State Visit from the President of the United States: May 24-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!

But why? Yes, he did not address the guests correct, but the fact the band started playing while he was still talking wasn't too nice either. It was their mistake, not his, I am certain they knew (heard, maybe?) he wasn't done. I would assume it was their job to wait until he was done with his speech, then to start the Anthem.

All the royal ladies look beautiful this evening. So classy, so elegant, so just....well, they know how to do it right, modest, kind, self-depreciating, and very neutral. You fine people of Great Britain are so lucky to have her as Queen. I am quite envious.

Could not have said it better. Her Majesty has such a great deal of class and energy, that it makes me feel a little embarrassed to admit that I get tired after dealing with children for six hours (I'm only thirty). This woman is doing more public engagements than days of the year, and is still able to wear heals (and look wonderful at a state function). Yeah, I hope that when I'm her age, I'll still be able to stand upright without assistance.

Hats off to Queen Elizabeth II.

Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!

That's just shameful. One would think the man would be knowledgable when it came to proper way of making a speech at a state function. No wonder so many in the world see Americans as uncultured and ill mannered.

His speech was fine. The band started playing before he finished, so that is why he continued speaking. And can we please not make generalizations about Americans.

What is so shameful? he made a mistake about addressing the people and the band made a mistake by starting to play when he was not finished with his speech, they are all human things like this are going to happen it wasn't a hugh deal. I think that anyone who had followed Barack Obama knows that the man can make a good speech. No need to hand in you citizenship, it was a simple mistake.

So now we are talking about the fact that Catherine came back from her honeymoon with a tan! Ok.

I'm sure all the real concerns are in the right place :whistling:

President Obama has a nice voice and his speech is even better. As someone living outside of the US I can say that, here and thanks primarily lot to him the US image has changed a huge deal. In a big and positive way. I liked how he acknowledged QEII importance to Britain and the world.

Last edited:
I loved Obama's speech and he is one of the worlds best speakers at the moment. His voice is just perfect for it. I personally like that the band started playing the anthem early, it added a very welcome theatrical vibe to the state banquet. It was so dramatic!

He should know that as soon as he has offered the toast the speech is finished and that is when the band starts - lack of knowledge of protocol on the part of the US President - sorry not the band's fault but his - for not knowing how a speech should be constructed - proper introductions to people, say what you want to say and then toast the host - end of speech as the toast is the signal for the band to play the National Anthem.

Sorry Americans but your president let you down on this matter.

jonc93 said:

There's no need to be ashamed. I think it was the band's fault rather than his and it would have been more awkward if he stopped. As for addressing the dignitaries, the Queen was his host and he was speaking directly to her in the beginning and then addressed the room as a whole.

I'm just glad he didn't wink at her and Michelle didn't get in trouble for touching anyone.

I have no idea what proper protocol is in the UK, but President Obama's heart was obviously in the right place and I doubt anyone took offense. Thankfully, the Queen isn't a snob.

Michelle and Kate both looked lovely. I particularly liked Michelle's evening gown. Gorgeous.

@ Scarebaby-

At White tie affairs any married woman may wear a tiara i believe.

Fascinating to know! I was under the mistaken impression that if you weren't royalty, you didn't wear tiaras in the queen's presence. Thank you! :)

I have no idea what proper protocol is in the UK, but President Obama's heart was obviously in the right place and I doubt anyone took offense. Thankfully, the Queen isn't a snob.

Preach! :flowers:

So Catherine came back tanned from her Honeymoon and this is something to be upset about? Hate to break it to some of you, but you *can* wear the highest SPF lotion and still get tanned when you're out and about these days. So long as you're smart about it and doing all you can to keep the damage to the least bit you can, then it's not as big a deal as going unprotected. Especially in this World of ours where our own stupidity has damaged our best protection against the Sun and that's the Ozone Layer.

And before anyone jumps on me for that up there, that's pretty much a word for word quote from my Dermatologist when I talked to her a month ago. As I'm on Predinsone for my Transplant, I need to really watch it when out in the Sun, but I get a tan regardless even when I'm wearing SPF 30, so I asked. As I'm not doing it every day and taking the proper precautions, then...

As I'm sure Catherine did, not to mention William and even though they're tanned, it's that healthy tan glow you get due to taking precautions. Not that dark baked on the beach look. Now if they'd looked like *that*, then I'd understand the reaction.

Both couples looked to be enjoying their chat immensely and I loved Catherine's dress. Lovely look and cut as well.

While Michelle's outfit this afternoon was a miss, that Evening Gown tonigh was a WOW!! She looked gorgeous. So did Camilla I'm surprised to say, as I usually am underwhelmed by her usual evening looks. This though...It really suits her.

I just wish we had pictures of Sophie and Anne. Before anyone says it, I'm on Dial Up due to being in the middle of nowhere Rural Canada, so please don't tell me to go and watch the coverage available at the BBC. My computer just can't handle it sadly.

Pity Kristin Chenoweth was asked to sing (Yes, I know that doesn't happen at British State Dinners). She's got such a stunningly beautiful voice. Is she doing a show in the West End right now? As I'm assuming Americans living/working in London who are prominent were invited, right?

A journalist continue to call Duchess of Cambridge "Kate Middleton"

And the Queen is in the spot dress.

State visits are great but is there a point to this visit? It's seemed rather vague to me...

Thankfully, the Queen isn't a snob.

I agree. Unlike some avid royal watchers hey...haha. ;)

Last edited:
I think the point to this visit is to shrug off "the special relationship" title.
This is the state visit of the United States president and people are talking about sunburn.

Last edited:
The DOC had the great idea to wear her most flattering evening dress so far (first seen in Spain some weeks ago). The Honeycomb is definitively her signature tiara...
Seen Anne with the Greek Key and Sophie with her wedding tiara...

On a side note it's me or there was a little "faux pas" from the President with his toast during the "God save the Queen"?

From the states We are sorry for the faux pas. But In short it did add a little more poetry to the toast even making me a little teary. To hear the words from Wm. Shakespeare set with God Save The Queen... it was both the President's and the bands fault but in the long run it worked out... it was as if it were written in a movie... and as for the glass in the States that is how we toast. Hold the glass say your piece music plays while glass held and than cheers! weird I know but it is a process instilled.

and I hope this doesn't upset you but in the U.S. we think the guest is always right and if the guest holds the glass than you hold the glass just a custom I guess...

Last edited:
1. The Obamas' wedding gift was very thoughtful. They gave items (rather than money) to a chosen charity that was started by Americans and involves a sport the President loves.

2. Catherine looked great at the meeting with the Obamas, but I agree she's a tad too thin. (Stories are swirling over her that it's going to affect her ability to get pregnant.) Michelle Obama's dress was nice but I think the pink shrug jacket competes too much with the dress for focus.

3. Michelle did look wonderful at the state banquet.

4. As for President Obama's speech, I thought it was great. He started off saying a few personal remarks to the Queen and then addressed the rest of the room. The anthem behind his words lent a certain drama to them, but he certainly can't be blamed for it happening if the band started too early. It was better for him to finish his speech then stop and wait for the anthem to finish.

5. I like this video of President Obama and the Prime Minister teaming up for ping pong. BBC News - Barack Obama and David Cameron form table tennis team

Personally, I don't think there was much of a point for this visit, besides that Lil is rather fond of the Obama's and wanted them over for jam and tiara's. Which is totally fine with me!!! I've been wanting this state visit to take place since Obama won the election. I don't think there doing a very good job of shrugging off the "special" relationship title, as even the Queen referred to it in her speech. Faux pas or not, still loved the Speech and the ending bit. Some faux pas's turn out rather wonderful.

Personally, I don't think there was much of a point for this visit, besides that Lil is rather fond of the Obama's and wanted them over for jam and tiara's.

.lol. That's my perception of it too, 'PJ25' :D And hey, any excuse to see a little 'glitter'!

Does there have to be a reason to see a tiara? ;)
Like I said - the politics will be discussed today, BO wouldn't fly all the way over to the UK for nothing, would he? ;)

Hi Im not sure where to post this so here goes.... Does anyone know if the name of the tiara that The Queen wore for state banquet? Was it the lovers Knot?

1. .

4. As for President Obama's speech, I thought it was great. He started off saying a few personal remarks to the Queen and then addressed the rest of the room. The anthem behind his words lent a certain drama to them, but he certainly can't be blamed for it happening if the band started too early. It was better for him to finish his speech then stop and wait for the anthem to finish.

His words were good but the order was totally wrong.

The band was not wrong when it came in but Obama was wrong in the way he worded his speech - he gave the toast and then kept going - WRONG WRONG WRONG - once he offers the toast he has one thing to do and one thing only - SHUT UP because he has finished. Offering the toast ends the speech - it is that simple. The band is trained to start the anthem on hearing the toast offered - that is their cue and Obama was simply wrong.

It wasn't the band's fault but Obama's and he has to take the blame for not doing things the right way.

I have read a number of people who think that Mrs Obama looked good at the evening function but can anyone tell me when she put on all the weight - she used to look good but that dress made her look overweight and top heavy - far from flattering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom