The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Courtier

I understand, a little, the machinations of diplomacy, and the need for co-operation between these two countries, or at least, the need for the West to remain on good terms with Saudi Arabia, with oil, as ever being the bottom line. Yet again, I'm impressed with Her Majesty's dignity and sense of duty. She draws immediate comparisons between her own constitutional monarchical role and the tolerance of countries like England which permits protests and criticisms of her, her family and her government and the dictatorial, intolerant and brutal regime of Saudi Arabia.

Whereas The Queen obliges her government in all things, I dislike seeing her in the company of such rulers. I understand that the visit was difficult and problematic to arrange and very nearly didn't eventuate. I, for one, wished that it hadn't.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dear Polly, Thank you for your accurate analysis of this situation. They also accept large gifts from these people, too.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Good show on Camilla getting the Family Order. I think she works really well to support the work of the Royal family. they've needed someone like that for a long time.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Royal Highness

I am so happy to see that Camilla received the Family Order! I was wondering when it would happen, and I looked at the picture and there it was! Well done, Your Majesty!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla would have received it at one time or another...it was inevitable

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

It is rather a complex situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I understand, a little, the machinations of diplomacy, and the need for co-operation between these two countries, or at least, the need for the West to remain on good terms with Saudi Arabia, with oil, as ever being the bottom line. Yet again, I'm impressed with Her Majesty's dignity and sense of duty. She draws immediate comparisons between her own constitutional monarchical role and the tolerance of countries like England which permits protests and criticisms of her, her family and her government and the dictatorial, intolerant and brutal regime of Saudi Arabia.

Whereas The Queen obliges her government in all things, I dislike seeing her in the company of such rulers. I understand that the visit was difficult and problematic to arrange and very nearly didn't eventuate. I, for one, wished that it hadn't.

I think that the government has much to answer. Didn't the PM say recently that they'd have nothing to do with dictators? Or did he just mean dictators who had nothing which his government wanted or valued? To be fair, I guess, it was the last PM who organised this visit, but it brings no credit to either, in my opinion.

Although Her Majesty was not representing Australia, she is this country's Head of State too, and I'm more than uncomfortable with this visit. As a member of Amnesty International and two church organisations which work hard on behalf of the dispossessed, oppressed, tortured and murdered, everwhere, I deeply resent it.
The Saudi King is an absolute ruler of the country. So he does whatever necessary to protect the current regime. The UK and other stable European nations have their ways to manage countries, whereas the countries of the Persian Gulf have their approaches. At the same time, it is fair to presume that some European monarchs did accept gifts from dictators.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Tiara pics

Two Tiaras, and an RFO, from the State Banquet

°
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 AM

Saudi king visits Britain - Telegraph

Camilla becomes the royal dazzler at controversial banquet | the Daily Mail

The Queen could not have looked more delighted to greet the old despot | the Daily Mail

The Times Court Circular for the 30 October 2007 events: Order of events, who attended, the King's delegation, etc.

Royal Insight Gallery Updated with three pictures from yesterday

Royal Insight > Gallery > Saudi Visit (The Royal Collection items on show yesterday for The King and his party)
Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Royal Highness

Camilla becomes the royal dazzler at controversial banquet

Camilla becomes the royal dazzler at controversial banquet | the Daily Mail
_________

Very good news that Camilla wears the Family Order now! She looks great with the eye catching tiara!
But the most cute thing is the pic in the D.... Mail where you can see Charles and Camilla sitting in the car holding hands.
How sweet is that!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

A visit long overdue, IMO. Saudi Arabia has been a good friend to the UK! Although there were not 1000's to greet the king, there were only a handful of demonstrators, I think we are all sick to death of hearing how other countries should deal with their criminals. Until this country get's it's own house in order and deals with the violent muggers and terroism that goes on every night on Britains streets, we have to wonder who has the correct approach!
Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
Very good news that Camilla wears the Family Order now! She looks great with the eye catching tiara!
But the most cute thing is the pic in the D.... Mail where you can see Charles and Camilla sitting in the car holding hands.
How sweet is that!
It was wonderful to see Camilla showing The Queens affection toward her, with the wearing of the Family Order. The picture in the Dirty Mail of Charles and Camilla holding hands is ahhhhhh!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think he colours his beard and moustache, it looks unnaturally black for someone his age, not attractive at all.

Why does he not bring one of his wives, I assume he has several, is there not a wife number 1?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Camilla looked wonderful it obvious that she is in the right place or I would say the right order .

Quote:
I think he colours his beard and moustache, it looks unnaturally black for someone his age, not attractive at all.

Why does he not bring one of his wives, I assume he has several, is there not a wife number 1?
I agree with you about the color of his beard and moustache it is look like what my father moustache look after coloring it, it is not good at all.

about his wives it seems he have one wive and she is not princess and all his children who are known by the public from her this what I hear from my relative who lives in saudi arabia.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't say that Camilla looked dazziling but very spohisticated. It was about time anyway that she would recieve a family order. And the Queen was the dazziling at the banquet.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown (L) greets King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia as he visits 10 Downing Street, London, 31 October 2007. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia met British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Wednesday to discuss Middle East issues and counter-terrorism, amid a swirl of protests

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall on their way from Clarence House to Buckingham Place to attend the State Banquet for King Abdullah
30th October

Fotobanka isifa image service

()
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Courtier

Thanks milla Ca. The pic is really wonderful. Once again Charles is showing how tenderly and needily for love he is. Some years ago nobody could believe it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

QUENTIN LETTS: The Queen could not have looked more delighted to greet the old despot | the Daily Mail
according to this article the king has been married 30 times. It does not say whether that is one wife at a time or every few years a new bunch of wives

Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.......Abdullah has had over thirty wives during his lifetime, among them Tardi Al-Jorba, Hessa Al Shaalan, Aida, Anud, Malika, and al-Jauhara. ,,,,,,,,,

Secretive ruler treasured and tolerated by western allies | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
.....Like his age and wealth, details of the king's personal life are also hazy. He is thought to have more than 30 wives and at least 25 children......

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri View Post
Camilla looked wonderful it obvious that she is in the right place or I would say the right order .

I agree with you about the color of his beard and moustache it is look like what my father moustache look after coloring it, it is not good at all.

about his wives it seems he have one wive and she is not princess and all his children who are known by the public from her this what I hear from my relative who lives in saudi arabia.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post

I have never seen the Saudi Royal Family "showcasing" their females in public.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
QUENTIN LETTS: The Queen could not have looked more delighted to greet the old despot | the Daily Mail

according to this article the king has been married 30 times. It does not say whether that is one wife at a time or every few years a new bunch of wives

Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.......Abdullah has had over thirty wives during his lifetime, among them Tardi Al-Jorba, Hessa Al Shaalan, Aida, Anud, Malika, and al-Jauhara. ,,,,,,,,,
Interesting infromation although I don't think Wikipedia is a good resource for true infromation , personally I know that Tadi not tardi Al-Jorba is his first wife and she is from arabian tribe which is also the same tribe that his mother from.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall on their way from Clarence House to Buckingham Place to attend the State Banquet for King Abdullah
30th October

Fotobanka isifa image service

()
Lovely picture

I think this picture will be on the top of month poll

Tags
elizabeth ii, king abdullah, queen elizabeth ii, saudi arabia, state visit