State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Scottish as well but I agree that if there is going to be a Monarchy then lets enjoy the full trappings of it. Otherwise what's the point in having one?

ElisaR said:
Sleeves are nice, however this is not my favourite dress.

In the second picture she looks a bit unhappy or bored. Honestly, the Queen's speech (I mean the text of the speech) is terribly boring!

lol shes probo thinking o god not this again! lol personaly i could watch it over and over, i love the way she says MY goverment, i wish she had more authority on the day to day basis of HER goverment, with all the experiance behind her and the knowledge id welcome a amazing woman like her into our goverment

The Openning of Parliament

While reading an article in Majesty magazine about the openning of Parliament, I came across a sentance that stated there were two times when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth was absent from the ceremonies, 1959 and 1963, when she was expecting Princes Andrew and Edward. In a situation such as this, when the Her Majesty was unable to attend, who takes over her duties, the Duke of Edinburgh? I think Prince Charles would have been to young. Thanks.

Fellow poster Elisa asked this question to Royal Insight here is there answer.

Q: Elisa Rosi - Parma, Italy
I know The Queen didn't open Parliament in 1959 and 1963. Who did it on behalf of Her Majesty?

Parliament was not opened in these years due to the fact that The Queen was pregnant with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward respectively.

Parliament was opened by Commission, which means that the Lord Chancellor, leader of the House of Lords, read the speech which The Queen would have given.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1875.asp

State Opening of Parliament: November 6, 2007

State Opening of Parliament
6 November 2007

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open Parliament on November 6, 2007.

The thread will be opened closer to the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Queen and the Duke are going to open the Parliament next Tuesday 6th. But i do not know how will they manage it, as they are going to have another engagement in the day as well, so probably the Opening of Parliament would be around 11am , i think.

Yeah the Queen and the Duke are going to open the Parliament next Tuesday 6th. But i do not know how will they manage it, as they are going to have another engagement in the day as well, so probably the Opening of Parliament would be around 11am , i think.

Correct. She almost always arrives at 11 and leaves at noon. I think they'll manage their other engagement well. It's probably even in London. In 2005 they had engagements in Saskatchewan the same day!

I hope that there is good coverage of the opening of Parliament. It would be great to see all the jewels of the other nobility, as I think the do not often get the chance to wear the full display.

Correct. She almost always arrives at 11 and leaves at noon. I think they'll manage their other engagement well. It's probably even in London. In 2005 they had engagements in Saskatchewan the same day!

She absolutely ALWAYS arrives at 11:00 - they literally hold the clock from chiming until she steps out of the coach!!

What great pictures.....
Queen Elizabeth II looks more and more like Queen Mary as she ages..... she must be so proud to be the spitting image of her Granny.

What other members of the Royal Family attended??

Queen Elizabeth II makes her way to the State Opening of Parliament from Buckingham Palace in London, Britain 06 November 2007. Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, who has been named as one of the world's most glamorous women by British Vogue magazine, was to make her annual speech to Parliament.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

The Imperial State Crown travels by carriage ahead of Britain's Queen Elizabeth from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster, for the traditional opening of Parliament in London November 6, 2007

British Royal Family on Yahoo! News Photos

The coach carrying Britain's Queen Elizabeth II leaves Buckingham Palace to attend the State opening of Parliament, in London, Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2007

Queen Elizabeth II is assisted by her husband Prince Philip, as she arrives at the Sovereign Entrance to the House of Lords in London, Tuesday Nov. 6, 2007, for the State Opening of Parliament in London

Last edited:
What other members of the Royal Family attended??
I think before the Prince of Wales and Princess Anne used to attend the Ceremony. In the early 90s, the late Princess Margaret, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, along with the Duke and Duchess of Kent also attended. But in recent years, only the Queen and Prince Philip.

Queen Elizabeth II waves as she travels to the State Opening of Parliament on November 6, 2007 in London, England. The Queen's Speech, the first for new British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, is expected to introduce legislative bills on education, immigration , housing and counter-terrorism.
The Duke of Edinburgh accompanies the Queen

Pictures:
The Queen waving
The Queen in the carriage
The Queen in the carriage 2
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in the carriage

Gallery of Pictures from Getty

More pictures:

The Imperial State Crown
The Imperial State Crown is transfered to the Parliament in the separate cariage

Regiments 1
Regiments 2
Security on the roof

A member of the Queen's foot guards yawns before the State Opening of Parliament

Gallery of Pictures from Isifa

I didn't like the way HM read the speech this year. It almost sounded as if she couldn't be bothered and that she was slightly annoyed by the ideas put forward.

How sweet! I come to the forums expressly to see the pics from the parliament opening and what a surprise, to also have a glimpse of sweet Louise, even only through a window it's marvelous, and she has her zebra in hand. :flowers: She looks more like Edward everytime.

I didn't like the way HM read the speech this year. It almost sounded as if she couldn't be bothered and that she was slightly annoyed by the ideas put forward.

If you were her age, would you want to put on a heavy metal hat and read someone's laundry list?

I loved the expression on the Duke's face as Jack Straw tried to go backwards down the steps.

What about HM's Ladies in Waiting , Like who are they , and I know this isnt the place to talk about jewles but I was wondering if there are some better pictures of the jewels that the Ladies in Waiting are wearing and I was also wondering why the other members of The Royal Family dont come anymore i mean u would think that since HM Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh will be celebrating 60 years of Marriage that they would be there. Hopefully they will be there when HM celebrates her 60 years on the throne.

If you were her age, would you want to put on a heavy metal hat and read someone's laundry list?

I loved the expression on the Duke's face as Jack Straw tried to go backwards down the steps.

There's always a younger girl prepared to do the job....

How sweet! I come to the forums expressly to see the pics from the parliament opening and what a surprise, to also have a glimpse of sweet Louise, even only through a window it's marvelous, and she has her zebra in hand. :flowers: She looks more like Edward everytime.

Here are two more pics of Louise and Sophie, you can especially see
Sophie and the zebra a bit better on these :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I think not. :cool: I do miss the old days when the opening of Parliament was a truly splendid affair with many members of the family attending, and lots of jewels in action. It's still nice though, and Lady Louise and her Zebra was the best surprise of all. :wub:

I don't think it was that, :lol:, but I definitely thought she was struggling to read it, which I thought was due to her age. She seemed to keep losing track. She also showed her age when she reached for Philips hand to help her down the few steps.

I'm still dying for the day when she leads a sing-song from the throne.

Louise looks on princess Ann when she was that age very much !!!

Could some1 plz help me with my previous post about ladies in waiting like who are they , are there any better pictures of there jewels and why dont the other royal members come to the opening of Parliament anymore ?

I thought Louise's turned in eye had been fixed but it dosn't look right in one of those last pictures. Maybe there is more treatment lined up and that is why her parents keep her out of the limelight.

As always, Her Majesty looked marvelous. She has an air of elegance about her that no one else has. Even at her age, she is BEAUTIFUL.

I don't think it was that, :lol:, but I definitely thought she was struggling to read it, which I thought was due to her age. She seemed to keep losing track. She also showed her age when she reached for Philips hand to help her down the few steps.

Maybe.... but it seems like she always, every year, reaches for his hand as she begins the journey to leave.

I don't know about the ladies in waiting. The ladies and pages that attend the royal couple every year are different, aren't they? The names of the Pages of Honour are listed here (Palace Press Release) but the names of the Ladies are not mentioned.

I just love to see HM wearing the George IV Diadem.

Getty Gallery
Abaca Gallery (includes fab multi-angle views of the diadem, and the Imperial Crown)
Polfoto Gallery (ten pages of pics)
IBL Gallery (2 pages)

Maybe.... but it seems like she always, every year, reaches for his hand as she begins the journey to leave.
I didn't mean because she reached for his hand, it was more the doddery way she did it. :lol: She is certainly showing her age.

I'm still dying for the day when she leads a sing-song from the throne.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My Old Man, perhaps?

Keith Waterhouse, columnist for The Daily Mail, has delivered his thoughts on The Queen's Speech....

It must be the way the Queen tells 'em | the Daily Mail 7 November 2007

My Lords and Members of the House of Commons, keep taking the tablets - I cannot think of a fairer way of summarising this week's Queen's Speech.

Like all political speeches nowadays, it followed the old drill sergeant's rule of thumb: First I tells 'em what I'm going to tell 'em. Then I tells 'em. Then I tells 'em what I've told 'em.

Like most Queen's speeches down the years, the contents of this one are destined to be made a hash of, watered down or dumped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom