The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Star of the Republic of Indonesia, First Class (Riband and Star)
Thanks!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

The President & his wife have attended the Lord Mayor's Banquet at the Guildhall. There is a picture on Getty. The Duke of Gloucester was present but Duchess was not. She was not present at the State Banquet yesterday too according to the Court Circular. It's sad :(, hope she is doing well.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Majesty

I know the photographers try to put the main focus of The Queen and visiting Head of State at these State Banquets but all I'm saying it would be nice to see all the senior members of the royal family who are attending. After all, what's the use of taking your time getting ready, putting all your finest jewels, Orders, etc if your not going to be pictured at your best?

That's why I like the way the other European royal houses handle these great occassions. They not only roll out the red carpet for their guest but they allow their subjects to see these great events.

I think the palace should allow either the BBC, Sky or ITV to broadcast Live Coverage of the arrivals of the dignitaries, guest, Head of State , The Queen and members of the royal family. Show the procession of The Queen & Head of State into the ballroom and the speeches. The rest is pretty private, like the eating of the dinner, etc. I like the access CSPAN.org have to the State Visits at The White House. I think it allows the American citizens to watch our Head of State welcome another Head of State and show us the ties and bond our countries have with each other.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Here is a video of The White House State Dinner honoring Her Majesty The Queen. Hosted by President Bush & Mrs. Bush in 2007:
State Dinner for Queen Elizabeth II - C-SPAN Video Library
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

I think the palace should allow either the BBC, Sky or ITV to broadcast Live Coverage of the arrivals of the dignitaries, guest, Head of State , The Queen and members of the royal family. Show the procession of The Queen & Head of State into the ballroom and the speeches. The rest is pretty private, like the eating of the dinner, etc.
Do they want to cover it?

I'm not sure the networks would want to give up regular programming for something that (probably) a majority of people in the UK either don't know is happening or really couldn't care less about. While a state visit from the President of the USA or France (provided his wife is a former top catwalk model) might catch the public imagination and garner the attention of the media, the majority of state visits do not. I really can't imagine the networks falling over themselves for access.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Do they want to cover it?

I'm not sure the networks would want to give up regular programming for something that (probably) a majority of people in the UK either don't know is happening or really couldn't care less about. While a state visit from the President of the USA or France (provided his wife is a former top catwalk model) might catch the public imagination and garner the attention of the media, the majority of state visits do not. I really can't imagine the networks falling over themselves for access.
Yes - but I do think the BBC would gladly send a camera to capture it all to post online. Eyes of interest = $$$$
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Majesty

I know the BBC would in a minute. I think the British people should pay attention to these kind of events and what their Soverign is doing. Or else none of this stuff matters and the government and Monarchy should stop putting on these events.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think these events are very important and it highlight the links and bonds our countries have with each other.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
I know the BBC would in a minute. I think the British people should pay attention to these kind of events and what their Soverign is doing. Or else none of this stuff matters and the government and Monarchy should stop putting on these events.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think these events are very important and it highlight the links and bonds our countries have with each other.
You're right the BBC would jump at the chance, and the British public would probably enjoy seeing it if the event was publicised. The main issue here is they're not allowed in, look at the coverage we got of William and Catherine's wedding, it was minimal at best. I'm talking after the wedding ceremony itself, obviously. Compared to other family the BRF are closed off technologically to the world.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Commoner

State visits

If everyone who wants to see more photos, at least, if not film, of the beginning of state banquets were to write to the Press Office at Buckingham Palace, it might perhaps have an impact. Letters are treated far more seriously than emails these days, when emails are so easy to do. I think the Palace does care about what people think, and if they think there is a large constituency out there who are interested, and who might be pleased with a really simple step, then they might perhaps act on it. I shall write. Just a thought!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I am very happy with the level of official engagements that are currently being carried out by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and see no reason whatsover why the level should increase at the present time. We have the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and we have the next in line to the throne in the form of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. Once Charles becomes king, then William and Catherine will be far more visable and will have far more engagements to carry out. In the meantime, the perception is that William (and of-course Harry too) is doing a proper job in the armed forces of which we are all very proud. I think people in general would prefer him to do this rather than go in for a quick stint just to say he did it and then wear the uniform just for the sake of it! The medals he and Harry wear will be rightly deserved!
William is not a reluctant heir - far from it! He is proud of his country and will do all he can for it. He will not shirk from his destiny and will become an amazing monarch. Yet in his current position he must do what will be most useful in his life, which is to serve his country in the forces.
I agree, I don't think the general public in the UK has a strong feeling that they should be doing more at the moment. There are occasional tabloid comments because they want to make money by printing photos of royal occasions! But while William is serving as a pilot, I think people generally feel he is occupying his time well. I don't get a general impression that people here see him as reluctant, either - ever since he's started doing royal duties solo, he has seemed increasingly at ease and more polished in his performance, and I'm quite sure it has been good for him to assume a more high profile role gradually. I'm not sure there would be major disapproval if he decided to stay on for three more years either; especially since it is likely he and Catherine will start a family soon, I think there would be a lot of sympathy for them to do so in a relatively low-key background. I'm quite sure the Royal Family perspective is that he isn't the heir, he is the heir of the heir, so he doesn't need to have a full time presence at the moment (it is just the way the generations have fallen that they are now the glamorous young couple that everyone wants to see, even though they aren't yet the heir and spouse).
Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I thought there was a rule that the public could not see the BRF eating dinner at events such as these? Do I remember that correctly?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
I thought there was a rule that the public could not see the BRF eating dinner at events such as these? Do I remember that correctly?
Well eating's one thing but watching them arrive and seeing them sit down isn't too much to ask.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Majesty

No, no one expects to see the royal family and their guest eating. No camera should be able to film that.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman View Post
I sorry but I don't think that it is just what HM and Charles think! When you are away from the public eye as much as they are people start to think that they can live with out them! If them all show up to less than 75 events a year then there will be a problem in the future. We are not just talking about this one event or even ten events, we are talking about putting the future king and queen on the back burner. I have gotten myself out of bed at 4am to watch events! I am not a person that wants to see this but I can understand that the less they are around the less people will care! I find myself wondering if they will ever become full time royals, I find myself giving up on them and as a American it may not mean much but as I said before if I feel this way, what do the people that hate the royal family saying! We have to look at the whole picture and for the past two years very little has been seen of them.
If the British people really felt seriously about wanting to see William and Catherine more, this would be a real issue in the country. My sense is that as of now, most people are content with the work that HM, DoE, C & C are carrying out as senior members of the BRF, just as they are content with W, H & Catherine carrying out occassional duties.

I appreciate your fervour and interest, long may it last. If you choose to give up on them, that is an entirely personal decision you are completely within your rights to make, but I doubt many within the BRF or the British public would care too deeply about.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Royal Highness

Has anyone seen pictures from the guildhall banquet last night? I couldn't find any.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Compared to other family the BRF are closed off technologically to the world.
The BRF most certainly are not 'closed off technologically'. God forbid these people should desire a modicum of privacy on their wedding day. I feel for the European royals whose every move during what's essentially a family occasion is broadcast live for the world to see. They must find their wedding day to be an exhausting trial since they can't relax at any stage, their behaviour is monitored and debated and they must be petrified the whole day that the world will see them doing something embarrassing.

The BRF has the perfect balance. They share the ceremony, the parade back to BP, the balcony appearance, the flypast, their wedding portraits, and then they're able to enjoy their own personal celebration with their family and friends in the evening.

State visits are not on the radar of 99% of the British public. There's no clamour to see who Princess Anne's sitting next to or whatever. The important bits are photographed and filmed and then the guests can relax and enjoy the evening without cameras pointing at them.

One final word on W & K. W has a very high public approval rating, even higher than HM. K's rating is well above 70%. They're just back from a major, exhausting overseas tour. They've done Trooping, the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics, the Garter and Thistle services, Remembrance Sunday, Sandringham at Christmas etc. I sense no public discontent with them. When W leaves SAR, probably in 2013, we'll see them much more often.

The RAF, and by definition the taxpayer, has invested a lot of money in training William. In return, he owes them the 30 months he signed up for at least.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Majesty

I think the BRF have the balance right - some public shows and some private times - far better than the European royals who allow the public into every event - it seems to me that they lack confidence in their ability to say 'no' to the public and simply no idea of keeping some times private.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If the British people really felt seriously about wanting to see William and Catherine more, this would be a real issue in the country. My sense is that as of now, most people are content with the work that HM, DoE, C & C are carrying out as senior members of the BRF, just as they are content with W, H & Catherine carrying out occassional duties.

I appreciate your fervour and interest, long may it last. If you choose to give up on them, that is an entirely personal decision you are completely within your rights to make, but I doubt many within the BRF or the British public would care too deeply about.
The only reason I want to respond about this any longer is due to the fact no one seems to understand me! A STATE VISIT is an impoant event in my book and I think that the a future king and queen should be there period! It not about clothes, hairstyles or jewerly. Sorry that me thinking that but it is the way I feel. I don't hate anyone or will I ever stop keeping up to date on what is going on with the BRF! I just feel that at this point William and Kate should be there for the big events of the year! Hate on me all you want, say I am to wrapped up in the royals lives, call me cold or what ever but I don't think me saying this is a bad thing! I guess that if I do not agree with others then I am wrong but remember if you think I am to wrapped up with royals you must be also other wise you would not be reading this post!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Gentry

Will is probably working, or on call, and can't leave Wales. If he was bumming around in London, then of course I'd be upset. But he has a job, one which does not keep regular 9-5 hours. He's taken plenty of time off this year for internationally significant events.

Given Prince Philip's health scares, I really doubt Will will sign up for another contract of service. Sometime next year his commitment is due to expire, and he and Kate will become full-time royals. After that I'll expect them at every state dinner. But right now Will's commitments keep them away.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Majesty

If the Queen is happy for Camilla (the wife of the heir to the throne) and the 2nd in line and his wife then that is that.

Looking at the popular press the State Visit hardly rates a mention so I would imagine that most people really don't care about it, possibly don't even know it is happening or really understand what they are all about, which is mostly the leader of Indonesia having talks with the PM and other government ministers and business people while the monarch gets to make the usual platidinous speech of no real meaning or value while the important stuff is taking place in Downing Street or elsewhere.

If you really want to see the important stuff then the cameras should be where the important discussions are taking place not showing some people getting dressed up in fancy clothes, emphasising the gulf between the haves and the have-nots, while making meaningless speeches.

Tags
indonesia, queen, united kingdom, yudhoyono