The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I wonder who it might be then. Would any of the wives of peers wear tiaras to state banquets like this one?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've noticed another non-royal lady with a tiara on as well. She is in one of the photos with the Queen wearing pink. Technically, any married woman can wear a tiara to a white-tie event.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I see who you mean -- she's here, sitting to the right of David Milliband.

HM The Queen
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

I would love to see what Princess Michael and the Duchess of Gloucester were wearing. I wish they would post multiple photos!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I would love to see what Princess Michael and the Duchess of Gloucester were wearing. I wish they would post multiple photos!
Me too! The coverage is far less important than the french state visit in Windsor last year. No pictures for exemple of the procession in the Waterloo Chamber ...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wish the Queen would be more adventurous in her eveningwear. The lady in pink was smashing! The Queen ought to try something like that. And Camilla looked lovely in that dark (blue?) dress, nice big tiara a la Queen Mother.

I hope the Indians weren't offended by the DoE's latest gaffe about all the Patels running around today.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Patil invites British Queen to India

President Pratibha Patil has invited Queen Elizabeth II to visit India, saying a “warm welcome” awaits her on what would be her fourth visit in 57 years as British monarch.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM

I assume that since the President has made the invitation in such a public way, it must have been okayed and accepted?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Pratibha Patil must be quite a petite lady. The Queen looks tall next to her! The colour of her sari is beautiful!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Is the woman in blue here on the far right Sophie Wessex? She's wearing a tiara, and her hair looks vaguely like Sophie's.
Is it the Countess Airlie. I hope I got the name right.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Courtier

You got the name right but I really doubt its Virginia, Countess of Airlie.
The countess is sometimes present at state dinners but she wouldn't be given such a prominent seat (next to Gordon and Sarah Brown). From what I can see, the lady in the picture also looks younger than Lady Airlie, who is almost 77 years old.

Whoever the woman is, she's sitting between Gordon Brown and David Cameron, so she's probably connected with politics one way or another (she may be a politician herself or wife of one).
Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Isn't the Speaker(or whatever the leader/head) of the House of Lords a Lady? Perhaps its her. I forgot her name, the Countess of M....??????
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

The ever-reliable Wikipedia (ahem) says the speaker of the House of Lords is indeed a woman, Baroness Hayman. But she's got white hair in her photo, so I'd guess it isn't her.

ETA: the Leader of the House of Lords is also a woman, Baroness Royall of Blaisdon. I'm not sure what she looks like, though. Maybe she's the mystery lady?

HM The Queen
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I assume that since the President has made the invitation in such a public way, it must have been okayed and accepted?
Not necessarily. I've heard other monarchs/heads of state issue similar invitations to their various hosts with several years going by before a return state visit (if at all).
Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Isn't the Speaker(or whatever the leader/head) of the House of Lords a Lady? Perhaps its her. I forgot her name, the Countess of M....??????
Lord Speaker of the House of Lords is indeed woman - Helene Hayman, Baroness Hayman. But the woman in picture, however little we can see of her, is most definitely not Baroness Hayman. Baroness Hayman has rather distinctive features (including characteristic hairstyle and grey hair).

That’s not Sally Illman either (wife of John Bercow – the current Speaker of the British House of Commons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay
ETA: the Leader of the House of Lords is also a woman, Baroness Royall of Blaisdon. I'm not sure what she looks like, though. Maybe she's the mystery lady?
Sorry, not her as well: Baroness Royall is famous for her red hair.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 AM

Could she be a member of the Mountbatten family?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Courtier

Could be, although I don't know any likely-looking member of the Mountbatten family.

As a matter of fact, the lady in blue reminds me of the Duchess of Gloucester, could it be her? Similar profiles, similar hairstyle, tiara, and we know Birgitte was present too. And the sitting arrangements would fit as well; it’d make sense to sit the Duchess of Gloucester between the Prime Minister and the Leader of Opposition.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamari View Post
Not necessarily. I've heard other monarchs/heads of state issue similar invitations to their various hosts with several years going by before a return state visit (if at all).
This invitation is for the Queen to come to India at a specific time, though (October 2010 for the Commonwealth Games).
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
So many great pictures - thank you. All the ladies look terrific!
And I love this pic of the banquet hall at Windsor. Gorgeous. Are those flags of different nationalities on the ceiling? http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xr/923...9C89C783688B46
Old 10-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

They're the coats of arms of past and present Knights of the Garter.