State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As every year the snow queen is most impressive :)

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip leave Buckingham Palace in a
horse drawn carriage to attend the State Opening of Parliament,
in central London November 18, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimages **

** zimbio gallery **

Last edited:
The Queen was accompanied today by two of her Ladies-in-Waiting, extraordinary ladies IMO: Lady Diana, Maxwell, Lady Farnham; and Lady Susan Hussey.

Wonderful photographs! I do love the Snow Queen.

Question--why does Charles not attend the Opening of Parliament?

Last edited:
Wonderful photographs! I do love the Snow Queen.

Question--why does Charles not attend the Opening of Parliament?

the Snow Queen:wub:

I wish the heir would attend regularly, it makes sense, seeing as he will be delivering the Kings Speech one day. I'm hoping he will attend soon and with the Duchess in tow. How many times did Charles attend in the past? I know he went that one time with Lady Diana, and I think the Princess Royal attended once as well. It would be a grand family affair.

Also, is that the Koh-i-Noor on the front of the Imperial State Crown?

Sarah Brown was rather lovely I thought, I love her tiny hat.

the Snow Queen:wub:

I wish the heir would attend regularly, it makes sense, seeing as he will be delivering the Kings Speech one day. I'm hoping he will attend soon and with the Duchess in tow. How many times did Charles attend in the past? I know he went that one time with Lady Diana, and I think the Princess Royal attended once as well. It would be a grand family affair.

Also, is that the Koh-i-Noor on the front of the Imperial State Crown?

Sarah Brown was rather lovely I thought, I love her tiny hat.

Until 1998 also Princess margaret often attended as did the Duchesses of kent and Gloucesgter. And i think Diana also attended more than one time.
The Koh-i-noor is not in the Imperial STate Crownm it is set in the Crown of Queen Elizabeth the Queenmother.

It's the Cullinan II (just over 317 carats), also called the Second Star of Africa.

Ta, Warren. I remember reading somewhere that the Koh-i-Noor was removed from the Queen Mums after her death and placed on the State Crown?

:previous:
Wikipedia states the Koh-i-Nor has been removed from the Queen Mother's Crown but there is no attribution.
The British Monarchy website states the Koh-i-Nor is in the Queen Mother's Crown.

:previous:
Wikipedia states the Koh-i-Nor has been removed from the Queen Mother's Crown but there is no attribution.
The British Monarchy website states the Koh-i-Nor is in the Queen Mother's Crown.

The Kohinoor is a highly emotive, sensitive and politcal issue in India, with a section of the Indian population demanding that it be returned to India.

I would, therefore, be surprised if the Kohinoor diamond was moved around much. Its fine leaving it in a "historical" setting, ie the QMs crown, but I do not think it is likely to be appearing soon in use.

Given this background, it will be interesting how the issue is dealt with if Camilla were to be crowned using the Queen Mum's crown.

:whistling:In another matter, Why is the State Opening held so late in the year? Won't the parliament soon adjourn for Christmas?

Last edited by a moderator:
In another matter, Why is the State Opening held so late in the year? Won't the parliament soon adjourn for Christmas?
Parliament is often opened in November (and also in May). Much more rarely it sometimes happens in early December or late October. They don't really close for Christmas, at least not in the same way as they do for the summer.

In another matter, Why is the State Opening held so late in the year? Won't the parliament soon adjourn for Christmas?
Remember that their Christmas is in winter not summer like here so their Christmas break is much shorter than our will have because they have their long break in summer.

Sorry if this sounds condescending but my intention is simply to point out that the breaks our determined more by the weather rather than one of the main Christmas holidays.

Posts discussing a possible crown for Camilla have been moved here in the Royal Jewels forum.

I just finished watching the video, thanks for posting the link- such pomp and splendor, really wonderful!

Thanks for the pictures everyone. Even though it's only symbolic I just love the tradition of it and all the pomp.

:crown4:

State Opening of Parliament

25 May 2010

:coach:

Last edited:
State Opening of Parliament - UK Parliament

The State Opening of Parliament on Tuesday 25 May marks the formal start of the new 2010-11 parliamentary session. The primary purpose of this colourful state occasion is to set out the Government’s legislative agenda in the Queen’s Speech.

=====================================

The state opening of parliament will be televised live in the United Kingdom at 10:30am BST on BBC 1, and in the United States at 5:30am EDT on C-SPAN2.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip attend the State Opening of Parliament,
London May 25, 2010.

Political reforms, including a switch to fixed-term parliaments and cutting
the number of members of parliament, are likely to form part of the
coalition's first legislative program due to be announced by the Queen
at the state opening of parliament on Tuesday.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** zimbio/gettyimages : The State Opening Of Parliament **

That's all right. You will get the normal November opening next year (2011)when she next opens Parliament.

Interesting to see HM in gold instead of her usual white, and a necklace that is not immediately recognisable.

Great show - everything runs like clockwork !

This year, somehow, it has a different feel to it - maybe because of the anticipation of changes to come.

Are there any photos of they ladies-in-waiting in their finery? Also, didn't the peeress used to wear tiaras to the state opening? Do any of them still do?

At the End of the Video on you tube you can see some of the Ladies in the Chamber standing up with their Tiaras on The two Ladies in Waiting at todays Opening were the Baroness Farnham and Hon. Mary Morrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom