see that the first outgoing State Visit of the new imperial couple will be to the UK. That is really something to look forward to.

Great. I had a feeling a state visit would come shortly after the enthronement. Japan is a priority country post-Brexit.

And I am also happy that the state dinner will be at Windsor rather than Buckingham Palace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Harry and Meghan will attend? This will be a great tiara event -- I look forward to seeing the royals and their jewelry choices.

Probably a stupid question:

Will her majesty bring out the carriages and horses for a parade to Buckingham palace, at the Mall? And there will be gala events with jewels? Can't say I have seen anything like that for years.

Probably a stupid question:

Will her majesty bring out the carriages and horses for a parade to Buckingham palace, at the Mall? And there will be gala events with jewels? Can't say I have seen anything like that for years.

It’s a state visit so they’ll be a banquet with tiaras. A banquet similar was held for Donald Trump when he visited for the second time last year.

As they’re staying at Windsor, I doubt we’ll see carriages.

I wonder if Harry and Meghan will attend? This will be a great tiara event -- I look forward to seeing the royals and their jewelry choices.

The dimmed light at Windsor will give a much better sparkling effect to the diamonds and the table setup will allow us to see the guests better than we would at Buckingham Palace.

I would be very surprised if Harry and Meghan attended . They will probably be in their new home in Canada .

It’s a state visit so they’ll be a banquet with tiaras. A banquet similar was held for Donald Trump when he visited for the second time last year.

As they’re staying at Windsor, I doubt we’ll see carriages.

I think there will be carriages as the usual protocol in Windsor includes a State welcome at the Windsor station then a carriage procession to the castle via the Long Walk.

I think there will be carriages as the usual protocol in Windsor includes a State welcome at the Windsor station then a carriage procession to the castle via the Long Walk.

Can someone help me with the last State Visit that was hosted at Windsor?

The King and Queen of Spain were originally going to Windsor until the date was postponed.

Last edited:
Splendid.. Something to look forward to !

I think it was the President of Ireland in 2014.

The King and Queen of Spain were going to be hosted at Windsor originally, but the visit was moved to Buckingham Palace after it was rescheduled.

Last edited:
Lovely to see that the first outgoing State Visit of the new imperial couple will be to the UK. That is really something to look forward to.

Agreed! A worthy destination given that so many Imperial Family members have studied abroad in the United Kingdom and how fond the Emperor is of the country.

Will the state visit take place before or after the investiture in April?

The King and Queen of Spain were originally going to Windsor until the date was postponed.

Here we are :

Last edited by a moderator:

Unlikely, IMO. I can't see H&M, as part time royals, being invited to state banquets and state events unless there is a specific connection with the visiting guests, which in this case I do not think there is.

Do you mean before or after?

I am hoping there will be a sufficient space between these two milestone events so that neither will take attention from the other.

Sorry - yes, I think it'll be after. Before would take away from the ceremony preparations

I love state visits.
I wonder if Princess Aiko will attend?

I love state visits.

Wouldn't that be a lovely surprise! I think it's highly unlikely, however. She's still considered under age for Imperial duties.

This state visit is such wonderful news to wake up to! I'm so happy that the Emperor and Empress chose this as their first overseas official visit since the enthronement, and the fact that it will take place at Windsor--surely less intimidating and more private for Masako than BP--is even more exciting. I can't wait to see the date, and I am so looking forward to all the photos! (I need an happy dance emoji here)

I love state visits.

Have any other visiting heads of state ever brought their minor children on a state visit to the UK or any other country? Judging from other royal couples who have minor children, it doesn't appear to be the normal practice.

I'm thrilled to hear this news and really look forward to the State Visit.

I imagine it will be on exactly the same lines as other State Visits - carriage rides, welcoming ceremony, State Banquet, reciprocal banquet as well as the itinerary for the daytime.

I love state visits.

I don’t see why she would/should.

When King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia stayed at Windsor in 1986 (?), their children did not attend the state dinner hosted by Queen Elizabeth. However, there was a ( white-tie) return dinner later hosted by the Spanish monarch where I believe Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina were present , which was unusual. Prince Felipe, who had just turned 18, did not accompany his parents to either event if I am not mistaken.

And, to stress Tatiana Maria’s point, the infantas were not minors at that time.

EDIT: I found a picture of the Infantas with Princess Anne at the return dinner , see the link below.

Last edited:
Glad to see you if you are going to do it!
For when a state visit of the Kings of Belgium to the United Kingdom? It is strange that they have not yet made a state visit to the United Kingdom.

I'm thrilled to hear this news and really look forward to the State Visit.

I imagine it will be on exactly the same lines as other State Visits - carriage rides, welcoming ceremony, State Banquet, reciprocal banquet as well as the itinerary for the daytime.

They haven’t done the return dinner ( or “ reciprocal event “ like a concert for example) in many recent state visits, maybe because they are shorter now. There was no return event that I can recall for example during King Felipe’s or King Willem-Alexander’s visits , but President Trump hosted a black-tie dinner that was attended by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall , but not by the Queen ( no tiaras there either).

I find this lack of return events very odd.

Glad to see you if you are going to do it!
For when a state visit of the Kings of Belgium to the United Kingdom? It is strange that they have not yet made a state visit to the United Kingdom.

To paraphrase President Obama ‘s infamous quote during the Brexit referendum campaign, I guess The Belgians are “ at the back of the queue “. I do hope, however, that The Queen finds a way to honor them before the end of her reign.

Right now, I understand why Japan is more of a priority.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom