The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Serene Highness

I am at a loss to explain why W&C aren't there. Turning a lot of people off , including myself. I had such high hopes for William and Catherine.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Pictures:
The Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's State Visit To The UK - Day One:
Queen Elizabeth II Pictures - The Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's State Visit To The UK - Day One - Zimbio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Here is a lovely photo of HM at the State Visit. Getty also has lots of images now.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/155...5Ysm%2fg%3d%3d
Thank you for all the lovely pictures! Her Majesty looks absolutely gorgeous. That tiara is a stunner. Can't wait to see the ones on the Princess Royal and the Countess of Wessex.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I am at a loss to explain why W&C aren't there. Turning a lot of people off , including myself. I had such high hopes for William and Catherine.
I think it's because they aren't full-time members of the royal family yet, so The Queen's not requesting their presence at these kind of events.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness

I'm getting tired of this 'full-time' royal stuff. W&C are 30 years old and William is 2nd in line to the throne. This only reinforces William's public perception as a reluctant king in waiting.

Starting to turn off these two.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think it's because they aren't full-time members of the royal family yet, so The Queen's not requesting their presence at these kind of events.
I doubt it's because they're not full time working members, if they expressed an interest in being a part of this state visit they would have been allowed. They met the Obama's last year I believe.

They are simply not there because they do not wish to be, they pick and choose their events at will and on occasion it is to fit around William's work scheduele. I imagine they're at home in Wales having a nice cosy evening in after William's day at work. I never had any doubt that they wouldn't show.

Quote:
I'm getting tired of this 'full-time' royal stuff. W&C are 30 years old and William is 2nd in line to the throne. This only reinforces William's public perception as a reluctant king in waiting.

Whilst I agree that William or at least Catherine should show their faces a bit, it isn't doing a great deal to damage their image with the general public in the UK. Catherine is getting the flack a bit, but nobody minds William doing what he does. I'm sure plenty of people would shout for joy if Charles skipped what he earnt for his son. You get the 'always on holiday' comments and the 'waste of taxpayer's' money stuff but that comes around every time.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wish we had more images, I want to see all the Tiara's! If Camilla isn't there, does it mean Sophie is the "2nd lady of the land" for the evening? I can see the Wessex duo in the background of the images.

I love the Royal men and their tails. They always looks handsome.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Well, I would find that weird if William & Catherine decided they just don't want to attend the State Visit Banquets. That's part of their royal role and helping The Queen fly the flag for Great Britian.

I think it was said the reason why they have yet to attend a State Banquet because they aren't full-time royals and that's one of the reasons why they didn't attend the Obama State Banquet. I think this is the reason BBC News royal correspondent Peter Hunt had menioned at the time.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Duke-of-Earl, I know it's a frustrating but it's one of the reasons why I'm hoping the Cambridges will become full-time royals by next year. It was said that it should be announced sometime late this year on what they will do. Stay in the military or become full-time working royals. Then I guess we weill see them attend these kind of events and others.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

Then become full-time royals, because W&C are turning me off and I am one of their biggest supporters.

William at 30 should be attending these events. With the ages of the Windsors, W&C could be in their 40s before we see them.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Majesty

I'm one of their big supporters too.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Then become full-time royals, because W&C are turning me off and I am one of their biggest supporters.

William at 30 should be attending these events. With the ages of the Windsors, W&C could be in their 40s before we see them.
I wonder how much say Her Majesty has in who gets to attend these Banquets and who doesn't. She may feel that it's not necessary to have the Cambridges there for one reason or another, or maybe, no one wants the focus to be on what Catherine chose to wear this evening, and how her hair looked. I know that she doesn't go around asking for this attention, but the press certainly fixates on her choices of attire and what have you. It won't be fair to the visiting dignitaries, because the focus needs to be on them, and on the visit, and not on the Duchess's wardrobe choices. This being said, I'd love to see them out and about a little more often, but I don't blame them for wanting to be out of the limelight for just a little bit longer.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not sure it is such a big deal that W&C are not there. The monarch, her husband, her daughter, 2 sons, a daughter in law and a couple of cousins are there in all their finery. That should suffice for an event that is not a public occassion and for which we rarely see many pics other than HM and Philip with the visiting head of state. W&C have a lifetime ahead of them that will be filled with such events, missing a few nowadays won't kill anyone.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I wish we had more images, I want to see all the Tiara's! If Camilla isn't there, does it mean Sophie is the "2nd lady of the land" for the evening? I can see the Wessex duo in the background of the images.

I love the Royal men and their tails. They always looks handsome.
It's not always the case. With the Duchess of Cornwall not present tonight, I also had a thought that the Countess of Wessex would be sitting right next to the President, however, it was the Princess Royal while the Countess sat on the side tables. I got access to HQ images and apparently it looked like the Countess wore the aquamarine tiara from the Luxembourg wedding again, but i'm unfortunately not an expert on this area though.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Courtier

It's about time that William, Catherine, Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie attended these State Banquets. A room full of the "older" royals -- and, by the way, may I mention are cousins of the Queen not grandchildren -- no longer cuts it. It's OK that they attend, but we really need to see the "younger" generation step up.

And, another thing --- I hate to break it to the Andrew haters -- his daughters are princesses-of-the-blood and have every right to be there!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII View Post
It's not always the case. With the Duchess of Cornwall not present tonight, I also had a thought that the Countess of Wessex would be sitting right next to the President, however, it was the Princess Royal while the Countess sat on the side tables. I got access to HQ images and apparently it looked like the Countess wore the aquamarine tiara from the Luxembourg wedding again, but i'm unfortunately not an expert on this area though.
I imagine it's perhaps one of those times when the Queen chooses the precedence. HQ images? You're lucky! Nice to see Sophie wearing the other tiara now, it was beautiful.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav
It's about time that William, Catherine, Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie attended these State Banquets. A room full of the "older" royals -- and, by the way, may I mention are cousins of the Queen not grandchildren -- no longer cuts it. It's OK that they attend, but we really need to see the "younger" generation step up.

And, another thing --- I hate to break it to the Andrew haters -- his daughters are princesses-of-the-blood and have every right to be there!
I'll bet a fiver that we never see Beatrice and Eugenie at a state banquet. They don't have the 'right' to be there. They can be there if they like but in all honesty with the hoo-ha around them it'll just create fuss.
I think you'll find Henry somewhat occupied at the minute.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I have , 1stly, a question - does anyone one know the order that the Queen's sash of gold/red (?) represent?

2ndly: Regarding William and Catherine. I think that if the Queen required their presence, she would request it. It is NOT for William and Catherine to decide which events they attend or not. We need to take into account seniority of decision-making.

The priority for the Cambridges is William's work in Anglesey - you may not agree/like/whatever - but HMQ and the PoW do approve it. So that is how it is.
Using their non-appearance to underpin a dislike of one or both of this couple is ridiculous as long as HMQ and PoW are content.

I'm not an expert but I think it is unlikely that Catherine will ever make an appearance at a formal state occasion such as this without William.

Fundamentally - these decisions are determined by the Queen and blaming William and Catherine is unfair, IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I am not sure it is such a big deal that W&C are not there. The monarch, her husband, her daughter, 2 sons, a daughter in law and a couple of cousins are there in all their finery. That should suffice for an event that is not a public occassion and for which we rarely see many pics other than HM and Philip with the visiting head of state. W&C have a lifetime ahead of them that will be filled with such events, missing a few nowadays won't kill anyone.
But to the public, perception is everything. The subtleties of protocol is lost on them. Their perception of W&C, is they would rather be home eating pizza ans playing with their ipads, and that doesn't bode well for the future of the monarchy.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
HQ images? You're lucky! Nice to see Sophie wearing the other tiara now, it was beautiful.
I'd love to see those images. Would love to know which tiara Sophie wore this evening.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Majesty

The royals don't skip official events because they are worried about who the media will pay attention to. If that was the case, we would've never seen Diana attend offical and State events back in the day, or we would have never seen the yound Princess Elizabeth attend official events with the King & Queen. If the Cambridges were due to attend this State Banquet, they would''ve been there. Attending these kind of events is part of their official role as future heads of state, regardless who the media focus on.

The Queen is the host of these events and she has the say on who will attend with the family. Those who do attend are full-time working members of the royal family. The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, The Earl & Countess of Wessex, The Duke of York, The Princess Royal/husband, The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester and The Kents. The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry are senior royals but their not full-time working royals and don't attend these events.

Tags
indonesia, queen, united kingdom, yudhoyono