The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...52850255261697
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...53217969901568
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...54517352730624

Wow. I hear there will be no carriage procession, limited ceremonial inside Westminster and the Queen won't be wearing her crown or gown.

Instead the Imperial State Crown, sword and cap will all be carried in before the Queen, who will be wearing day dress.

Am told because military/cavalry etc involved with Trooping on June 17, they can't prepare for State Opening too. So all ceremonial reduced.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Majesty

Possible reasons?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Possible reasons?
An obvious reason may be the Queen's old age (with the proximity to the Trooping day providing a convenient excuse). It remains to be seen if it will become a permanent change that will also apply to future British monarchs.

I know some British posters on TRF might disagree, but , as we see in other European monarchies, it is possible to keep a certain degree of formality and decorum that is expected from a monarchy without sticking to archaic rituals and ceremonies.

In fact, at this point, I am not sure if Charles will even have a coronation, especially given the controversy over Camilla being crowned or not, which might serve as a pretext to replace the coronation with a Dutch-like investiture ceremony instead.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 AM

State Opening of Parliament 2002-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...47246677766149
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...47431139061761
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...54517352730624

Breaking: the Queen has cancelled this years' Order of the Garter Service so she can take part in the State Opening of Parliament on June 19.

But given the revised calendar, the State Opening will take place with 'reduced ceremonial elements'.

I wonder what all ceremonial reduced will equate to??

I have heard of a State Opening in the 1970s (possibly 74) which was a reduced version, no carriages etc and perhaps day dress for The Queen but I can't find any pictures etc to confirm exactly what happened.

What I find strange here is that a State Opening was due anyway; this isn't a surprise or 'an extra' one caused by the election.

Last year there were concessions for The Queen's age, such as the lift, however this all seems a bit much all at once.

God Save The Queen!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It was the one in early 1974, when there was a severe recession. I know I've seen footage of her arrival, I think on the ITN Source site, but I can't find it now.

Edit: Found it. There's nothing from inside, though.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Folks, all the full ceremonial stuff will return next year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

From the BBC explaining.

Note comment from BP "nothing to do with her age"

'Dressed down' Queen to appear at State Opening - BBC News

Its happened before:

For June State Opening, it'll be a "dressed down " Queen -- no robes or crown. Last happened after March 1974 snap election.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Although, we'll start seeing The Queen stop wearing the Imperial State Crown at the Opening at some point. Due to her age. It's just not the case right now.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular from 1974 when the Queen went alone by car.

Via Matthew Purvis‏*@HLLibResearch (House of Lords Library)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-asgd2XkAAyj6H.jpg

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
From the BBC explaining.

Note comment from BP "nothing to do with her age"

'Dressed down' Queen to appear at State Opening - BBC News

Its happened before:

For June State Opening, it'll be a "dressed down " Queen -- no robes or crown. Last happened after March 1974 snap election.

Under the golden rule of the press, if the Palace emphatically denies that it has "anything to do with her age", everybody will conclude age was an issue.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
@BBCPeterHunt
March 1974---the last time a "dressed down" Queen attended the State Opening of Parliament-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...97751642738689

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-Opening.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Under the golden rule of the press, if the Palace emphatically denies that it has "anything to do with her age", everybody will conclude age was an issue.
As shown above, this all happened before in 1974. So this has nothing to do with her age. Yes, at some point she will probably stop wearing the Imperial State Crown due to her age. This is not the case at the moment though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
In fact, at this point, I am not sure if Charles will even have a coronation, especially given the controversy over Camilla being crowned or not, which might serve as a pretext to replace the coronation with a Dutch-like investiture ceremony instead.
Charles's coronation is already being planned (Operation Golden Orb).
Old 04-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've come to realize about the British is that if they cannot do something totally prepared, they don't do it. With the State Opening of Parliament quite sudden and unexpected, rather than go ahead with the full blown pomp and circumstances the day would require, they've opted out for a shortened, bare bones opening. Its not really surprising when we stop to think about it.

Of course in previous years, there has been a time when the Queen opened parliament and then headed over to Windsor for Ascot but at 91 years young, it would be quite taxing for her I bet. In this case, I'm seeing the Queen put duty before anything else and opening parliament, albeit a bare bones opening, and it would be too much on her to rush back to Windsor and don all the ceremonial regalia and hold the Order of the Garter service. So, in a way, HM is honoring what needs to be done today rather than participating in an age old tradition.

Just don't mess with HM's Ascot races. That just wouldn't do.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen will 'dress down' the State Opening | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
In a statement Buckingham palace said today: 'As announced by government, The State Opening of Parliament will take place on Monday 19th June following the General Election.

'To allow Her Majesty to attend in support of the parliamentary and constitutional process, The Queen's programme of engagements has been revised.

' As a result, the annual service for the Order of the Garter, which had been due to take place on 19th June, has been cancelled. Knights of the Garter and others due to attend have been informed.

' Additionally, owing to the revised calendar, the State Opening of Parliament will take place with reduced ceremonial elements. '
And as Peter Hunt says on twitter, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall won't be at the State Opening. Likely to return next year. (along with the carriages).
Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect when she feels like the Imperial State Crown is too much for her, she too will have the Crown carried before her-
https://mobile.twitter.com/MajestyMa...11892844707841

People can't expect The Queen to wear it until the end. Besides, her State Diadem would be nice for her to wear during the whole ceremony.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The Queen will 'dress down' the State Opening | Daily Mail Online

And as Peter Hunt says on twitter, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall won't be at the State Opening. Likely to return next year. (along with the carriages).
I'm finding all this fascinating. I would have been completely uninterested the last time this occurred - I had not yet experienced my personal royal awakening. . Now, I need to go read some history so that I have context beyond that provided by the DM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Majesty

The situation with the 2017 State Opening of Parliament was mishandled by the Windsor Palace. Explanations sounded awkward. For example, "Officials insist the temporary changes have nothing to do with the Queen's age. Normal ceremonial service will resume next year."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-...ments-39731596
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Everything sounds fine to me.

The government called a snap election. They have to have a State Opening of Parliament within a few weeks of that election.

They had to come up with a date and the possible dates meant clashing with Garter and Ascot week.

Having decided it had to be that week then something had to give.

As many of the carriages etc are used on the Saturday and then again at Ascot they need time to move them from BP to Windsor - not the big ones of course but the open carriages.

They also need time for the cavalry to rehearse for both ceremonies and they are different requirements for each one with rehearsals often taking place in the early hours of the morning. The horses also go away for their annual break from Horseguards after Trooping the Colour.

It is clear that the scaled down ceremony is to do with the horses not being able to be properly rehearsed for two totally different ceremonies within two days of each other.

So if no cavalry available then no closed coaches and so cars being used.

That means that the Queen will also wear day dress rather than the full evening dress - as she has done before when circumstances dictated a quick turnaround for the State Opening after a snap election.

There is a precedent here and it is being followed.

No mishandling at all - just disappointment for those who like the pomp and ceremony.

Sad for the Garter after last year's washed affair with no walk down to the Chapel and now no ceremony at all. (I wonder is that is why there were no new knights announced last Sunday on St George's Day - that the Queen already knew that there would be no Garter Ceremony following the election).

This may mean no return to the full ceremonial - if all goes well why have it may become the call? More than likely though the full ceremonial will be back next year with Charles and Camilla also in attendance unlike this year when they won't be and one less chance to snipe at Kate and what she is wearing on those sites that prefer to do that sort of thing.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:47 AM

There have been suggestions this morning that The Queen may not deliver her speech in person if the Government cannot assure her that it will be voted through.

From BBC

What role does the Queen play?
The leader of the party that can tell the Queen they have a workable Commons majority is the one Her Majesty will authorise to form a government.
By convention, the Queen does not get involved in party politics, so there are no circumstances in which she would choose the prime minister.
There have been suggestions that she may not deliver the Queen's Speech in person if there's a question mark over whether it will get voted through.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40209087

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-10-2017, 02:18 AM
Majesty

To be honest, I think TPTB will be more than happy with this situation following the terrorist attacks. It gives them more time to revise the planning for such events. However, I have no doubt it will be back to normal next year. That's what the people of the UK expect and the number of tourists visiting is not to be sneezed at either.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii