State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EIIR said:
It might just have been me, but today's speech seemed to be incredibly short. Maybe that's deliberate on the government's part, given HM's age and the weight of the crown etc.

The Australian State Coach is a real beauty. The little gold cherubs on the roof are stunning.

There were a lot of comments to do with the only 19 bills speech read today. I doubt it has much to do with HM more with them not trying to offend anyway.

ladongas said:
Why does the Princess Royal wear a uniform on an occasion like this? Does she usually wear the uniform at the State Opening of Parliament?

Anne usually wears a uniform for royal events like this.

Why does the Princess Royal wear a uniform on an occasion like this? Does she usually wear the uniform at the State Opening of Parliament?

Strictly speaking she was not there in her capacity as Princess Royal but in a military role (Colonel of The Blues & Royals) and Gold Stick in Waiting.

Last edited:
It might just have been me, but today's speech seemed to be incredibly short.

Time-wise, it was only 20 seconds shorter than the speech in 2010. 2009's was over a minute shorter than today's, although the session of Parliament was only expected to last five months. In 1958, it was about a minute and 40 seconds longer than today, but part of it was an acknowledgement that it was the first to be read on television.

Last edited:
So lovely to see Charles and Arthur there as Pages, it is lovely that the Queen includes her niece's and nephew's family in her roles at Queen. Great images of Prince Philip too, that man makes me so cheerful! I would honestly love him as a grandfather! I reckon he would be endless fun.

Beautiful pictures :flowers:
Especially this one :rose:
I was sooo hoping that was the picture you had here. I thought that was such a lovely picture of the Queen - you could see the eyes and head tilt of a young girl in her wistful smile. just poetry.

Her Majesty looked fabulous, as usual. This occasion has been my favorite to watch ever since I started following 'Prime Minister's Questions' (though now I don't watch that program anymore).

My most sincere apologies for the bombardment, but I thought I'd post a link to C-SPAN's video of the State Opening of Parliament in its' entirety.
State Opening of Parliament - C-SPAN Video Library

Last edited by a moderator:
It might just have been me, but today's speech seemed to be incredibly short. Maybe that's deliberate on the government's part, given HM's age and the weight of the crown etc.

I somehow doubt that the government would adjust its legislative programme to take account of the wieght of the crown on HMs head, or her age. Don't you? :flowers:

I somehow doubt that the government would adjust its legislative programme to take account of the wieght of the crown on HMs head, or her age. Don't you? :flowers:

They don't put every single proposed bill in the Queen's Speech. This government has been having such a bad time lately that I thought they'd use the speech as an opportunity to relaunch their programme, but it just seemed almost like they couldn't be bothered.

I'm still utterly disgusted by the Lords Reform act. I find it almost undignifying for Her Majesty to announce proposals of effectively removing her power to choose 80% of HER Lords. They should be chosen by Her and the Lords Appointment Commision (which has her Royal Assent) alone.
Also the Gentlemen Usher of the Great Sword of State, an Air Chief Marshall, was a bit dodgy on his feet. He was appauling at keeping in step when he exited the carriage but I think he has a walking problem. ACM Sir Jock Stirrup did a much better job when he took over control midway through the ceremony. One day I'll see a competent officer marching, one day.

When one wears the collar of an order they do not also wear the sash. If Philip is wearing the collar of the order of the Garter he usually wears the sash of the Order of the Thistle.

Thank you for your reply.

The gold chain is definitely the Order of the Garter. I can't work out what the order is around his neck - any idea?

Is the order of the thistle sash green?

Thank you for your reply.

The gold chain is definitely the Order of the Garter. I can't work out what the order is around his neck - any idea?

Is the order of the thistle sash green?

The neck badge is the Order of Merit and yes Thistle sash is green.

Tut tut tut major bling ahead !

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend the State Opening of Parliament on Wednesday, 8th May. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will be accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Last edited:
Camilla will wear the Dehli Durbar, only thing that matches the occasion well enough.

Camilla will wear the Dehli Durbar, only thing that matches the occasion well enough.

I hope not, it always look like something out of a Miss World contest. I much prefer the glitter of the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara.

I am actually surprised that Charles & Camilla will be in attendance. I thought that attendance by other royals pretty much stopped after the reforms to the House of Lords removed the hereditary peers. I wonder what this signals.

Last edited:
Tut tut tut major bling ahead !

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend the State Opening of Parliament on Wednesday, 8th May. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will be accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

That's great news. But i can not understand why they never do. At last Charles as Heir should always attend.

That's great news. But i can not understand why they never do. At last Charles as Heir should always attend.

NGalitzine said Charles stopped going after the HOL reforms. I imagine this has more to do with Elizabeths illness.

I wonder what this signals.

IMO the signal is quite the same as the diamond jubilee 's balcony scene : we are now in a transitional phase and the next reign is getting closer.
The recent health scares from HM and the Duke didn't help to dissipate the sad feeling that we are in a turning point in HM 's reign...

Last edited:
Her Majesty The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh will attend The State Opening of Parliament on May 8th 2013 and will accompanied by Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall.

Royal regalia time royal watchers.

I think The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall should attend the State Opening every year. I do miss seeing the royal family attend this grand event. I think it's one of the most important event on the royal calendar next to a Coronation.

I'm very happy about this. When Charles & Diana used to attend, they used to ride in the carriage with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and they used to sit in the Chairs of State on the dais next to The Queen & Prince Philip. I guess this how it will go this year.

Very true, times are changing and the Wales's & Cambridge's will be stepping up their roles. It's sad in one way and a great sense of renewal in another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall should attend the State Opening every year. I do miss seeing the royal family attend this grand event. I think it's one of the most important event on the royal calendar next to a Coronation.

Just for the jewels alone it would be fantastic!

Very glad this tradition is being revived and looking forward to seeing which tiaras come out for the occasion.

Hmm..Glad that Prince of Wales is attending, whatever the reason.
Anyways Princess Royal attends almost every year, but then as The Gold Stick, and not as a Peeress..
I love those vintage footages of '60s when all four of them used to arrive together in the carriage to The Parliament..preceded by Kents, Gloucesters, Snowdons..

It used to be beautiful to see the family attend this very important event.

Yup..and you know what amused me most..
Princess Marina, Duchess of kent, Duchess of Gloucester,Countess of Snowdon..They used to enter in the same order.
And the whole rows of Peeresses used to make deep curtsies synchronously each time one of these women entered. Nice scene.
And finally when the Queen enters, all of them, including theses 4 women would again make a super-deep curtsey..
I think that video is on Youtube..State Opening on 60s, I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom