The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

State Visit by Pope Benedict XVI: 16-19 September 2010

Pope Benedict XVI confirms first state visit to UK -Times Online

The Pope has today confirmed that he will be visiting Britain later this year, the first state visit to this country by the worldwide head of the Roman Catholic Church.

The Queen has, in the last few days, issued the formal invitation to the Pope to visit for four days in mid-September. The visit will start in Scotland and take in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham and London, where the Pope will deliver an historic address in Westminster Hall, Parliament. It will be the first state visit by a Pope to Britain, as that of his predecessor Pope John Paul II in 1982 was a pastoral visit only.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and the Pope's Visit, Sept 16 & 17, 2010

Pope Benedict XVI will visit Scotland in September this year.

It will be his first visit to Britain since his enthronement, and the first visit of a Pope since John Paul II.

Benedict XVI and Queen Elizabeth II will meet each other as Heads of State.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

No sooner is the Pope's visit announced, there is opposition to the visit by the National Secular Society, in the shape of a Ten Downing Street Petition:

BBC News - Petition against Pope Benedict XVI's UK visit

"We the undersigned, petition the Prime Minister to ask the Catholic church to pay for the proposed visit of the Pope to the UK and relieve the taxpayer of the estimated £20 million cost......"
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Announcement of Papal Visit to the UK, 16 March 2010

At the invitation of Her Majesty The Queen, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI will pay a Papal Visit to the United Kingdom from the 16th-19th September 2010.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Prince Philip to greet Poope on arrival at airport - Scotsman.com News

The Duke of Edinburgh is to greet the Pope when he arrives at Edinburgh airport next month - the first time the Queen's consort has been dispatched to meet a visiting head of state.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Pope visit: Pomp of state visit for Benedict XVI in secular Britain - Telegraph

The papal plane touches down tomorrow morning in the most secular country Benedict XVI has ever visited, yet he will still be met with the full pomp and ceremony of a state visit.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Pope visit: Pomp of state visit for Benedict XVI in secular Britain - Telegraph

The papal plane touches down tomorrow morning in the most secular country Benedict XVI has ever visited, yet he will still be met with the full pomp and ceremony of a state visit.

A 'secular' country with an established church seems a contradiction in terms.

A wouldn't have thought that Britain was any more secular than Australia with the addition of having a Head of State who is also Supreme Governor of another Christian denomination.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

I believe that secular in this case refers to the people and not to the government.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Queen’s speech of praise as she welcomes the Pope

The Queen will praise the Roman Catholic Church for its work on education and social care as she welcomes Pope Benedict XVI to Britain tomorrow on an historic State Visit.

She will highlight the Church’s work in faith schools and caring for the sick and elderly in a public speech and during private discussions at Edinburgh’s Palace of Holyroodhouse, sources said yesterday.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

First pics of day 1:

Queen Elizabeth welcomes Pope Benedict XVI as he arrives at the Palace
of Holyroodhouse, in Edinburgh, Scotland, Thursday September 16, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

You can watch all the moments of this this historic event live:

The Visit Live / Home - The Visit
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

I think I saw Earl of St Andrews among the guests at the State welcome in Edinburgh. Am I right? Any info about other members of the Royal Family, except the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, meeting the Pope today? Will the Pope meet the Prince of Wales? Will the Pope, at a dinner for example, meet any other British Royals?
When can I saw again the broadcast of the Pope's arrival at the airport and to the Holyroodhouse Palace?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Pope's UK Trip (PHOTOS): Pope Benedict XVI Makes Controversial Visit To Britain
Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

POPE'S UK VISIT: Benedict XVI likens rise of atheism to Nazis | Mail Online

I'm very glad that he's visiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
I think I saw Earl of St Andrews among the guests at the State welcome in Edinburgh. Am I right? Any info about other members of the Royal Family, except the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, meeting the Pope today? Will the Pope meet the Prince of Wales? Will the Pope, at a dinner for example, meet any other British Royals?
When can I saw again the broadcast of the Pope's arrival at the airport and to the Holyroodhouse Palace?
I doubt you've seen Earl of St Andrews at the state arrival, i've looked throw the pictures and they would have said his name, I think.

A state dinner isn't on the agenda, but he might meet other members in private. There hasn't been any articles to say that he will meet any other members of the royals, we might see some pictures when he's down in London tommorow.
If you check out YouTube, i'm sure something should be up or a news website.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Courtier

I don´t think that Pope Benedict ever has a formal dinner on the many state visits he has made.
From what I could see he was made very welcome in Scotland.
Camilla was married to a Catholic, but I am not sure whether her children have been brought up in this religion or whether they are C of E.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

I'm pretty sure there was Earl of St Andrews... I googled him right now and I recognize his face... I was watching live webcast at the papalvisit.org.uk website during the ceremony of state welcome, when the Queen and the Pope were giving their speeches. He was there, I believe in the same group as Cardinal O'Brien, Dr Williams and First Minister Salmond.
I think the Catholic Windsors may have huge interest in meeting the Pope, their faith's leader. It is a rare occassion, as he is in the UK, where they are on a privilleged position, and as a guest of the Queen, their cousin.Why wouldn't they use this opportunity?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Speech of the Holy Father at Holyroodhouse:

Papal Visit 2010: Pope’s Holyroodhouse speech – full text*|*CatholicHerald.co.uk

The Speech of HM Queen Elisabeth II at Holyroodhouse:

Papal Visit 2010: Queen’s speech to Pope Benedict – full text*|*CatholicHerald.co.uk

The Homily of the Holy Father at Bellahouston Park Mass:

Papal Visit 2010: Pope’s homily at Bellahouston Park – full text*|*CatholicHerald.co.uk
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Commoner

I just saw a news report here in New York that the Queen welcome Pope Benedict in Scotland. They said this was the first official visit of a pope to Great Britain in 500 years. They showed a picture of an outdoor Mass in Scotland. It looked like an extremely large turnout for a country, Scotland, that is probably 99% Presbyterian.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Here you be:

Pope likens the rise of atheism in Britain to the Nazis as he admits his 'shock and sadness' over abuse scandal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0zk03xw3R

I LOVE the red shoes!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

POPE'S UK VISIT: Susan Boyle and 70,000 drown out the cynics | Mail Online

Quote:
After all those threats and all that ranting from the secular lobby, it wasn't an 'aggressive atheist' who embarrassed the Pope on Day One of his British tour. It was the Scottish weather.
As the Holy Father stood alongside the Queen on the royal dais for the formal welcome at the Palace of Holyroodhouse yesterday morning, along came a burst of sea breeze from the North Sea and Pope Benedect XVI's little white cap went flying off its silvery perch.
Quick as a flash, the Pope grabbed his zucchetto and solemnly waited until the strains of God Save The Queen had died away before putting it back in his head.

And that, frankly, was the nearest we got to a glitch at the start of the first Papal visit to Britain in 28 years.