State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. Poor boy, kids can be cruel.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he receives a letter wishing him good health and thank you for serving or something along those lines. Now that would be something to show his school mates eh?

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he receives a letter wishing him good health and thank you for serving or something along those lines. Now that would be something to show his school mates eh?

Oh, I agree with you. And what a story he'll have to tell his grandchildren one day! :lol:

No it wasn't, it was Viscount Airlie (?spelling?). And now of course its all over twitter and in the papers so he will be getting a hard time at school!

And facebook, and youtube, AND Google. Though if he gets teased at school for this I personally would shrug it off, they way I see it is Lord Arlie was chosen to be HM's Page of Honour and the other kids weren't!

Just watching a clip of the moment, I was both amused and in awe of the Queen's reaction - her complete unruffled response. Only years of experience can give you that ability to focus on the task in hand. Just a slight sideways glance at the end of a sentence without detracting from the delivery of the speech. Wonderful.

instead of calling the coach State Coach Britannia, it's not being formally called The Diamond Jubilee State Coach. I must mean the world to Jim Frecklington that that his hard work in developing this carriage has finally made it to The Queen and is being used officially.

I like the Diamond Jubilee State Coach.
I like the fact that the crown atop the roof is carved from timber from Lord Nelson's HMS Victory.
I like the fact that there are timber segments from Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, Windsor Castle, Edinburgh Castle, Kensington Palace, and other buildings which were inlaid into the interior of the coach.
Very historic!

Martin @CourtierUK · 10h 10 hours ago
The State Opening of Parliament will take place on 27th May, it’s announced.

Martin @CourtierUK · 10h 10 hours ago
The State Opening of Parliament will take place on 27th May, it’s announced.

Lets just hope we have a new government in place by then.

Just wondering. Does the monarch (or is the monarch allowed to) wear the Imperial State crown for the opening of parliament if they haven't been crowned, i.e. before their coronation?

Did Edward VIII where it (or any crown) when he opened parliament in November 1936? Same question for The Queen in 1952?

Just wondering. Does the monarch (or is the monarch allowed to) wear the Imperial State crown for the opening of parliament if they haven't been crowned, i.e. before their coronation?

Did Edward VIII where it (or any crown) when he opened parliament in November 1936? Same question for The Queen in 1952?

No, King Edward VIII did not wear a crown. He even preferred to ride from Buckingham Palace to Westminster making use of royal limousines, instead of the traditional carriages.

:flowers:

In 1952 Queen Elizabeth used the traditional carriages. She wore King George IV's State Diadem during the Queen's Speech, so wore no crown indeed.

Last edited:
Lumutqueen,

This isn't a British State opening of Parliament. None of the buildings resemble the Palace of Westminster, and the elaborate coach isn't one that belongs to the Royal Mews.

I think it's indeed the opening of Parliament, but in the Netherlands ...

Agree Nico - looks like Q Julianna

No, King Edward VIII did not wear a crown. He even preferred to ride from Buckingham Palace to Westminster making use of royal limousines, instead of the traditional carriages.

:flowers:

In 1952 Queen Elizabeth used the traditional carriages. She wore King George IV's State Diadem during the Queen's Speech, so wore no crown indeed.

Fascinating, thanks for the info. So the George IV State Diadem that Queen Elizabeth wears back and forth to parliament for the state opening was worn continuously during her visit to parliament that day in 1952 including during the Queen's Speech. In other years the Diadem was replaced by the Imperial State Crown for the Speech and then she resumed wearing the Diadem. Interesting stuff.

Video:
Colonel Geoffrey Godbold, Common Cryer and Sergeant-At-Arms, reads the proclamation of the dissolution of the Parliament GODBOLD UPSOT- by the The Queen, a proclamation for the calling of a new parliament to meet our people and have their advice in Parliament hereby make known.. Call a new parliament, Monday 18th day of May next under our great seal of our realm.. Serve in the same parliament, give attendance This day God save the Queen-

Home - ITNSource News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfg14tX--ZE

Last edited:
The State Opening of Parliament 2015: BBC One- Live TV Coverage 10:30am
Huw Edwards presents coverage of the Queen's Speech from Westminster. A unique combination of pageantry and politics opens the first session of the new parliament, as Her Majesty the Queen outlines the government's plans for the coming year-
BBC One - The State Opening of Parliament, 27/05/2015

USA TV:
C-Span-
State Opening of Parliament: Airing LIVE Wednesday, May 27 5:30am EDT on C-SPAN 2-

Queen Elizabeth II delivers a speech at Westminster to mark the formal State Opening of Parliament, during which she outlines the British government’s priorities for the upcoming year-
State Opening Parliament | Video | C-SPAN.org

Outside of UK Viewers:
tvpc.com - BBC 1

USA TV:
C-Span-
State Opening of Parliament: Airing LIVE Wednesday, May 27 5:30am EDT on C-SPAN 2-

Queen Elizabeth II delivers a speech at Westminster to mark the formal State Opening of Parliament, during which she outlines the British government’s priorities for the upcoming year-
State Opening Parliament | Video | C-SPAN.org

Thanks much Dman. I wouldn't have had any clue of where to look. Its one of those times when my sleep schedule is all out of whack yet again so I've got it programmed in to watch. :flowers:

The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, traveled in the Diamond Jubilee State Coach to the Palace of Westminster to open a new session of Parliament. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were also in attendance. They traveled in the Irish State Coach.

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - The State Opening Of Parliament - Zimbio

2015 Queen's Speech and State Opening of Parliament, in pictures - Telegraph

Queen's Speech for 'those who work hard and do the right thing' | Daily Mail Online

She looks great.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/05/27/11/291B2C6D00000578-3098853-image-a-58_1432721315759.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/05/27/12/291BFC2900000578-3098853-image-a-105_1432725270069.jpg

Last edited:
Especially the Duchess of Cornwall looked spectacular. That for the shallow side. For the most serious side (the Government's plans): no comment (as I am not British).

I won't comment on the speech and government policy either, but let me just say that I think The Queen looked much less frail this year than last year.

I won't comment on the speech and government policy either, but let me just say that I think The Queen looked much less frail this year than last year.

She does look well Phillip is looking very frail as you would expect at his age.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

No, they don't do that. Edward VIII wore a cocked admirals hat at his (only) opening of Parliament. I think the Queen wore George IV's tiara in 1952.

Gerard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom