State Visit from the President of the United States: May 24-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets try to keep this thread as political opinion free as possile.

Catherine looks awesome with that 10-day tan. :)

Well I did not expect to see Kate and William.

It's very great to see the Duchess of Cambridge takes on her 1st duty as a member of the Royal Family, especially it is meeting with the President and First Lady of the United States!
However I have a question, if anyone can help to clarify? I can recall that most Welcoming Ceremony takes place on Horse Guards Parade, while this time, it is taken in the Gardens of Buckingham Palace. Is it because of the security issues for the President and the First Lady are taken more seriously and having it inside the Palace is more safe?
I think it is because of security reasons. At the State Visit of President Bush the ceremonial Welcome took place in the front court of Buckingham Palace.
I think it would have been better to hist the entire State Visit at Windsor as there the ceremonial Welcome takes place in the Upper Court.

Kate looks really good but why isn't she in a headpiece or hat?
Michelle Obama's outfit is very disappointing.

I completely agree. I have no idea who advised the First Lady that belted dresses and cardigans are a good look for State visits. :sad:

I know that she can do better, I have seen it!:bang:

MO does it again with a just AWFUL outfit.

I actually like Michelle's dress. I don't think she looks awful at all. I could do without the pink jacket though.

So glad to see the Duke and Duchess. Kate looks really lovely.

:previous: I don't think its awful just not appropriate for the event.

She should have worn a more tailored outfit. This one is something that would work well at a cocktail party IMO. But even that is pushing it:ermm: I hope she does better tonight.

I like Michelle's dress a lot, though not the jacket.

So lovely to see William and Kate there. Kate is looking especially lovely in that dress!

I like Michelle's dress a lot, though not the jacket.

So lovely to see William and Kate there. Kate is looking especially lovely in that dress!

Catherine really acts as if she had never done anything but represent the monarchy in palace surroundings! Great to see. And no wonder she is so well-trained and slim. For two extremly sporty people a honeymoon on a tropical island means a lot of enjoyable workout plus the "Tropical diet" - lots of grilled fish, veggies and fruit without fatty sauces (no good idea in this climate).

But I guess she will fill out a bit in time as she seems to be rather the "healthy" person, not the unhealthy slimmer.

Good to see them both in such great shape.

She should have worn a more tailored outfit. This one is something that would work well at a cocktail party IMO. But even that is pushing it:ermm: I hope she does better tonight.

I don't mind the fit/cut of the dress. For me it's the jacket that is throwing the outfit off. A dark gray or egg blue jacket would have looked much better.

She usually gets it right during evening events, so I'm looking forward to seeing her evening attire.

Last edited:
I don't mind the fit/cut of the dress. For me it's the jacket that is throwing the outfit off. A dark gray or egg blue jacket would have looked much better.

She usually gets it right during evening events, so I'm looking forward to seeing her evening attire.

I have to agree. I don't think the dress is wrong at all but I can't figure out the pink jacket she paired with it. The pink is just too bright and clashes in a very distracting way.

Love Kate's entire look. Just fabulous.

Catherine looks so poised and elegant. Bravo!

That is her duty now, and she is doing it like she did all her life....very noce for her! She looks really fantastic!:flowers:

Yes - Kate does look like meeting presidents and their wives comes naturally to her, doesn't she? (William looks the same way, but then he has been trained to do this.)

I like Kate's dress very much - it reminds me of some of the other European princesses (Princess Letizia, I think). The only thing - Kate is also starting to remind me of Letizia with her weight! She didn't use to be this thin.

I do not like Michelle Obama's outfit, either, but (even though I don't regularly look at pictures of her) she has never seemed like a "fashion icon" to me. The thing about the clothes she is wearing is that they don't seem suitable for a tall, big-boned woman like she is. They seem more appropriate for a young, petite girl.

Last edited:
Which members of the BRF will attend the state dinner tonight? Sorry, if this has been asked before - I'm in a hurry. ;)

Which members of the BRF will attend the state dinner tonight? Sorry, if this has been asked before - I'm in a hurry. ;)

I believe the regulars...no William, Catherine, Harry, Beatrice or Eugenie.

The regulars are the Queen, DoE, Andrew, Charles, Camilla, Sophie, Edward, Anne, and Tim. Plus the Gloucesters and the Kents.

Zonk you read my mind...belts don't go well on a body like Michelle's but she seems to like them a lot.

A tailored outfit in a color to showcase her glorious complexion would have been wonderful. :whistling:

For her first State dinner as First Lady, she wore a magnificent gold evening gown that Sally Quinn of the Washington Post described as the most beautiful gown ever worn at the White House...and I 100% agree...it was just stunning.

I hope MO looks great tonight.

Last edited:
Interesting articles. Lovely to see them all conversing. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those situations.

Kate looks so beautiful and elegant. How wonderful of her to choose such a classy, inexpensive dress in a nod to these harsh economic times. They truly do consider these unfortunate times of others' financial hardships. Catherine will be a great role model for women everywhere.

HM looks so regal and lovely in her dress. It would be a treat to see if Kate shows up this evening for the dinner in her tiara. How wonderful would that be?

I was surprised to the The Cambridges meeting Mr and Mrs Obama!
Lovely surprise. :)
Mrs Obama has a great fashion sense and I really don't see the dress as inappropriate, however is not her best look. maybe it's the pink coat. Can't wait to see what she will wear latter on :)

I didn't know presidents couldn't travel down The Mall. I must admit, I do love Baracks voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom