The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I would agree that this appears to be low key state visit. This might offend people, but although the President of India is more important (in the scheme of things) than the First Lady of France. Youth and fashion will always shine a little more. Doesn't make it right....just the way it is.
Can't agree more. The french state visit had a rather hyterical coverage for some obvious reasons, allowing, for us and our pleasure, far much more material than this one (or the mexican one in Buck House lately by the way). I don't think the event was particulary "low key", as the state visits are based on the same scheme, but the interest from the medias and the public, for sure, was not particulary high.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

In this picture, the Duke seems to have put on some weight; but perhaps it's just the way that he's angled to the camera. He also looks a wee fit disheveled--as though he's been out in a stiff breeze and hasn't had a chance to comb his hair. I've noticed that he's aged a fair bit in the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Mind you though, has the Duke always looked like that?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont think anyone means that the Gloucesters have overshadowed this state visit, but that they always seem to do the Guildhall Banquet. It would be nice if that duty rotated between them, the Kents, and the Wessex's. But I agree, I think the DoG's are a great asset and hugley unappreciated. What is the history behind the Guildhall Banquet? Is that the Lord Mayor of London hosting it?

The Duke seems to have "let himself go" slightly. But it could just be the camera's. Shame though, since his wife is still an elegant beauty.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, now THATs what I call a State Banquet! Really lovely to see all the pomp and pagentry. The Queen looked great in all the shots, I love them holding the event at Windsor Castle as well, its truly a place royal historical signifigance. God save the Queen.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Gentry

Queen's dress provides taste of India at dinner for Patil.

gulfnews : Queen's dress provides taste of India at dinner for Patil

Gown made from fabric received during first visit to country in 1961.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

THE Queen is in a bubbly mood as she joins Prince Charles for champers at a state banquet.

The dinner at Windsor Castle was in honour of the President of India Pratibha Patil and her husband Devisingh Ransingh Shekhawat.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke and Duchess look wonderful, the Duchess' jewels are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
THE Queen is in a bubbly mood as she joins Prince Charles for champers at a state banquet.
So she should, if she can't enjoy a state banquet then whats the point of them
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II (L) hands a ceremonial relay baton to India's President Pratibha Patil during the the launch of the XIX Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay for Delhi 2010, at Buckingham Palace in London, on October 29, 2009. Queen Elizabeth II and Indian President Pratibha Patil started the build-up to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi as they launched the baton relay Thursday at Buckingham Palace. British and Indian sports stars carried the baton through central London on the start of its journey to the Indian capital.

Picture Gallery ** GettyImages gallery
ANP
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Serene Highness

Meanwhile at Buckingham Palace :

Launch of the XIX Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay for the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/924...E873DCC80AFD98

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xr/924...9C89C783688B46

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/924...1E9F02BA17972E

End of a rather underrated state visit

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/924...C321D149D825D3

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/924...BC23BA54ED6307

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/924...DA217D78089627

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/924...B76CA57975743E
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to say a big thank you to everybody who's posted photos, links and articles on this thread.

I was really looking forward to this visit and have been appalled by the complete lack of coverage by the media. The BBC briefly mentioned the visit today but even then it was only because they were taling about the Commonwealth flame changeover.

This visit was far more important (imo) than the French state visit yet then we were constantly bombarded with hysterical news bulletins and articles.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Indeed this hasn't been a very well profiled state tour but it didn't involve Mrs Carla did it.
Beautiful pictures from today.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I was really looking forward to this visit and have been appalled by the complete lack of coverage by the media. The BBC briefly mentioned the visit today but even then it was only because they were taling about the Commonwealth flame changeover.

This visit was far more important (imo) than the French state visit yet then we were constantly bombarded with hysterical news bulletins and articles.
There were slots on the BBC, ITV, Sky, Ch 4. There were also articles of varying length in the Sun, Mirror & Mail.

IMO, it was less important than the visit from the French president, we have more ties to the French via the EU than we do with India.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II bids farewell to Indian President Pratibha Patil and an Indian dignitary following the launch of the XIX Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay for Delhi 2010, at Buckingham Palace, in London, on October 29, 2009. Queen Elizabeth II and Indian President Pratibha Patil started the build-up to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi as they launched the baton relay Thursday at Buckingham Palace. British and Indian sports stars carried the baton through central London on the start of its journey to the Indian capital.
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Queen welcomes Indian President
News Summary Royalblog.nl: Queen and President see off the baton

BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I'd like to say a big thank you to everybody who's posted photos, links and articles on this thread.

I share your sentiment, Little_star. The reality is that the British press, like a lot of the country IMO, is getting dumbed down and prefers to focus on scandals and frivolous things. What chance would the President of the world's largest democracy and an emerging superpower have compared with the young wife of a neighbouring country? You are comparing a 75 year old lady who trained as a lawyer, with a political career spanning c50 years with an attractive woman of around 40 with a slightly dodgy past whose topless pictures appeared in the British press the day she arrivied in the UK.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

To many, our future lies with ties to Europe! Some of us focused on that, rather than pretty pictures of either woman.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Serene Highness

A very very nice video from the state banquet with some nice shots of the procession in the Waterloo Chamber :

Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ha, you can see the DoC's tiara just blinging away in the bottom left corner for a big part of the video. Lovin the sparkle. Still have no idea what Princess Anne is wearing? Her necklace looks like some sort of fringe.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you so much for posting that link, Nico. I think it used up a rather large chunk of my pre-paid broadband, but it was worth it to see the banquet and hear the speeches of the two heads of state. And of course to see Camilla's sparkling tiara. Seeing her from the back like that, I think her hairstyle is excellent for her and that there's no need to change it. It's very distinctive and flattering from all angles.

I think Anne is wearing a tiara around her neck and a necklace in her hair.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Yes, Roslyn, that's what I thought... Did Anne get it all wrong?
She's no fashion icon & usually badly dressed, so maybe she put herself together for this banquet...
She needs a "dresser" with some style and taste - - badly

Maybe she just going balmy!! Is she related distantly to Joanna the Mad??

Larry
Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
They're the coats of arms of past and present Knights of the Garter.
Thanks wbenson. It was hard to make out exactly what they were.
Love the video Nico.