The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Election 2017: May meets MPs after Cabinet reshuffle - BBC News

The BBC understands the Queen’s Speech will be delayed by a few days. It had been due to take place next Monday.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Election 2017: May meets MPs after Cabinet reshuffle - BBC News

The BBC understands the Queen’s Speech will be delayed by a few days. It had been due to take place next Monday.

I know the election came as a bit of a surprise, as did the results, but I can't help but feel sorry for those who organise the ceremonial! Cancel Garter Day, postponed the State Opening, now potentially interfere with a days racing at Ascot. The whole thing is a bit of a shambles really.

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
I know the election came as a bit of a surprise, as did the results, but I can't help but feel sorry for those who organise the ceremonial! Cancel Garter Day, postponed the State Opening, now potentially interfere with a days racing at Ascot. The whole thing is a bit of a shambles really.
The original Queen's Speech to be delivered next week was suitable for a majority government. Now that there will be a minority Conservative government backed by the DUP, significant portions of the speech will have to be rewritten and a final version won't be ready anyway until the agreement with the DUP is finalized. There was no alternative then but to postpone the State Opening of Parliament.

Since the Queen's Speech ceremonial was already going to be toned down this year, I don't think the delay will cause too many problems.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The problem is not with the ceremonial for the State Opening - other than changing to the arrangements to move the Crown from the Tower so adjusting security arrangements around that.

They may have some changes to Ascot as well which may disappoint people if the Queen has to miss a day at the races.

The hubris of May bites again it seems.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Royal Highness

At this point its not clear if the Speech has been delayed, already they are saying its in part because the Speech is written on vellum so needs time to dry (sounds quite funny really). I suspect as the Queen will be attending (whenever the Speech actually goes ahead) in day dress not gown, robe and crown many would find it acceptable for the speech (which we do not see apart from the cover) to be printed on paper.

Also people pointing out that the Queen had to cancel the Garter Day service to make way for the original Speech from the Throne. I suspect the Queen will be even less impressed if she now has to cancel Garter day and now also miss a day of Ascot.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queens Speech is rescheduled for next Wednesday 21st. We have an Ascot Clash.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

What does this speech exactly entail?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queen reads out what the new government intends to do for the next year. It's harder right now because the conservatives don't hold a majority, so their policies will change if the DUP joins them under a coalition banner.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

The BBC is reporting that the Queen's Speech is now due to take place next Wednesday. The State Opening of Parliament was originally scheduled to take place on Monday, June 19, but it had to be postponed as the Conservatives finalize a deal with the DUP to support PM Theresa May's new minority government.

Queen's Speech to take place next week - BBC News
Old 06-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just to say, it's been said that The Queens Speech will go ahead regardless of a coalition formed. Which makes things super tricky.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Nobility

A silly question about the Queen's dress code (the absolute least important aspect of the State Opening, I know, but I'm curious all the same):

Is the shift down to day dress a matter of having the formality of her attire match the formality of the conveyance from the palace to Westminster? In other words, wear the gown and crown if using horses and carriages, wear a day dress if the procession is downgraded to cars--and for this event it's not ok to mix and match?

Someone earlier, on this forum if not on this thread, explained that the lesser formality was due to lack of time to rehearse the horses. At first I couldn't figure out why that impacted her clothing. And I guess I'm just still not sure I've got it sorted out correctly.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

Apparently HMQ is determined she will make it to Ascot in time for the first race on Wednesday, so it'll be interesting to see how speedily the 'speech from the throne' is read...
Old 06-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

She has done the State Opening of Parliament and Ascot on the same day in the past so assuming the government allows for the speech to be early enough in the day she should be able to get to Ascot as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quick drive from Windsor to Parliament (no carriages as its a 'dressed down' version), read speech which takes 10 mins tops, drive back to Windsor in time for Ascot. I know it takes longer with the Queen meeting people etc but suspect if we are ever going to see it done at lightning speed this will be the year!

Edit
BBC reports Queen will be there on day 2 once speech is over
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/40290516
Old 06-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps this is one occasion where we could honestly say that wild horses couldn't keep the Queen from Ascot.

I think if there's anything that HM looks forward to every year, Ascot would be it. Or... any races for that matter. Its something that the Queen has had a passion for all her life. I'm betting that she's really glad that its a more dressed down opening of Parliament this year and can dash in, read her speech and dash out to the races.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:22 PM

No return to ceremonial next year either! 2018 State Opening cancelled!

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-17/q...eliver-brexit/

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/polit...-a3567436.html

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The original Queen's Speech to be delivered next week was suitable for a majority government. Now that there will be a minority Conservative government backed by the DUP, significant portions of the speech will have to be rewritten and a final version won't be ready anyway until the agreement with the DUP is finalized. There was no alternative then but to postpone the State Opening of Parliament.

Since the Queen's Speech ceremonial was already going to be toned down this year, I don't think the delay will cause too many problems.
Anew speech can be written in two hours. It is not sending troops to war.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Majesty

The news is unsurprising due to the extraordinary circumstances. The government has a complicated agenda to deal with.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Anew speech can be written in two hours. It is not sending troops to war.
The writing of the speech isn't the problem. It is getting it onto the right type of paper in time. The Queen doesn't read it from a word-processed document but from a type of parchment and that takes more than two hours to get organised.

I have never understood why the Brits need to do an 'Opening of Parliament' every year anyway. Here is Oz we do one with each new government (nothing as ceremonial as the Brits but still). So the GG went to Parliament House last year, after our election, opened the parliament and won't do so again until after the next election. Following that idea then the Queen won't need to do another one for up to five years.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Courtier

I guess it's over. Those days.. That pageantry.. and all.. Suddenly in 2019 it may seem a totally unnecessary extravaganza in "tough times".. Let alone how the Queen will be..
I really pray it doesn't happen, but..

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii