State Visit from the President of Colombia: November 1-3, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-president-republic-colombia
The President of the Republic of Colombia, His Excellency President Juan Manuel Santos Calderón, accompanied by Mrs María Clemencia Rodríguez de Santos, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 1st to 3rd November 2016.

The President and Mrs Santos will stay at Buckingham Palace.

Looking forward to this visit.

I think it's a bit odd that the couple are staying in Buckingham Palace rather than Windsor. Let's hope the roof doesn't begin to leak or a clump of masonry decide to fall at any time.

Just of all the places to send a state visit invite too Columbia wouldn't be at the forefront of my mind.

In 2014 Charles and Camilla visited Colombia along with Mexico. Since then Mexico has enjoyed a State Visit to the UK so I suppose it does make sense for Colombia to be given the same privilege.

It is also the first State Visit by Colombia to the UK during the Queen's reign (Mexico has had four).

It is also one of the few countries that the Queen hasn't visited on a State Visit.

State Visit from Colombia to the United Kingdom: November 1-3, 2016

China, Ireland, Mexico, Singapore all had Royal visits to and then got inbound UK visits. The cartels losing control of Colombia is a relatively recent thing so it's isn't shocking that they haven't visited before or had the Queen go there and a great reason to have them come now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think it's a bit odd that the couple are staying in Buckingham Palace rather than Windsor. Let's hope the roof doesn't begin to leak or a clump of masonry decide to fall at any time.

Autumn state visits are usually at BP, whilst spring ones could be at either. No set rules, but that is how they have tended to be.

Should be nice to see Charles and Camilla and the Cambridge's participate in this State Visit.

Should be nice to see Charles and Camilla and the Cambridge's participate in this State Visit.

Methinks it will be either C&C or the Cambridge's, not both. Seems like a waste of time for both to be there in a supporting role.

Methinks it will be either C&C or the Cambridge's, not both. Seems like a waste of time for both to be there in a supporting role.

i tend to agree, i would expect to see charles and camilla this time, particularly at the state banquet, but maybe the cambridges will accompany the guests during a day visit of some sort. the cambridges made an appearance during the chinese state visit, but one has to admit that UK interest in china is a lot larger than in colombia. (although i hope i am wrong so that we can see kate in gala attire again!)

State Visits have multiple royals involved. China had the Cambridges, Wessexes, DoY, Princess Royal, Gloucesters, DoK and Princess Alexandra if I recall correctly.

i tend to agree, i would expect to see charles and camilla this time, particularly at the state banquet, but maybe the cambridges will accompany the guests during a day visit of some sort. the cambridges made an appearance during the chinese state visit, but one has to admit that UK interest in china is a lot larger than in colombia. (although i hope i am wrong so that we can see kate in gala attire again!)

Are you suggesting that where the UK has greater interests, the Cambridge's should be involved, and otherwise, the next King and Queen?

State Visits have multiple royals involved. China had the Cambridges, Wessexes, DoY, Princess Royal, Gloucesters, DoK and Princess Alexandra if I recall correctly.

Indeed. However, the " lead supporting" role is played by one couple only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, there is room for both couples to attend the State Banquet. Now, it may be Charles and Camilla at the welcoming ceremony, but both couples can attend the banquet. Don't forget that the Cambridge's now attend State events. Also, multiple royal couples attend these banquets. It's not an either/or situation.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that where the UK has greater interests, the Cambridge's should be involved, and otherwise, the next King and Queen?

not at all. the chinese visit had both C+C and W+K involved. that's all i meant.

Many years ago, several royals used to be involved in the welcoming ceremony. One just to look back at the older State Visits of the 80's, 70's, 60's and on back. It's William and Catherine's place to attend. Charles just skipped the diplomatic Chinese State Banquet because he chose to.

The 3 last state visits took place at Buckingham Palace, so it's not odd that they are staying there rather than Windsor. And I don't think you should worry about the roof or anything else because the Royal Household has already spent millions on urgent repairs in recent years, removing asbestos and replacing roofing.

I'm also sure that the issue in the State Dining Room will be resolved by November, and don't think the President or anyone else is in danger at the Palace.

I would love to see William and Catherine attend because in my world view the more tiaras the better and if the Cambridges are there it'll get more coverage and hence there's a better chance to see all the tiaras than if it's 'just' Charles and Camilla there. But, I'm thinking it may be Charles and Camilla plus Prince Harry.
Harry will be expected to attend many of these state dinners going forward much as his Uncles and Aunts and the Queen's cousins do now, since W & C have attended it seems to me that it's time to add Harry to the mix, IMO.

Very cool! When is that visit again?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

1st-3rd of November and being hosted at Buckingham Palace.

1st-3rd of November and being hosted at Buckingham Palace.

Excellent. Hoping for some good tiaras

Excellent. Hoping for some good tiaras

Should be a nice turn out for this state event. Next State event after that is in Dec for the Diplomatic Corps Reception.

It's usually the first evening of the state visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom