State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a saying in the military, you salute the rank, not the individual.

Same goes for a state visit. The democratically elected president of the UK's greatest ally should get the royal treatment.

The Sultan of Brunei can walk through London with his head held high and he stones people to death, yet people get in a tizzy over Trump.

Let's keep the politics out of the thread so it doesn't get locked.

I expect Melania to be dressed beautifully for the state banquet but I do not expect her to wear a tiara. Its not something that is commonplace these days in American formal wear as much as it is in British white tie affairs.

In fact, I would think it quite odd if Melania were to dress up in a lot of bling with a tiara. It just doesn't seem to suit her style. When it comes to jewelry, it seems that what she wears is more along the lines of Meghan's and is discreet and minimalistic yet stunning and never overpowering.

That's my take on it at least. I could be wrong and she'll drip in diamonds worthy of competing with the Cullinan pieces in the royal vault. :D

I'm sure melania has a very expensive jewel collection , hope she use somme in this visit

Melania wore a large necklace on her wedding day. I haven't found a good photo of it yet, perhaps she could wear that.
Also The Grand Duchess Vladimirs75 carat Emerald is up for auction next month. It is now set in a substantial diamond necklace.
It has a provenance dating back to Catherine The Great and was once owned by JD Rockefella jnr. So there is an American provenance to it. Estimate is between $2 - 3.5 million. This emerald being such a historic piece will always be an investment piece.
You can see it over on royal jewels of the world message board. Or rjwmb for short.

I expect The Queen, Charles and Camilla, William and Catherine, Harry, Andrew, Edward and Sofie, Anne and Tim to be present. Likely also The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester unless they have engagements far from London.
And i'm sure Princess Michael of Kent don't want to miss this :-D

I am expecting some serious bling for this state banquet!

But as I've said before, I really hope we get to see some pieces from the vault that haven't surfaced in years.

If Eugenie attends, perhaps she'll wear that lovely tiara she wore for her wedding.

I hope Meghan can make it. I'd love to see her cupcaked up and bejeweled.

Probably most of us have had to sit down with people we do not like for the sake of appearances. I'm sure Meghan could get through a state dinner without incident and keep her shade-throwing skills in check.

Dear Leader will probably gush on Twitter about getting the royal treatment.

Since Buckingham Palace has announced that Trump will NOT be invited to stay in the Belgian Suite as per previous US presidents due to "renovation work", where will he be bunking?

The U.S. Ambassador's residence?

Since Buckingham Palace has announced that Trump will NOT be invited to stay in the Belgian Suite as per previous US presidents due to "renovation work", where will he be bunking?

That's right. The President will probably stay at Winfield House, the home of the US Ambassador.

Probably at the Ambassador's Residence or at the Guest Suite at Windsor Castle.

I would expect Meghan to attend if she's able for several reasons.

1. She studied International Relations and was an attache. She would know that although you may have personal opinions about a government official, you keep your mouth shut and get on with the job. All of us in the corp service have had to sit down and have talks with mass murderers, human rights violators, dictators, warlords, etc. The stories that I can relay would be shocking.

2. Trooping will be a few days after this, and if she shows up there but not at the State Dinner, she would be mercilessly crucified. Now if she's not at Trooping, the same excuse of being on maternity leave will stand and no one will blame her.

3. It would be a little over 1 month since she would give birth. I'm sure she could get up and out for a few hours.

4. Personally, I want her to show up and show out, however, I will not blame her if she misses it due to maternity leave (as long as she's also for the next month from public, or else yes, people will judge).

I would like to see Sophie in a different loaner tiara from HM and I too would like to see the York princesses there.

Melania wore a wonderful pale yellow gown on her last visit to the UK---so I am really looking forward to see what she chooses for a State dinner with the Queen. I know this is not the fashion thread but it's where my mind goes!

Also looking forward to some USA-UK pomp and circumstance at various points during the visit. Our relationship is an important, historic one.

1. She studied International Relations and was an attache. She would know that although you may have personal opinions about a government official, you keep your mouth shut and get on with the job. All of us in the corp service have had to sit down and have talks with mass murderers, human rights violators, dictators, warlords, etc. The stories that I can relay would be shocking.

2. Trooping will be a few days after this, and if she shows up there but not at the State Dinner, she would be mercilessly crucified. Now if she's not at Trooping, the same excuse of being on maternity leave will stand and no one will blame her.

3. It would be a little over 1 month since she would give birth. I'm sure she could get up and out for a few hours.

4. Personally, I want her to show up and show out, however, I will not blame her if she misses it due to maternity leave (as long as she's also for the next month from public, or else yes, people will judge).

I still think the chances of her attending the state dinner is slim. It's one thing to attend Trooping with a carriage ride and then balcony appearance mostly just family around. She can sit down and relax if she needs a break in between. And does anyone really want to go all full on dressed with tiaras and gowns and all that a month after birth? I have no doubt she'll be judge for it, but it's not like she won't be otherwise.

