State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random questions of the kind only I tend to ask:
I noticed how worn the door to Parliament is where Black Rod strikes it. Is this the original door/piece of wood being struck - and/or have there been repairs over the years? The wear and tear is obvious.
What is a coasting school? I've not heard that term before.
How long does it take to swap out tiaras/crown and add the robe when the Queen arrives at Parliament and who gets to do that? I'd pay to watch, but assume it is off camera?
How does Boris Johnson replicate that same bed head day after day? And why? ;)
And finally, does anyone know who the pages were this year?

What a beautiful day it was!

I noticed how worn the door to Parliament is where Black Rod strikes it. Is this the original door/piece of wood being struck - and/or have there been repairs over the years? The wear and tear is obvious.
What is a coasting school? I've not heard that term before.
How long does it take to swap out tiaras/crown and add the robe when the Queen arrives at Parliament and who gets to do that? I'd pay to watch, but assume it is off camera?
How does Boris Johnson replicate that same bed head day after day? And why? ;)
And finally, does anyone know who the pages were this year?

The door is a gift from India and Pakistan, made in 1950. There is nothing original in the House of Commons Chamber anymore. It burned down in 1941 and the older chamber burned down in 1832.

Gerard

Question why does the Queen have to wear white ? Would love to see her in a colour to match the crown
And why does Camilla wear white ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If I am not mistaken, the Queen does not have to wear white, she has worn gold on occasion. She merely chooses to.

I suspect Camilla follows HMs lead, and will want to remain, very much, in a supporting role, and will not wear a different colour to draw attention to herself. This is very much HMs day to be the centre of attention.

I missed the actual Live Coverage of the State Opening. Looked at my recordings on C-Span, and they only showed the speech and not the ceremonial arrivals and departures. I like the speech, but my favorite part is to see The Queen arriving and departing.

It would be nice to see The Queen and Camilla wear different colors though.

It would be nice to see William and Catherine attending, but my guess it will only happen on king Charles's first State Opening and so on. In the past, Charles, Anne, the Kent's and Gloucester's attended. I think it was better that way, IMO.

Last edited:
Question why does the Queen have to wear white ? Would love to see her in a colour to match the crown

I think that is tradition, when the previous Princess of Wales did attend the State Opening, she wore white as well. The late Princess Margaret mostly wore white/crème too.

I missed the actual Live Coverage of the State Opening. Looked at my recordings on C-Span, and they only showed the speech and not the ceremonial arrivals and departures. I like the speech, but my favorite part is to see The Queen arriving and departing.

It would be nice to see The Queen and Camilla wear different colors though.

It would be nice to see William and Catherine attending, but my guess it will only happen on king Charles's first State Opening and so on. In the past, Charles, Anne, the Kent's and Gloucester's attended. I think it was better that way, IMO.

I am already happy the Prince of Wales and his spouse do attend. There were many years without them. When the House of Lords was reformed (no longer hereditary peers), the royal Dukes -including the Prince of Wales- stopped attending. Now apparently the Court has re-considered things and thought that an attendance of the future King is quite logic and have now re-introduced the Waleses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since her coronation, the Queen has always worn white State Dresses (apart from the gold one made for her Golden Jubilee) and since the State Opening of Parliament - like the Coronation and State Banquets - is a State Event, she chooses white on account of it being the most appropriate colour. It seems that Camilla is following suit as do the Ladies-in-Waiting (who tone the theme down with cream or ivory).

How does Boris Johnson replicate that same bed head day after day?

I watched the event live and there is a pause of about 10 minutes from the moment the Queen enters the Robing Room until the fanfare declares she is ready to proceed. Of-course, it will only take a minute or so to exchange the tiara to the crown, and putting on the robe will be like put on a gilet, the arms go through two ermine-covered loops and then everyone lines up ready for the door to open.

I am afraid no one but Boris Johnson can account for his hairstyle.

The speech, I think, was shorter than usual of so it seemed.

Last edited:
She does look well Phillip is looking very frail as you would expect at his age.

I don't agree. He is almost 94, and he looks to be in great form.

I am already happy the Prince of Wales and his spouse do attend. There were many years without them. When the House of Lords was reformed (no longer hereditary peers), the royal Dukes -including the Prince of Wales- stopped attending. Now apparently the Court has re-considered things and thought that an attendance of the future King is quite logic and have now re-introduced the Waleses.

Yeah, I'm too glad that Charles & Camilla now attends. To me, it was better when a small group of royals attended. It's good to see the royals in their gear that we don't get to see on a regular bases.

Although I think it's down to comfortability, I think Camilla could change up her tiara's once in a while. She wear the same tiara to the State Banquets. There are plenty of pieces in the collection she could play around with and wear.

Parliament Archives @UKParlArchives · 2h 2 hours ago
The Queen addresses Parliament from the throne in the #HouseofLords chamber. #StateOpening July 1970
https://twitter.com/UKParlArchives/status/603536484013051904

Videos:
The Queen will set out the programme for the next parliament in the first Conservative-only Queen's Speech in nearly two decades. Shows: David Cameron departing number 10 Downing Street and the Royals departing Buckingham Palace (first carriage the crown and sword, second carriage Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall and third carriage The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh)-

Home - ITNSource News

Beautiful Aerial Views of the Procession-
The Queen will set out the programme for the next parliament in the first Conservative-only Queen's Speech in nearly two decades. .

Home - ITNSource News

The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have attended the State Opening of Parliament this morning-
Home - ITNSource News

Chinese State Visit coming up in the UK in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say I was startled to see Prince Charles looking every minute his age. :ermm:

I must say I was startled to see Prince Charles looking every minute his age. :ermm:

I thought he looked dour in all the DM pictures - so I looked on the photo service pages. There were more jolly pictures of Charles there. The DM does make biased choices sometimes :whistling:

On BBC the Prince of Wales looked his serious self, with some smiles of recognition here and there. The whole occasion is overloaded with ceremonial et al. Also the Queen and the Duke barely could get a smile on their faces, that's the sort of event.

Chinese State Visit coming up in the UK in October.
I saw that as well. I wonder if that might be William and Catherines first state banquet, seeing as William was there this spring and it would be good to build a relationship between William and China since Charles is not an option and the Queen won't live forever :)

I saw that as well. I wonder if that might be William and Catherines first state banquet, seeing as William was there this spring and it would be good to build a relationship between William and China since Charles is not an option and the Queen won't live forever :)

It's very possible they could be attending the State Banquet. They have to start attending these events. It's good training for them, so we shall see!

Queen doesn't really promise anything in that speech. It's not her words but the UK government of the day.

Thought both Her Majesty and the Duke looked really great today. Didn't really get a good look at Charles and/or Camilla, but will check out the various links later. Dad brought home one nasty buggie boo from Dialysis last week and was kind enough to share w/Mom and I. To say the last three days have been horrid is an understatement, but I check out stuff online for a wee bit, then go back to bed for a little bit and then do a wee bit and...I'm getting close to needing the bed for a bit, so...Yeah.

All in all though....Gorgeous day and no runaway horses or fainting Page boys makes for a great State Opening of Parliament IMO.

BTW....If anyone has the chance to watch the part of the series Monarchy : The Royal Family At Work that focuses on the work and preparation that goes into pulling off a flawless State Opening of Parliament, do!! It's available from iTunes and I found fascinating. We also get to see what the Sword of State looks like out of its scabbard and the etching and engraving on the blade is just stunningly gorgeous!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Did anyone else hear the Queen sniffling several times during the speech? I wondered if she had a cold, and how uncomfortable it must be to have to go up there and give a speech without being able to discreetly wipe one's nose!

As long as the parliament is comprised of the House of Commons, the House of Lords, and the Crown, it is appropriate for the Queen to refer to "my government" when outlining the legislative program of the new parliamentary session. That she did not write the speech is neither here nor there, it is the symbolism that is important. It is a reminder that governments of the day come and go, but the sovereignty of the Crown in Parliament is permanent, the Queen is the living embodiment of that sovereignty, and it is she the government has sworn to serve. Interestingly, at their most recent parliamentary openings, the Governor-General of Australia says "my government", the Governor-General of New Zealand says "the government", and the Governor General of Canada says "our government".

Did anyone else hear the Queen sniffling several times during the speech? I wondered if she had a cold, and how uncomfortable it must be to have to go up there and give a speech without being able to discreetly wipe one's nose!

I did, she's been doing that a lot lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom