State Visit from the President of Indonesia: October 31-November 2, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, UK State Visits are some of the best events and I look forward to them every year just like I look forward to the U.S. State Visits.

I know some people on the net are upset The Cambridges didn't show up and we didn't get more pictures of the royal family in their regalia. I think it's just fine that the royals that attended this State event are full-time royals but at least show them. The only pictures I seen so far are of The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and The Princess Royal.

I guess we just have to face facts, The Cambridges won't show up until they are full-time members of the royal family. It's up to them to let us know when their current position will change.

I do think The Queen's Cameraman and other media outlets have to provide much more coverage at official State events like this because members of the public want to see and also royal watchers. We get more videos, pictures and Live Coverage at The White House State Dinners and Banquets than we do with British royal State Dinners and Banquets.

You are 100 % correct! I love the royal family and have since 1980 but I am starting to wonder what these people are thinking! Will and Kate are and will be the face of the BRF! If people start to think that they skip out on everything what future are we looking at? I support the royal family 110% and I am starting to ask questions , what are the people that hate them saying? The Queen must get them to attend such high profile events. I feel that William and Kate need to get out there and press the flesh as they say or every day people get rid of the lazy next generation! The York girls do not have to worry about being full time royals but William,Kate and Harry do! I am sick of hearing they are not full time royals yet! So when do they become one because the British people pay to protect them as if they are!!!!! Please remember this is coming for a person from the US who sings God save the Queen! I don't hate them but I am worried that this can't go on much longer!

If HM and Charles are content with the current level of participation by Willian, Catherine and Harry, everybody else ought to be so. W, C & H do their duty by attempting events of national importance like Rememberance Sunday, the Troooping and the Jubilee. A State dinner for a visiting dignitary is hardly of the same ilk, IMO.

I suppose the short answer is that William and Harry have full time jobs serving in the armed forces of the United Kingdom. Right now that is their primary role.
Catherine and William live primarily in Wales so there are logistical issues if they were to attempt a full time royal schedule based from there, blended with his SAR schedule. Harry is serving until next year in Afghanistan. Flying home to BP for a state dinner would be beyond ridiculous.
I also expect HM remembers fondly the days she was allowed to live quietly as a naval wife in Malta and thinks something similar would be good for William and Catherine. Best to make sure your marriage is sound before undertaking the full glare of daily media attention. There is also no pressing need for them to take on a full schedule of engagements, there are enough working royals as it is. I expect once William leaves the SAR and they take up residence in KP their schedule will fill up soon enough.
As for lack of attendance at this event, just what exactly have you missed? The event is basically private, the cameras are focussed solely on HM and her visitors. Any pics of other royals in attendace is pretty much accidental, like the back of Sophies head at the dinner table. State dinners are not photo ops, and other tham HM and the visitors, the other royals in attendance do not pose for pictures. Royal watchers have not missed out on anything.
As far as the public goes, aside from royals fanatics on these and similar boards, most people in the UK did not even know there was a state dinner at BP last night and would not have cared that William & Catherine were in Wales and not dining at BP. It is just not that big a deal.

If HM and Charles are content with the current level of participation by Willian, Catherine and Harry, everybody else ought to be so. W, C & H do their duty by attempting events of national importance like Rememberance Sunday, the Troooping and the Jubilee. A State dinner for a visiting dignitary is hardly of the same ilk, IMO.

I sorry but I don't think that it is just what HM and Charles think! When you are away from the public eye as much as they are people start to think that they can live with out them! If them all show up to less than 75 events a year then there will be a problem in the future. We are not just talking about this one event or even ten events, we are talking about putting the future king and queen on the back burner. I have gotten myself out of bed at 4am to watch events! I am not a person that wants to see this but I can understand that the less they are around the less people will care! I find myself wondering if they will ever become full time royals, I find myself giving up on them and as a American it may not mean much but as I said before if I feel this way, what do the people that hate the royal family saying! We have to look at the whole picture and for the past two years very little has been seen of them.

Why? What have they done turn you off?

What have they done that has shattered your hopes?

Let me be clear, I am a monarchist to my fingertips and love William and Catherine but as the future face of the BRF, they should be out and about more.
I realise William is in the RAF but he does get time off for royal duties and lets face it, at 30 W&C aren't exactly babes in the woods.

I just feel they are missing out on invaluable chances to learn from the Queen.
The BRF is way tooooo bloated and IMO it is time for the younger royals to assume a prominent role and older members to 'retire'
I seriously question HM's and Charles' judgement in this matter (except may be Charles doesn't want he and Camilla overshadowed by the glamorous Cambridges)

Last edited:
I sorry but I don't think that it is just what HM and Charles think! When you are away from the public eye as much as they are people start to think that they can live with out them! If them all show up to less than 75 events a year then there will be a problem in the future. We are not just talking about this one event or even ten events, we are talking about putting the future king and queen on the back burner. I have gotten myself out of bed at 4am to watch events! I am not a person that wants to see this but I can understand that the less they are around the less people will care! I find myself wondering if they will ever become full time royals, I find myself giving up on them and as a American it may not mean much but as I said before if I feel this way, what do the people that hate the royal family saying! We have to look at the whole picture and for the past two years very little has been seen of them.

Somehow this seems of much greater concern to people outside of the UK than inside the country. People in the UK know that both William and Harry have primary careers in the armed forces, and respect them for it. While people enjoy seeing William and Catherine undertake official duties I don't think there is any real clamour to see them cutting ribbons and inspecting regiments every day and certainly none to see Catherine decked out in a tiara every day. There is also something to be said for rarity of appearance making an appearance seem all that more important.
I think royal fans on these and other boards get their perspective on life a little skewed after awhile.
Once William gives up his SAR career and they move full time to KP you will all likely get your deepest wishes and see William and Catherine on a much more regular basis and then you can dish the dirt on her hair, clothes, makeup, jewels to your hearts content.

The Queen will be hosting another State Visit later this month. The Amir of the State of Kuwait will pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom and stay at Windsor Castle. From the 27 of November to the 29th.

Somehow this seems of much greater concern to people outside of the UK than inside the country. People in the UK know that both William and Harry have primary careers in the armed forces, and respect them for it. While people enjoy seeing William and Catherine undertake official duties I don't think there is any real clamour to see them cutting ribbons and inspecting regiments every day and certainly none to see Catherine decked out in a tiara every day. There is also something to be said for rarity of appearance making an appearance seem all that more important.
I think royal fans on these and other boards get their perspective on life a little skewed after awhile.
Once William gives up his SAR career and they move full time to KP you will all likely get your deepest wishes and see William and Catherine on a much more regular basis and then you can dish the dirt on her hair, clothes, makeup, jewels to your hearts content.

I think you saying that I have my perspective skewed is down right rude! Because I believe that they should work a little harder, I have the problem? If you look at the amount of post that I have posted over the years, you will see that I don't live to watch the royals! I guess that when people say something that other don't agree with it is OK to attack! I don't care about the cloths Kate wears or her hairstyle! I do care about the history of the BRF and its future! I guess the truth I speak and the concern of the truth can't be spoke out loud!

I think you saying that I have my perspective skewed is down right rude! Because I believe that they should work a little harder, I have the problem? If you look at the amount of post that I have posted over the years, you will see that I don't live to watch the royals! I guess that when people say something that other don't agree with it is OK to attack! I don't care about the cloths Kate wears or her hairstyle! I do care about the history of the BRF and its future! I guess the truth I speak and the concern of the truth can't be spoke out loud!

I agree with a lot of what you say.

I think you saying that I have my perspective skewed is down right rude! Because I believe that they should work a little harder, I have the problem?
So William should essentially have 2 full time jobs, SAR pilot and full time working royal? That is asking too much of any person I think. Head up to London to have dinner at BP, zip back to Wales for SAR duty then rush off to....anywhere else open a hospital, shake a few hands, smile for the cameras, zip back to Wales for more SAR duty. Tired, too bad, and so what if your being tired endangers someones life, we need to see you doing walk abouts and getting dressed up and smiling for the cameras every day. So what if we have been told early on that you would not be doing a full schedule of official duties, and that you would be living as an SAR pilot in Wales with your wife. So what if you had a posting in the Falklands, so what if you and your wife have done tours of Canada, LA, Malaysia, Tuvalu, Solomon Islands & Singapore, attended all the major Jubilee events and the Olympic events. Nope not enough. Every moment you are not in an SAR helicopter or on overseas tours, you should be out and about meeting and greeting and smiling for the cameras.:bang:

there is always not enough for some, and i must say they did attend lots of events even though W, H and C are not full time working royals yet and have military jobs going on. they must be really tired for working hard this summer and tour, a bit of break from the public eye is a must do while W is not the crown prince nor the King.

of course i understand the need to see them more often, even i want to see them badly at State events and when is one approaching, im always secretly hoping to see W and C. but we must understand is not the primary thing they need to do right now, im sure they will have plenty of those to the rest of their lives when the right time arrives.

So William should essentially have 2 full time jobs, SAR pilot and full time working royal? That is asking too much of any person I think. Head up to London to have dinner at BP, zip back to Wales for SAR duty then rush off to....anywhere else open a hospital, shake a few hands, smile for the cameras, zip back to Wales for more SAR duty. Tired, too bad, and so what if your being tired endangers someones life, we need to see you doing walk abouts and getting dressed up and smiling for the cameras every day. So what if we have been told early on that you would not be doing a full schedule of official duties, and that you would be living as an SAR pilot in Wales with your wife. So what if you had a posting in the Falklands, so what if you and your wife have done tours of Canada, LA, Malaysia, Tuvalu, Solomon Islands & Singapore, attended all the major Jubilee events and the Olympic events. Nope not enough. Every moment you are not in an SAR helicopter or on overseas tours, you should be out and about meeting and greeting and smiling for the cameras.:bang:

The Monarchy lives and dies by public opinion and many tabloids like to portray William as the 'reluctant' king in waiting and my fear is that it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Okay fair enough, he is in the RAF until 2013 and can use that as to why he isn't a working royal but if he re-enlists in 2013 many people, monarchists included will question whether his heart is into being a Royal.

The Monarchy lives and dies by public opinion and many tabloids like to portray William as the 'reluctant' king in waiting and my fear is that it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I would expect every heir, expect perhaps the most vain and ambitous, to be reluctant since it basically means that your grandmother and your father both have to die before you are monarch.

I am very happy with the level of official engagements that are currently being carried out by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and see no reason whatsover why the level should increase at the present time. We have the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and we have the next in line to the throne in the form of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. Once Charles becomes king, then William and Catherine will be far more visable and will have far more engagements to carry out. In the meantime, the perception is that William (and of-course Harry too) is doing a proper job in the armed forces of which we are all very proud. I think people in general would prefer him to do this rather than go in for a quick stint just to say he did it and then wear the uniform just for the sake of it! The medals he and Harry wear will be rightly deserved!
William is not a reluctant heir - far from it! He is proud of his country and will do all he can for it. He will not shirk from his destiny and will become an amazing monarch. Yet in his current position he must do what will be most useful in his life, which is to serve his country in the forces.

Does anyone think William will re-enlist in 2013? And if he does , how do you think the media and public will react? Especially because it means Catherine will basically be a home-maker for another 3 years.

The Queen's speech at the Indonesian State Banquet, 31 October 2012:
The Queen's speech at the Indonesian State Banquet, 31 October 2012

The Royal Collection Display for the State Visit:
Indonesian State Visit Display

I am really appreciating these Royal Collections from State Visits being put online on the royal.gov site. It gives one a quick look at the history of the relationship between the countries. the botany, biology, culture, social interest, etc. Some of the items are beautiful and some quite quirky. Love it!

The President & his wife have attended the Lord Mayor's Banquet at the Guildhall. There is a picture on Getty. The Duke of Gloucester was present but Duchess was not. She was not present at the State Banquet yesterday too according to the Court Circular. It's sad :(, hope she is doing well.

I know the photographers try to put the main focus of The Queen and visiting Head of State at these State Banquets but all I'm saying it would be nice to see all the senior members of the royal family who are attending. After all, what's the use of taking your time getting ready, putting all your finest jewels, Orders, etc if your not going to be pictured at your best?

That's why I like the way the other European royal houses handle these great occassions. They not only roll out the red carpet for their guest but they allow their subjects to see these great events.

I think the palace should allow either the BBC, Sky or ITV to broadcast Live Coverage of the arrivals of the dignitaries, guest, Head of State , The Queen and members of the royal family. Show the procession of The Queen & Head of State into the ballroom and the speeches. The rest is pretty private, like the eating of the dinner, etc. I like the access CSPAN.org have to the State Visits at The White House. I think it allows the American citizens to watch our Head of State welcome another Head of State and show us the ties and bond our countries have with each other.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Here is a video of The White House State Dinner honoring Her Majesty The Queen. Hosted by President Bush & Mrs. Bush in 2007:
State Dinner for Queen Elizabeth II - C-SPAN Video Library

I think the palace should allow either the BBC, Sky or ITV to broadcast Live Coverage of the arrivals of the dignitaries, guest, Head of State , The Queen and members of the royal family. Show the procession of The Queen & Head of State into the ballroom and the speeches. The rest is pretty private, like the eating of the dinner, etc.

Do they want to cover it?

I'm not sure the networks would want to give up regular programming for something that (probably) a majority of people in the UK either don't know is happening or really couldn't care less about. While a state visit from the President of the USA or France (provided his wife is a former top catwalk model) might catch the public imagination and garner the attention of the media, the majority of state visits do not. I really can't imagine the networks falling over themselves for access.

Do they want to cover it?

I'm not sure the networks would want to give up regular programming for something that (probably) a majority of people in the UK either don't know is happening or really couldn't care less about. While a state visit from the President of the USA or France (provided his wife is a former top catwalk model) might catch the public imagination and garner the attention of the media, the majority of state visits do not. I really can't imagine the networks falling over themselves for access.

Yes - but I do think the BBC would gladly send a camera to capture it all to post online. Eyes of interest = $$$$

I know the BBC would in a minute. I think the British people should pay attention to these kind of events and what their Soverign is doing. Or else none of this stuff matters and the government and Monarchy should stop putting on these events.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think these events are very important and it highlight the links and bonds our countries have with each other.

Dman said:
I know the BBC would in a minute. I think the British people should pay attention to these kind of events and what their Soverign is doing. Or else none of this stuff matters and the government and Monarchy should stop putting on these events.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think these events are very important and it highlight the links and bonds our countries have with each other.

You're right the BBC would jump at the chance, and the British public would probably enjoy seeing it if the event was publicised. The main issue here is they're not allowed in, look at the coverage we got of William and Catherine's wedding, it was minimal at best. I'm talking after the wedding ceremony itself, obviously. Compared to other family the BRF are closed off technologically to the world.

State visits

If everyone who wants to see more photos, at least, if not film, of the beginning of state banquets were to write to the Press Office at Buckingham Palace, it might perhaps have an impact. Letters are treated far more seriously than emails these days, when emails are so easy to do. I think the Palace does care about what people think, and if they think there is a large constituency out there who are interested, and who might be pleased with a really simple step, then they might perhaps act on it. I shall write. Just a thought!

I am very happy with the level of official engagements that are currently being carried out by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and see no reason whatsover why the level should increase at the present time. We have the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and we have the next in line to the throne in the form of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. Once Charles becomes king, then William and Catherine will be far more visable and will have far more engagements to carry out. In the meantime, the perception is that William (and of-course Harry too) is doing a proper job in the armed forces of which we are all very proud. I think people in general would prefer him to do this rather than go in for a quick stint just to say he did it and then wear the uniform just for the sake of it! The medals he and Harry wear will be rightly deserved!
William is not a reluctant heir - far from it! He is proud of his country and will do all he can for it. He will not shirk from his destiny and will become an amazing monarch. Yet in his current position he must do what will be most useful in his life, which is to serve his country in the forces.

I agree, I don't think the general public in the UK has a strong feeling that they should be doing more at the moment. There are occasional tabloid comments because they want to make money by printing photos of royal occasions! But while William is serving as a pilot, I think people generally feel he is occupying his time well. I don't get a general impression that people here see him as reluctant, either - ever since he's started doing royal duties solo, he has seemed increasingly at ease and more polished in his performance, and I'm quite sure it has been good for him to assume a more high profile role gradually. I'm not sure there would be major disapproval if he decided to stay on for three more years either; especially since it is likely he and Catherine will start a family soon, I think there would be a lot of sympathy for them to do so in a relatively low-key background. I'm quite sure the Royal Family perspective is that he isn't the heir, he is the heir of the heir, so he doesn't need to have a full time presence at the moment (it is just the way the generations have fallen that they are now the glamorous young couple that everyone wants to see, even though they aren't yet the heir and spouse).

I thought there was a rule that the public could not see the BRF eating dinner at events such as these? Do I remember that correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom