The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator

If I recall, that was was the cover of Newsweek or Time when Jackie died as well. Its a great picture.

But yes, Michelle does great style in evening wear, I always find her daytime ensembles to be a hit or miss kind of thing.

So no other pictures of tonight's dinner?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Gentry

Thanks for the new pictures, monic! I didn't know there was another event tonight. Michelle looks fabulous although I'm not a fan on the necklace - too busy for my tastes. I think I was so distracted by the necklace I didn't even notice her hair! I love all outfits from last night as well...I wish it was de rigor here in the US to wear tiaras! I'd love to see Michelle rocking some sparklies!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If I recall, that was was the cover of Newsweek or Time when Jackie died as well. Its a great picture.

But yes, Michelle does great style in evening wear, I always find her daytime ensembles to be a hit or miss kind of thing.

So no other pictures of tonight's dinner?

Zonk...what a MEMORY you have...you are exactly right. TIME used that very photo of Jackie on it's cover the week of her death, and NEWSWEEK used an equally stunning one of her in a raspberry coloured wool suit taken in 1961.

Both magazines got a lot of criticism for choosing photos of her in her youth rather than a more current one, but they were both beautiful. I have both magazines, by the way.

Now I am hearing that the President referred to HM in his speech as "you??"

Okay...I think we need to sack the entire Office of Protocol. Seriously...what the %^$# are those folks getting paid for??

SACK ALL OF THEM AND HIRE ME!!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

http://sandrarose.com/2011/05/is-oba...578-4_634x401/

Ok ignore the story but is this picture accurate? Did Obama really write the date as 2008? Wow- now that's embarassing
Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, he did. I can't IMAGINE what the heck he was thinking of. I've been known to write 2010 in 2011 (even now really not during the month of January) but 2008?!

I have both copies of the Jackie magazines as well. Its a great picture. I've got like 3 tubs of royalty magazines, cut articles about the Kennedys (at least Jackie and JFK's death) and the BRF!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Zonk I am looking for the article entitled "The Kennedys and the Windsors" or something like that...it was in either "Royalty Monthly" or "Majesty" magazine around the time that JKO died...do you know which one I am referring to?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Is Obama in the Beginning Stages of Alzheimer’s? Barack Obama forgets the date

Ok ignore the story but is this picture accurate? Did Obama really write the date as 2008? Wow- now that's embarassing
I saw that. Yesterday was just not his day. Someone on another board suggested that he might have been talking (or thinking) about his 2008 visit, so that was in the back of his mind when he wrote down the date. Otherwise, I have no idea why he went back to '08.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
ITA, her body her choice.

I stated the samething recently.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
Wow! The First Lady looks stunning! I had no idea this was going on, thank you.
They all look amazing. I will say that I love this Black dress more than the one from last night. I thought that she looked great in the white dress, but the the Opera Gloves just did not do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I really like Michelle's dress. I would have preferred her hair down though.

The Queen looks nice. It does seem like she wears a lot of white for evening events.
I thought that maybe if her hair was pulled up more on top of her head instead of a Low Bun, but the hair up is good. The White on the Queen ( though she also looked great) it kind of washes her out abit. Some color on the dress or Colored jewels would have been even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Michelle really brings her "A" game when she dons evening wear...that black off the shoulder gown is SHEER ELEGANT PERFECTION much like the ivory Tom Ford last night...I prefer her in lighter colors to showcase her beautiful skin tone, but why quibble..she looks great!

BTW ZaJa...that photo in your avatar is said to have been JFK's favorite picture of his wife...she looks so gorgeous there, and I never realized she had freckles....
BINGO.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
That's just shameful. One would think the man would be knowledgable when it came to proper way of making a speech at a state function. No wonder so many in the world see Americans as uncultured and ill mannered.
All in all, I'm not as embarrassed as when George H.W. Bush threw up on the Japanese prime minister or when Ronald Regan fell asleep while conversing with the Pope.

Not as embarrassed by a LONG shot!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Let's all agree that everyone at some point has done something that can be construed as embarassing and move on. That goes for royalty, politicans, movie stars and regular people.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Zonk...what a MEMORY you have...you are exactly right. TIME used that very photo of Jackie on it's cover the week of her death, and NEWSWEEK used an equally stunning one of her in a raspberry coloured wool suit taken in 1961.

Both magazines got a lot of criticism for choosing photos of her in her youth rather than a more current one, but they were both beautiful. I have both magazines, by the way.

Now I am hearing that the President referred to HM in his speech as "you??"

Okay...I think we need to sack the entire Office of Protocol. Seriously...what the %^$# are those folks getting paid for??

SACK ALL OF THEM AND HIRE ME!!
Oh, please, HM, big deal is just another person. If that bothers her, which, I doubt, with all of her unearned perks, she should quit. But then, again, she is not you. You is a noun and perfectly acceptable. Really, a waste of time.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

COUNTESS, as usual you are right, and I am sure the Queen and DoE are sitting around in their private quarters at night gnashing their teeth and fuming that the bumpkins from over the pond can NEVER get it right-ONLY NOT!

It's just that I am personally a stickler for protocol..and I am afraid from reading this Board that the President's enemies will use these gaffes as "proof" that he is not ready for primetime.

Oh well.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

You are right. Those who want to fault him, will find some silyl, un....I don't even know a word....like their people are so perfect. Blaming poor President George WH Bush for throwing up is ridiculous, he was sick couldn't help it, it wasn't a breach of protocol.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
It depends on whose protocol. The band was out of place. It was obvioous he was still speaking. They were rude. And, actually, at dinners a band playing an anthem is ridiculous. He, certainly, didn't let us down.
The band was not out of place, in any toast, a wedding toast, party toast, or a state dinner toast when you go I propose a toast to _____ and then stop talking for 2 seconds then it's done. If he had kept talking right away maybe they would of caught it but he left a pause and then continued talking after ending the speech. You cant put a post script in a speech it's not a letter...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, assume, that the band had a leader with a functioning brain. Two seconds is not a lifetime. No, it is not a postscript, but some people speak at their timetable, not some nonsensical pace. An anthem at a dinner. How gauche!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are right. Those who want to fault him, will find some silyl, un....I don't even know a word....like their people are so perfect. Blaming poor President George WH Bush for throwing up is ridiculous, he was sick couldn't help it, it wasn't a breach of protocol.
Oh God...I remember that..and I felt furious at the media for saying he had "disgraced" himself and the U.S....what was the poor man supposed to do?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Michelle shines at U.S party attended by David Beckham, Colin Firth and JK Rowling | Mail Online
Quote:
... Mr Obama had invited the the monarch and Duke of Edinburgh at Winfield House in Regent’s Park, the official home of the U.S Ambassador as a thank you for last night’s Buckingham Palace state banquet.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
MAY 24: His Royal Highness Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall leave Clarence House on their way to Buckingham Palace to meet with US President Barack Obama on May 24, 2011 in London, England.

Daylife picture
another picture
OK.. its late and I'm just starting to catch up on this thread. Are my eyes deceiving me? Is our Camilla starting a new daytime dress trend? From the second picture, I get the impression that Camilla is wearing what we used to call a "skort". Maybe its time I get that outfit from waybackwhen out of my closet and wear it again. If Camilla can do it...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Haha, sorry .... it's just a flared skirt. Too bad. :)