As for this visit, do we expect a carriage ride procession down the Mall?

Secret Service don't allow the carriage ride because of security.

But this is a State Visit with all the bells and whistles.

This is very exciting since I have been hoping for this visit. I hope our First Lady brings it with the jewels. As rich as President Trump is, I imagine he has given her some serious jewelry over the years.

There's a saying in the military, you salute the rank, not the individual.

Same goes for a state visit. The democratically elected president of the UK's greatest ally should get the royal treatment.

The Sultan of Brunei can walk through London with his head held high and he stones people to death, yet people get in a tizzy over Trump.

Let's keep the politics out of the thread so it doesn't get locked.

I totally agree!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As for this visit, do we expect a carriage ride procession down the Mall?

Hopefully not for security reasons. Regardless of our personal opinions of this President, we shouldn't be naive. The will be A LOT of protests in London during these days...

I would like to see Sophie in a different loaner tiara from HM and I too would like to see the York princesses there.

I hope EVERYONE wears a different tiara!
I'm tired of seeing Catherine in the Lover's Knot, or Camilla in the Greville.

There are so many in the vaults that are seldom seen; why stick to the same ones every time?

I hope EVERYONE wears a different tiara!
I'm tired of seeing Catherine in the Lover's Knot, or Camilla in the Greville.

There are so many in the vaults that are seldom seen; why stick to the same ones every time?

I want Camilla to wear the Delhi Durbar Tiara. It looks fantastic on her.

I want Camilla to wear the Delhi Durbar Tiara. It looks fantastic on her.

It does indeed, but I somehow doubt she would wear it. This is a somewhat tricky state visit, and the tiara would draw an awful lot of unwanted attention to her, which I don't think she would like.

I don't expect Meghan to attend as she is on maternity leave.

Whilst on the issue of why Meghan might attend, Meghan's qualification to attend comes from her marriage to Harry. That is quite enough, IMO. I don't believe her brief internship in a foreign embassy or studying international relations at university necessarily do the job.

Secret Service don't allow the carriage ride because of security.

But this is a State Visit with all the bells and whistles.

Quite right, but as with the Obama state visit in 2011, the bells and whistles may well be within the confines of the gardens at BP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully not for security reasons. Regardless of our personal opinions of this President, we shouldn't be naive. The will be A LOT of protests in London during these days...
Could they not use closed carriages? Perhaps it would have been better to make this a State Visit that takes place at Windsor. No Problem with Guestsuites also.

Quite right, but as with the Obama state visit in 2011, the bells and whistles may well be within the confines of the gardens at BP!

This is true. They're not going to take any unwarranted risks to security for this visit. It'll be a visit worthy of the President of the United States though and it doesn't matter just who is the president at this time. ?

Could they not use closed carriages? Perhaps it would have been better to make this a State Visit that takes place at Windsor. No Problem with Guestsuites also.

My guess is that the Household Cavalry will be in London for the Trooping shortly after the state visit, and it was inconvenient to move them.

Also, HM met with POTUS at Windsor last year, and he probably wants to get to visit BP, renovations notwithstanding.

Although Meghan may still be on maternity leave, I am anticipating an All Hands on Deck! attitude for everyone else.

I think the RF will turn out in force, and I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan does attend.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan was there either. She may feel she needs a "night out" and a break from baby care by the time the state visit happens. It'll all depend on how she feels at the time. I don't think personal feelings towards the visiting President and his wife will figure into it at all.

Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn has declined his invitation to the state dinner for President Trump.

He says he’d welcome a meeting with POTUS, but does not think we should be rolling out the red carpet.

Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn has declined his invitation to the state dinner for President Trump.

He says he’d welcome a meeting with POTUS, but does not think we should be rolling out the red carpet.

Oh dear, the Rt Hon Leader of HM's Opposition just does not seem to understand that the invitation is to the Head of State of one of our closest allies, as opposed to the Donald per se.

It has been widely reported that the President wanted the carriage ride and the whole nine yards. I think it would be better to keep it relatively low key, as it will probably be disruptive to the natives.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan was there either. She may feel she needs a "night out" and a break from baby care by the time the state visit happens. It'll all depend on how she feels at the time. I don't think personal feelings towards the visiting President and his wife will figure into it at all.

A night out and a state dinner is very different. A relaxed date night with your husband isn't the same as putting on a tiara and getting fully done up for a state occasion. The only way I see her attending is if she's required, and I don't see that right now.

Oh dear, the Rt Hon Leader of HM's Opposition just does not seem to understand that the invitation is to the Head of State of one of our closest allies, as opposed to the Donald per se.

IMO, I think the Opposition Leader should attend the dinner in a show of the United Kingdom. It is a State Visit.

As to the part which I bolded; By the way, HM is the Head of State, but not the Head of Government. The Prime Minister is the Head of Government, Opposition is to the Government, not to HM as Head of State.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom