State Visit from the President of the United States: May 24-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lumutqueen said:
His Palace of Westminster speech is certainly...interesting.

What do you mean?
Haven't heard the speech yet.

Zonk said:
I love the video of the VIP guests arriving and waiting in the ballroom for the banquet to arrive. Its on the BBC site....its must have been the first time for some of the attendees...they are just looking around in awe. I must admit...I would have done the same.

Is there a particular link?
I'd love to see the video.

Last edited:
I thought we weren't allowed to discuss politics. Oh well, I thought everyone looked lovely at the banquet. Yes, there were some miss steps by my President. But I'm not by any means "ashamed" or embarrassed by some of the faux pas. Like when former President Bush said her majesty was born in the 1800's. It was a silly mistake and shouldn't be the basis if "shame".

^ I agree. I initially thought the band had it wrong, but after reading later posts, I see that the faux pas was on Obama. So while he did make some mistakes, I'm not ashamed of him -just like I wasn’t ashamed of Bush when he made his mistakes during the Queen's visit.

Are you related to this guy?
Now that's a stupid question.

Last edited:
Imo, The Duchess of Cornwall yet again 'frumped' it up. That dress is entirely unworkable with her body shape and is too robust which weighs her down and indicates just how problematic and unflattering her hunched shoulders are. And the hair?!! I know it is never likely change but it damn well should and she always wears the same drab (however expensive) diamond necklace and earrings which are in themselves, a terrible design I think.

Anyone would think it would near kill her to 'live a little' and dare to wear other items of jewellery for a change.

Get a decent, more flattering and dare I suggest contemporary hairstyle, wear evening gowns that suit or work with your body shape and not against it and try outing one or two pieces of jewellery you have at your disposal.

For me, Camilla can become so incredibly predictable and stale at times.

Her day attire for the arrival and at Buckingham Palace was quite flattering and that hat is superbly fashioned for her height and build and really balances her out. She looked wonderful, but when night falls...

The fact i love with the DOC is that she'is pragmatical. She's not (and wasn't and will not be) some kind of fashion horse. Her look is always appropriate for the occasion, repetitive sometimes, dowdy time to time, elegant often and spectacular by chance.
I guessed without any doubt her outfit and jewels for the banquet. The same and practical Farrah do (forever and ever), same diamond demi parure (a gift from Charles, somptuous enough to figure in a state banquet), the last dress worn during an official event (the blue Bruce Odfield one last seen in Spain), her family order and her now signature tiara : the honeycomb. In final here we are: ready and appropriate to go to buck house for the american bash.
She's predictable because she obviously doesn't care about it. A shame for sure because she can often do so much better but it's her down to earth personnality and a great part of her charm :flowers:

The speech for me personally was boring, it was the same old discussion about the friendship our two countries supposedly have, there was something about a White House fire and how we should always work closely together. When I heard about this visit - I presumed there would be at least some sign of something important being discussed between BO and DC but I think i'm wrong.

Sorry but the honeycomb is far from what I would call a beautiful piece and that's me being nice! argh
Camila's dress is not that bad. it needed more structure, definitely. I prefer her in her tailored suits. :)

Last edited:
Will there be another dinner tonight? when the King and Queen of Norway visited a few years ago, with the crown princely couple, there were 2 state dinners, the second one being led by the Duke and Duchess of G, being the senior royals.

From a psychological standpoint, those photos of Kate and MO are very telling. Kate is making the classic gestures that say "I don't want to be here."

That was my impression as well. And it's understandible. The last thing William and Catherine want is upstage the queen and Charles but that would have happened if they were part of the whole spectacle including official welcome and State Banquet. So I guess they didn't want to be part of that visit at all. But as the guests insisted, they had to be there to become part of a kind of "promo"-pics of the Obamas with the new glamour couple of Royality.

You could see in some details that the BRF was not happy about the whole thing: the meeting took place in a lounge which obviously is meant to be sitten in, not standing in the middle of a seating arrangement. So the whole impression was that of a hasty conversation: no refreshments, no intimate atmosphere, none of them obviously at home there with Catherine clutching her handbag and the Obamas being the guests.

So for me the impression was that this talk was not wanted by the BRF but the queen couldn't deny it to her guests.

Obama made a lot of mistakes.
He raised his glass before the Queen and he spoke while the anthem was playing! How embarrassing..but the Queen took it well it seems. I thought she would say off with his head!

Did anyone know, if there will be a live broadcast from the tonight state dinner?

Obama made a lot of mistakes.
He raised his glass before the Queen and he spoke while the anthem was playing! How embarrassing..but the Queen took it well it seems. I thought she would say off with his head!
What was Her Majesty supposed to do? Given all the faux pas listed by Zonk, Presidents of USA seem to creatively interpret the protocol rules.

Last edited:
What was Her Majesty supposed to do? Given all the faux pas listed by Zonk, Presidents of USA seem to creatively interpret the protocol rules.

Actually, that wasn't all of them. I searched via the Internet, and Grover Cleveland also had a faux pas with Queen Victoria:flowers:

Most likey the Queen is like.....:lol: Behind closed doors of course.

I brought up the examples to show that despite the best efforts of our Protocol office (who I am sure gets their information from their British counterparts), people are human and make mistakes. Its not deliberate, its not the end of the world, and as evidenced by some of the other examples that people brought up (I totally forgot about Reagan calling Diana Princess David...I don't think he was being malicious) people move on and totally forget them.

Until the next one happens, and then we are writing up lists.

Last edited:
The speech for me personally was boring, it was the same old discussion about the friendship our two countries supposedly have, there was something about a White House fire and how we should always work closely together. When I heard about this visit - I presumed there would be at least some sign of something important being discussed between BO and DC but I think i'm wrong.

The President referenced the War of 1812...where the Brits set fire to the White House??!:ohmy:

Please tell me I misunderstood...

That was my impression as well. And it's understandible. The last thing William and Catherine want is upstage the queen and Charles but that would have happened if they were part of the whole spectacle including official welcome and State Banquet. So I guess they didn't want to be part of that visit at all. But as the guests insisted, they had to be there to become part of a kind of "promo"-pics of the Obamas with the new glamour couple of Royality.

You could see in some details that the BRF was not happy about the whole thing: the meeting took place in a lounge which obviously is meant to be sitten in, not standing in the middle of a seating arrangement. So the whole impression was that of a hasty conversation: no refreshments, no intimate atmosphere, none of them obviously at home there with Catherine clutching her handbag and the Obamas being the guests.

So for me the impression was that this talk was not wanted by the BRF but the queen couldn't deny it to her guests.

Oh my, how we can conjure up the feelings of others. And where ever did you get the idea that all these encounters were NOT wanted OR where even requested? Politics really do not belong on a non political forum and yet some people seem to not be able to post without somehow getting in their little personal jabs which are clearly based on their own political opinions. This should really stop as it makes for very unpleasant reading for those of us who do not wish to engage in that kind of nonsense. Politics do not belong here regardless of how they might be "camoflauged".

I'm sorry but if anyone suggested the visit it was the BRF or the British side. Wasn't this arranged after the whole royal wedding invites?! President Obama has a lot in his plate right now and then.

It' clear that political point of views will influenced some opinions. But we must not get too carried away.

Last edited:
The President referenced the War of 1812...where the Brits set fire to the White House??!:ohmy:

Yes, he was joking about the fact that the UK-US "special relationship" didn't get off to such a great start, what with the revolution and when the British troops set fire to the White House during the War of 1812. It was done in a lighthearted fashion.

Okay...as long as it was done as a joke.

Thanks Isabella!

Nope, its true. The US and the British were fighting. British invaded DC and set fire to the White House in retaliation for the Americans buring the Parliament building in Canada. Dolley Madison rolled up the picture of George Washington and rolled out:ROFLMAO: In fact, a large portion of the house had to be rebuilt, and a lot was added to it.

You should check out War of 1812 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

But all is well...we are "special friends" now. And I think Isabella means the joke was in light hearted fashion not the burnings of both houses.

Nope, its true. The US and the British were fighting. British invaded DC and set fire to the White House in retaliation for the Americans buring the Parliament building in Canada. Dolley Madison rolled up the picture of George Washington and rolled out:ROFLMAO: In fact, a large portion of the house had to be rebuilt, and a lot was added to it.

But all is well...we are "special friends" now. And I think Isabella means the joke was in light hearted fashion not the burnings of both houses.

Oh yes, of course! Haha, I should have phrased that better.

Oh yes thanks Zonk...I am a history fanatic and I know all about the WH fire set by British troops, and our plucky Dolley Madison saving the treasures...I am just nervous about the President attempting humor here as it could go over very badly considering how clumsy he can be at times.

Strange, for such an elegant and thoughtful man as President Obama putting his foot in it as often as he seems to....

^ I agree. I initially thought the band had it wrong, but after reading later posts, I see that the faux pas was on Obama. So while he did make some mistakes, I'm not ashamed of him -just like I wasn’t ashamed of Bush when he made his mistakes during the Queen's visit.

Now that's a stupid question.

What is stupid about it?

Enough.

As stated in a previous thread, there are plenty of other forums and threads where people can spout their blue and red political opinions until the cows come home.

Making disparaging and snide comments (or inferences) about the President of the United States (from Americans no less----talk about embarassing!) is not cute and will not be tolerated whether the President is George Bush or Barack Obama.

Any and all additional posts that continue in that vein will be deleted without notice.

Any questions about this should be directed towards the moderation team via PM, because anything posted in the threads will be deleted.

I apologize for this curt response, but REALLY!

Last edited:
Does anyone know who was the lady sitting right beside Prince Andrew?

I always feel bad that Andrew, the DoK and Princess Alexandra have to do these events without a partner. I mean, its not like they don't know people at these dinners and so on, and they are with their families.

Don't know why but I do.

I always feel bad that Andrew, the DoK and Princess Alexandra have to do these events without a partner. I mean, its not like they don't know people at these dinners and so on, and they are with their families.

Don't know why but I do.

I often think that at other occasions too, such as Easter and weddings etc. Andrew must feel a bit put out that Edward and Sophie have to attend foreign Royal weddings to represent Britain as they are the next couple in the line of presidence, as you can't "really" send an unmarried member, unless you're Charles of course! However, at occasions like this husbands and wives don't sit together anyhow so...but it must be hard, seeing your siblings and relations in happy marriages (albeit second marriages for two of his siblings).

Obama made a greater faux pas than those mentioned! He addressed the Queen as 'you' throughout his speech. Even Prince Charles addresses his mother in the third person in public! Who wrote that speech?!?

as you can't "really" send an unmarried member

Of course you can. Andrew attended the King of Thailand's Diamond Jubilee on behalf of his mother in 2007. It's just that Edward and Sophie seem to be the one's who work the Continental circuit for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom