The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

On what do you base the notion that the Windsors are/were "close personal friends" with the Reagans, if you don't mind my asking?

In any case, for President Reagan to have addressed HM the Queen that way was as inexcusable as it was for Obama. He was NOT a member of her family, but a fellow Head of State, and that was a STATE OCCASION.

Even her children do not address her that way in public.

The Gipper goofed, imo.

BTW...ALEX...your post was amazing and impressive...THANK YOU for sharing!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personal knowledge.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I see...

Well, by the same standard since Alex has "personal knowledge" that HM welcomed Michelle and her children and even embraced them, I guess we can infer that she considers THEM close personal friends, too.

She doesn't normally do this.

So maybe Obama did NOT commit the faux pas we've accused him of?

The Kennedys also, since the DoE not only attended JFK's funeral but spent quite a long time alone with Jackie afterward and did not stand in the receiving line with the other visiting dignitaries.

I guess they(the Windsors) just have a thing for those American Presidents.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, Alex may have "inside info" aka: personal knowledge about the visit of the president's daughters' visit with HM. I can't see any reason why HM would not have "hugged" the girls, as they are children and American children, on the whole, are raised to be touchy-feeley.

It is a big world out there and you never know who you might be communing with on a forum, a bulletin board, or a chat room. I would never presume to say Alex isn't telling the truth of any connections s/he might have.

If the RF and the Obamas have become close personals, that is none of my business. My only hope, currently, is that this will have been the Obama's last visit to Buckingham Palace.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree with your last sentence...unless the Office of Protocol is undergoing a huge shakeup/overhaul, I think there should be a ban on any and all American Presidents visiting Buckingham Palace...or even having British Royalty visit here in Washington.

Unless HM enjoys being winked at and referred to as a 235 year old woman.

My guess is that the President is not losing any sleep over this. He has hugely more important things to worry about, as do the British Royals.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

On HM's subsequent visit, she inferred that she did enjoy Mr. Bush's gaffe. However, I don't think she was too enamoured of the "talking hat" incident.

I totally agree that Mr. Obama is not losing any sleep....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Well, Alex may have "inside info" aka: personal knowledge about the visit of the president's daughters' visit with HM. I can't see any reason why HM would not have "hugged" the girls, as they are children and American children, on the whole, are raised to be touchy-feeley.

It is a big world out there and you never know who you might be communing with on a forum, a bulletin board, or a chat room. I would never presume to say Alex isn't telling the truth of any connections s/he might have.

If the RF and the Obamas have become close personals, that is none of my business. My only hope, currently, is that this will have been the Obama's last visit to Buckingham Palace.

I don't know Alex's sources, but since she continues to allude to having "inside" knowledge perhaps she can enlighten us as to what that is.

The Queen may hug members of her own family or very close friends, but she is the Queen and certain formalities are followed even by her family members. We are now to believe she has thrown years of protocol out the door and now hugs wives of Presidents after meeting them once before? This doesn't sound right to me.

The consideration of inviting the Obama's to the Royal wedding but due to security concerns and removing windows from BP, etc.. in order to accommodate them also doesn't make sense. No heads of state were invited since this was not a state occasion. The Obamas are not personal friends of The Queen and her family, they are not heads of state within her realm or VIP's of charities they support. And they are certainly not Royalty. The fact is there would have been zero reason to consider that invitation, even if Michelle Obama would have liked to attend. As far as security is concerned, taking windows out of BP and replacing them with for a short visit is ridiculus and insulting. If the windows are good enough for the Queen of England, they are certainly good enough for a President of any country.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Administrator

You do realize, of course, that the Secret Service has certain requirements that they consider essential in their job of protecting the President of the United States? And that these elements are regardless of who is currently in office? And that the security of Obama and Bush has been amped as a result of the increase of terror? I am not saying that the SS has the right to ask that the windows be changed, but the protection offered pre 9/11 is not the same protection offered today.

from United States Secret Service: Frequently Asked Questions

How does the Secret Service "protect" the president?

In order to maintain a safe environment for the president and other protectees, the Secret Service calls upon other federal, state and local agencies to assist on a daily basis. The Secret Service Uniformed Division, the Metropolitan Police Department, and the U.S. Park Police patrol the streets and parks nearby the White House. The Secret Service regularly consults with experts from other agencies in utilizing the most advanced security techniques. The military supports the Secret Service through the use of Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams and communications resources. When the president travels, an advance team of Secret Service agents works with host city, state and local law enforcement, as well as public safety officials, to jointly implement the necessary security measures.

-----------------------

Also, without delving into the political persuasion of the parties involved...why is it okay to accept KittyAtlanta's personal knowledge of the relationship between the Queen and the Reagans (without any questions asked about her sources) but we need to ask Diarist (Alex) about the Queen and the Obamas? Is there some concern that he is making this up?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Courtier

Did I say I accepted KittyAtlantas personal knowledge of the Reagans relationship with the Queen? No I did not. In fact, I haven't commented on it at all. I have heard that Reagan and Margeret Thatcher had great respect for one another, but I know nothing about the Queen having a great friendship with them. As that was many years ago, and not part of the current discussion regarding the Obama's relationship with the Queen, I didn't feel it was necessary to comment.

I feel when anyone posts that they have "personal" knowledge or "insider" information on a subject, that they should explain what that is. I am not inclined to accept whatever anyone says as gospel truth based on the fact that they preface it with "insider" or "personal". Particularly when the context does not make sense.

Sorry!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

Reagan actually called Diana "PRINCESS DAVID" which is even worse...it would have been technically correct to call her "Princess Charles" as you pointed out.
I don't think so. My records don't show that anywhere.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN

I don't think so. My records don't show that anywhere.
Well, do you take BBC to be a reliable source? Unless someone finds a video or audio recording, we can't certain.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/4396846.stm
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

It can be seen at 3:18 in this video.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Well, do you take BBC to be a reliable source? Unless someone finds a video or audio recording, we can't certain.
BBC ON THIS DAY | 9 | 1985: America welcomes Charles and Diana
What a gaffe! Thank you Esmerelda - I nearly died laughing. But I love President Reagan - He's a great president. He is just not into flowery, fanciful speeches so obviously got caught with trying to keep to British title rules. Must have given Diana a good dose of the giggles.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Administrator

These intimate photographs form some of the unseen moments of President Barack Obama's visit to the UK in May.
Taken by official White House photographers, they capture life behind-the-scenes of a presidential visit.
Among the images, Mrs Obama is seen deep in conversation with former England football captain David Beckham and the president gets the chance to meet No 10 Downing Street's cat, Larry.

Read more: Michelle cooing over David Beckham and Obama with Larry the Downing Street cat: Unseen pictures of President Obama's visit to Britain | Mail Online