The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Moderator Emeritus

The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital and the Queen will be accompanied by the Prince of Wales.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent

The Telegraph‏ @Telegraph
Watch live: The Queen's Speech in Parliament

https://www.pscp.tv/Telegraph/1OwxWAQqOlMGQ

Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

No mention of a US State Visit to the UK in the speech, people are saying that means it's cancelled.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

So NO Donald Trump State visit this year and possibly not during this two year parliamentary session - after HM the Queen only mentions the Kings of Spain state visit in the gracious speech..
Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Royal Highness

Or perhaps the date has not yet been set.... I can't imagine 2018 without a single State visit...
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen did mention that the UK was going to host CHOGM next year so that may be instead of an incoming State Visit and to reduce the workload on the Queen only one incoming State Visit each year from now on.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

'Is she trying to make a statement?' Twitter erupts as the Queen delivers speech outlining Brexit plans wearing a hat that looks suspiciously like a EUROPEAN flag

So strange to see her sit there without Philip!!
Prince Philip admitted to hospital before Queen's speech | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
No mention of a US State Visit to the UK in the speech, people are saying that means it's cancelled.
I think it's safe to say that the visit hasn't been confirmed, otherwise it would have been mentioned in the Queen's Speech. However, can the visit still happen (if confirmed later) even if it is not in the speech ?

We don't know either how long this parliament will last. If Theresa May's government falls, there may well be another Queen's Speech later this year, although that is still unlikely at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Even stranger to see how frail and aged Prince Charles looked. Especially considering he is the Queen's replacement !

BTW, it seemed to me that Jeremy Corbyn didn't bow when he entered the House of Lords as Theresa May and other MPs did. Am I right or did I just miss it ?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Full speech

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ns-speech-2017
Old 06-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
However, can the visit still happen (if confirmed later) even if it is not in the speech ?
Yes, sometimes the whole process from the invitation to the visit occurs between speeches, so some visits never get announced in one. For example, the President of Mexico visited in March 2015, but it wasn't mentioned in the 2014 speech. But it was mentioned in the Queen's prorogation speech (which as usual she didn't deliver in person) after the fact:

"The Duke of Edinburgh and I were pleased to welcome His Excellency the President of Singapore and his wife, and His Excellency the President of Mexico and his wife on their visits to the United Kingdom. We enjoyed a warm welcome on our visit to France, which coincided with an invitation to attend the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landings."
Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

It was too hot yesterday for a 96 old man in Ascot.
I think we will se more and more the Queen with the Prince of Wales
Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen mentioned in her opening speech the state visit of the Kings of Spain to the United Kingdom to be held from July 12 to 14: "Prince Philip and I yearn to receive his Majesty King Philip and Queen Letizia Of Spain in July. "
The Queen did not speak of Donald Trump's visit, which indicates that it will have been canceled.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There have been several reports hitting our news feed that as The Queen did not mention a state visit from the US to the UK, it has been postponed or canceled. This, however is still speculation as there has been no official word from the White House on the matter as of yet.

It may be postponed or even canceled and perhaps its just that the date has not been set yet. We'll see what happens when it happens.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Even stranger to see how frail and aged Prince Charles looked. Especially considering he is the Queen's replacement !
I don't think Charles looked frail at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I think we will se more and more the Queen with the Prince of Wales
We will probably see HM with a lots of family members. We've seen her with William on two occasions after the so-called retirement announcement of Philip, and since he (William) is close to her, then I ecpect seing more of him accompanying her. But on occasions like today, we will (I think) see her with Charles.

The State Opening from the BBC - without commentary:
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

No Charles don't look frail, but he always look bored at this event. I always think he rather be reading these speeches. Those days are coming though.

The Queen looked beautiful at the State Opening.

I too noticed the US State Visit wasn't mentioned, but the Spanish State Visit was. I really don't blame the U.K. for not embracing the Visit.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Lets not assume anything until we have the absolute facts. There could be many reasons why the state visit was not mentioned. We do not know that the UK "isn't embracing" a state visit from the USA.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Commoner

A state visit of a US president to the UK is always a big thing and would not be announced until all details are sorted out.

Unless there's any official announcement on this, not being mentioned in the speech doesn't mean much.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Majesty

I thought it all looked stylish. My advice would be: drape the ermine mantle over the throne, à la Sweden and place the Imperial State Crown an a cushion close to the throne. It will help the Queen not to wear a heavy crown and mantle. In my personal opinion it is also a bit awkward to see a lady, bedecked by unbelievable priceless jewels, announcing cuts and taxes to be imposed in the coming legislature. A bit of finetuning is enough. The ceremonials like the carriage ride, the colourful pageantry, the ceremonials etc. will remain.

We have seen changed anyway: no more the backward walking of the Lord Chancellor after offering the Speech. No more wigs on the Speakers of both Houses. Peerresses without long robes and big jewels. Things have been changing slowly.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

It appears that my eyes had not deceived me after all: indeed, Jeremy Corby did not bow to the Queen when he entered the House of Lords and the British press (or at least the Tory press) has noted it. Was Corbyn right, however, not to bow while Theresa May was wrong to do it ? The article below addresses that question.

Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'snubbing' the Queen - but was Labour leader following protocol?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Commoner

Nowadays, bowing and curtseying should always be optional. No one should be criticised for doing it or not doing it.

And to be honest I think the Queen couldn't care less. I think there'll be a time when royals will ask people not to do it. At I would be embarrassed.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii