State Visit from the President of India: October 27-29, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Honeycomb tiara, too. The DoC looks so good! If I ever figure out what is Princess Anne wearing on her head, I'll let you know if I like it...

Is the woman in blue here on the far right Sophie Wessex? She's wearing a tiara, and her hair looks vaguely like Sophie's.

I thougt the same thing... But the EoW being abroad i doubt sophie will attend a state fonction alone ...:confused:

I thougt the same thing... But the EoW being abroad i doubt sophie will attend a state fonction alone ...:confused:
It is quite normal for a male or female to be invited whilst the spouse is otherwise engaged, they can always find someone to pair you up with. :flowers:

It is quite normal for a male or female to be invited whilst the spouse is otherwise engaged, they can always find someone to pair you up with

Really? I thought these kind of state engagements worked by pair (like shoes :lol:). Thanks for the info ;)

What is Anne wearing in her hair?
Agreed on the Boucheron--she looks wonderful in it, it's a beautiful tiara--and I would like to see something else now, please. HM always looks lovely, but I do hate that necklace.

I was hoping to see the Delhi Durbar, and the Arabian sapphires myself. Get off the Honeycomb..too much of one thing isn't good for you...;):D

As for the Durbar, it's Imperial connection would I'm sure have been considered. Not that it would have even been worn.

I just can't imagine that wearing the Delhi Durbar would have been a good idea at a state banquet for the president of India...

Well according to the Court Circular ,only the Pow and the Doc, the PR , the Gloucesters and the Michaels attended the banquet tonight.

Court Circular: Oct 28 - Times Online

Sorry Ella, apparently this lady in blue is not Sophie :sad: :flowers:

I wonder who it might be then. Would any of the wives of peers wear tiaras to state banquets like this one?

I've noticed another non-royal lady with a tiara on as well. She is in one of the photos with the Queen wearing pink. Technically, any married woman can wear a tiara to a white-tie event.

I see who you mean -- she's here, sitting to the right of David Milliband.

I would love to see what Princess Michael and the Duchess of Gloucester were wearing. I wish they would post multiple photos!

I would love to see what Princess Michael and the Duchess of Gloucester were wearing. I wish they would post multiple photos!

Me too! The coverage is far less important than the french state visit in Windsor last year. No pictures for exemple of the procession in the Waterloo Chamber ...

I wish the Queen would be more adventurous in her eveningwear. The lady in pink was smashing! The Queen ought to try something like that. And Camilla looked lovely in that dark (blue?) dress, nice big tiara a la Queen Mother.

I hope the Indians weren't offended by the DoE's latest gaffe about all the Patels running around today.

Patil invites British Queen to India

President Pratibha Patil has invited Queen Elizabeth II to visit India, saying a “warm welcome” awaits her on what would be her fourth visit in 57 years as British monarch.

I assume that since the President has made the invitation in such a public way, it must have been okayed and accepted?

:previous:

You got the name right but I really doubt its Virginia, Countess of Airlie.
The countess is sometimes present at state dinners but she wouldn't be given such a prominent seat (next to Gordon and Sarah Brown). From what I can see, the lady in the picture also looks younger than Lady Airlie, who is almost 77 years old.

Whoever the woman is, she's sitting between Gordon Brown and David Cameron, so she's probably connected with politics one way or another (she may be a politician herself or wife of one).

Last edited:
Isn't the Speaker(or whatever the leader/head) of the House of Lords a Lady? Perhaps its her. I forgot her name, the Countess of M....??????

The ever-reliable Wikipedia (ahem) says the speaker of the House of Lords is indeed a woman, Baroness Hayman. But she's got white hair in her photo, so I'd guess it isn't her.

ETA: the Leader of the House of Lords is also a woman, Baroness Royall of Blaisdon. I'm not sure what she looks like, though. Maybe she's the mystery lady?

I assume that since the President has made the invitation in such a public way, it must have been okayed and accepted?

Not necessarily. I've heard other monarchs/heads of state issue similar invitations to their various hosts with several years going by before a return state visit (if at all).

Princejohnny25 said:
Isn't the Speaker(or whatever the leader/head) of the House of Lords a Lady? Perhaps its her. I forgot her name, the Countess of M....??????

Lord Speaker of the House of Lords is indeed woman - Helene Hayman, Baroness Hayman. But the woman in picture, however little we can see of her, is most definitely not Baroness Hayman. Baroness Hayman has rather distinctive features (including characteristic hairstyle and grey hair).

That’s not Sally Illman either (wife of John Bercow – the current Speaker of the British House of Commons).

Ella Kay said:
ETA: the Leader of the House of Lords is also a woman, Baroness Royall of Blaisdon. I'm not sure what she looks like, though. Maybe she's the mystery lady?

Sorry, not her as well: Baroness Royall is famous for her red hair.

Last edited:
Could she be a member of the Mountbatten family?

:previous:

Could be, although I don't know any likely-looking member of the Mountbatten family.

As a matter of fact, the lady in blue reminds me of the Duchess of Gloucester, could it be her? Similar profiles, similar hairstyle, tiara, and we know Birgitte was present too. And the sitting arrangements would fit as well; it’d make sense to sit the Duchess of Gloucester between the Prime Minister and the Leader of Opposition.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. I've heard other monarchs/heads of state issue similar invitations to their various hosts with several years going by before a return state visit (if at all).

This invitation is for the Queen to come to India at a specific time, though (October 2010 for the Commonwealth Games).

They're the coats of arms of past and present Knights of the Garter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom