The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
But I am not a fan of that gigantic tiara that Camilla wears so often. It's just too big.
Actually, I think that Camilla wears the Boucheron tiara very well, much better than the Queen Mother did, in fact. I think she must be a little bigger.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I haven't seen a photograph of Kevin Spacey but according to The Mail, the Countess of Wessex was seated next to him. Could she be the woman to his left? And I thought for such as an occasion like a state dinner in Buckingham Palace, if you have a tiara, wear it!
She seated right to him, and she was wear her wedding tiara.
You may see, a little footage of The Countess and Spacey during the Queen's speech on BBC video

Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

It is quite easy actually - wear appropriate sun cream - I do it every year.

Most Australians do because we are taught the dangers so much these days and people of my age will probably know people who have suffered, and in my case, died of skin cancer - directly attributable to tanning.
As a 26 year old who had surgery to remove skin cancer last week, I concur. A little tan can't be totally avoided all the time, but we should be past the point where we think it's attractive or healthy looking. I prefer the Duchess with her normal skin tone.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It is quite easy actually - wear appropriate sun cream - I do it every year.

Most Australians do because we are taught the dangers so much these days and people of my age will probably know people who have suffered, and in my case, died of skin cancer - directly attributable to tanning.
I wear sun cream and I still tan. How about we allow Catherine to take care of herself and not jump down her throat. She is in control of her body, no one else. And she doesn't look very tanned to me.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Camilla looks stunning.

strangely enough.. I have to agree...
Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Majesty

I like the tiara on Duchess of Cornwall, and I think she looks great overall on this occasion.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
I wear sun cream and I still tan. How about we allow Catherine to take care of herself and not jump down her throat. She is in control of her body, no one else. And she doesn't look very tanned to me.

I will not stop warning people here and elsewhere about the dangers of a tan.

If you still tan wearing sun cream then your cream isn't strong enough or isn't being used properly.

Any tan is dangerous and I don't apologise for saying so.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

All the royal ladies look beautiful this evening. So classy, so elegant, so just....well, they know how to do it right, modest, kind, self-depreciating, and very neutral. You fine people of Great Britain are so lucky to have her as Queen. I am quite envious.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
All the royal ladies look beautiful this evening. So classy, so elegant, so just....well, they know how to do it right, modest, kind, self-depreciating, and very neutral. You fine people of Great Britain are so lucky to have her as Queen. I am quite envious.
Agreed. I also love the tiara choices for this evening.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post
see my post #99 and I think than you gonna know why!!
Thank you!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!
But why? Yes, he did not address the guests correct, but the fact the band started playing while he was still talking wasn't too nice either. It was their mistake, not his, I am certain they knew (heard, maybe?) he wasn't done. I would assume it was their job to wait until he was done with his speech, then to start the Anthem.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Gentry

Going back to Kate's Reiss dress when they met the Obamas - am I crazy or is that Diana's necklace that she wore in Germany. Here's a picture of Diana's necklace taken by AP photographers.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/10349/421460.jpg
Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Could not have said it better. Her Majesty has such a great deal of class and energy, that it makes me feel a little embarrassed to admit that I get tired after dealing with children for six hours (I'm only thirty). This woman is doing more public engagements than days of the year, and is still able to wear heals (and look wonderful at a state function). Yeah, I hope that when I'm her age, I'll still be able to stand upright without assistance.

Hats off to Queen Elizabeth II.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!
That's just shameful. One would think the man would be knowledgable when it came to proper way of making a speech at a state function. No wonder so many in the world see Americans as uncultured and ill mannered.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

His speech was fine. The band started playing before he finished, so that is why he continued speaking. And can we please not make generalizations about Americans.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Gentry

What is so shameful? he made a mistake about addressing the people and the band made a mistake by starting to play when he was not finished with his speech, they are all human things like this are going to happen it wasn't a hugh deal. I think that anyone who had followed Barack Obama knows that the man can make a good speech. No need to hand in you citizenship, it was a simple mistake.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
Going back to Kate's Reiss dress when they met the Obamas - am I crazy or is that Diana's necklace that she wore in Germany. Here's a picture of Diana's necklace taken by AP photographers.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/10349/421460.jpg

I went back to look at some the the pics, I don't think it is
Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Serene Highness

So now we are talking about the fact that Catherine came back from her honeymoon with a tan! Ok.

I'm sure all the real concerns are in the right place

President Obama has a nice voice and his speech is even better. As someone living outside of the US I can say that, here and thanks primarily lot to him the US image has changed a huge deal. In a big and positive way. I liked how he acknowledged QEII importance to Britain and the world.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I loved Obama's speech and he is one of the worlds best speakers at the moment. His voice is just perfect for it. I personally like that the band started playing the anthem early, it added a very welcome theatrical vibe to the state banquet. It was so dramatic!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Majesty

He should know that as soon as he has offered the toast the speech is finished and that is when the band starts - lack of knowledge of protocol on the part of the US President - sorry not the band's fault but his - for not knowing how a speech should be constructed - proper introductions to people, say what you want to say and then toast the host - end of speech as the toast is the signal for the band to play the National Anthem.

Sorry Americans but your president let you down on this matter.