The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Nobility

Oh for goodness' sake, don't for an instant over-state the power of the House of Lords. They have almost no real power, they can only delay legislation, not stop it. All the power in the UK rests in the directly elected House of Commons which can create, stop and alter legislation with a simple majority. They can also over-ride the House of Lords if they reject legislation.

The House of Lords is one of the weakest 2nd chambers in the Western world. They have no veto power over legislation, they cannot originate bills concerning taxation or supply, they cannot oppose a bill which was included in the governing party's manifesto, even their ability to delay bills is curtailed by time restraints.

Their members are not directly elected, they are appointed by each of the parties of the House of Commons generally depending on their relative strengths at general elections. Or by an Independent Appointments Commission who appoint non-party political members. They're also not paid a salary.

There has been much gnashing of teeth about whether to make the HoL an elected chamber but I sense little appetite for it among the public. Holding yet more expensive elections when we already have one elected chamber seems silly to most people. The HoL does a pretty good job of scrutinising legislation and is full of all sorts of experts in many fields who simply would not stand for election if it became an elected chamber. It would be filled with yet more career politicians who know nothing of the real world.

The British system of government is not perfect but please, could people be careful before accusing us Brits of being like Russia?!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
The British system of government is not perfect but please, could people be careful before accusing us Brits of being like Russia?!
I think some people enjoy showing disdain for certain countries/monarchies luckily we only write opinions on these boards and very rarely facts

Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I do think the British royals have been bullied when it comes to their jewels. The other monarchies have made it known that it's very possible to remain relevant and modern, all while maintaining their beauty and glamour.

Other European royals are frequently seen wearing their jewels, but the continental monarchies , at least after the fall of the great royal houses (France, Austria, Russia, etc.) and in some countries even long before that, have done away with coronations. Countries like Sweden or Spain have exquisite physical crowns, but the king never wears it. Britain is the exception.

I have nothing against a state opening of parliament and a speech from throne. I just don't see the point of forcing the queen to wear a heavy piece like the crown, especially at her age.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

So I am sure we will see a reform, sooner or later. When the House of Lords will change in an elected body and no longer an assembly of appointed Peers and Peeresses, of appointed Lords Spiritual (Anglican Bishops and Archbishops), of appointed Law Lords (justices), etc. the State Opening will have a total different look. Mark my words.

Not much of a reform, but I believe the new Law Lords (justices) are no longer members of the HoL as there is now something called the Supreme Court of the UK, which has replaced the HoL as the highest court in the land. Only justices who were created life peers in the past (i.e before the reform) still have the right to attend the HoL, but I'm not sure if they do.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Only justices who were created life peers in the past (i.e before the reform) still have the right to attend the HoL, but O'm not sure if they do.
When the Supreme Court was created, justices who had peerages were prohibited from speaking or voting in the House of Lords until they leave the court.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
When the Supreme Court was created, justices who had peerages were prohibited from speaking or voting in the House of Lords until they leave the court.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I have nothing against a state opening of parliament and a speech from throne. I just don't see the point of forcing the queen to wear a heavy piece like the crown, especially at her age.
For most Brits continuity and symbolism are important. The pomp surrounding the Queen's speech at the State Opening of Parliament is what we expect - were the Queen to abandon the crown/the heavy train etc. it would appear a diminished event and the Queen's role similarly so. Yes it is perhaps logical to make things easier for an elderly monarch and update the wearing of the regalia but I believe we Brits are sensitive such changes and it wouldn't play out well.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 AM
Majesty

Sad but true. Although I see a time in the future when the actual crown will be ceremonially carried in front of HM and placed in place of honour during the State Opening.

Just thinking, and also remembering HM reign, so maybe not. Sheer determination alone may carry her through to the end.

Whichever way it happens, it will be her choice.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

It isn't broken, so why the need to fix it ? Just because the continental royals do it one way, why do we need to ape them ? Our royal family didn't start trundling around on bicycles when the Dutch royals [temporarily] did so...
The continuity and symbolism of 'the King in Parliament' embodied in the State opening [as now constituted] is part of the warp and weft of life here, and why should everything be standardised to 'European models' , whose history is SO different from ours ?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus

There has been one time in the Queen's reign when she attended the opening of parliament but all the ceremonial was set aside. In March 1974, the economic situation was so bad that she traveled by car and wore day dress, with none of the usual processions, etc. happening.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

There were two elections that year and so two State Openings, but only one of these was scaled down.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
There were two elections that year and so two State Openings, but only one of these was scaled down.

I remember reading about the March 1974 State Opening before. I've read the court circular entry in the times archive and it does say The Queen drove in a motor car to the peers entrance and then opened Parliament. But The Times had no photos of the event.

Has anyone ever seen photos of The Queen attending this very different style State Opening?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

God Save The Queen!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Wow, well that sucks. Totally makes you think whIle at the same time bringing the part down.
Actually I think Mr Putin -with all his faults- has hit an open nerve there. Nowhere in the modern West-European democracies there is a second Chamber entirely with (more than 600!!) non-elected parliamentarians. Yes, like the Bundeskammer in Germany, the Sénat in France, the Eerste Kamer in the Netherlands, the Senado in Spain, etc. the powers are limited but after all the citizens have had a vote, directly or indirectly (via the regions). It is easy to classify it as "that sucks" but one can also look with an objective eye and see what the House of Lords actually is.

Things are changing. The Scots are ramming on the gates for more powers. The new Government wants to abolish the European Convention on Human Rights and replace it with something new. A referendum on the EU is coming. Don't act like never ever nothing will change in the system of Westminster. My assessment is that it will happen sooner than we all expect. When it becomes a "normal" elected body and being a Lord or Lady with title is no longer a requirement, we automatically will see a visual change in the State Opening of Parliament and future Coronations. Mark my words.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
I remember reading about the March 1974 State Opening before. I've read the court circular entry in the times archive and it does say The Queen drove in a motor car to the peers entrance and then opened Parliament. But The Times had no photos of the event.

Has anyone ever seen photos of The Queen attending this very different style State Opening?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
I've searched online and can't seem to find any, I imagine there were cameras there? Unless it was so low key it wasn't filmed or photographed?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
It isn't broken, so why the need to fix it ? Just because the continental royals do it one way, why do we need to ape them ? Our royal family didn't start trundling around on bicycles when the Dutch royals [temporarily] did so...
The continuity and symbolism of 'the King in Parliament' embodied in the State opening [as now constituted] is part of the warp and weft of life here, and why should everything be standardised to 'European models' , whose history is SO different from ours ?
Has anyone said it has to change? I only said the current system with the unelected House of Lords will change, the whole Britain is changing anyway, ask Nicola's troops...

And when the current system of Westminster changes, it will also have consequences for how the current State Opening of Parliament looks. Many of the old "traditions" are newly invented anyway. A State Opening today is vast different from a State Opening under Queen Victoria. For an example: the current building was not yet as we know it when Queen Victoria came on the throne. The current ceremony in the House of Lords was newly invented when the first State Opening started to take place in that venue. It is not that all vested in un-destroyable concrete...
Old 05-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Has anyone said it has to change? I only said the current system with the unelected House of Lords will change, the whole Britain is changing anyway, ask Nicola's troops...

And when the current system of Westminster changes, it will also have consequences for how the current State Opening of Parliament looks. Many of the old "traditions" are newly invented anyway. A State Opening today is vast different from a State Opening under Queen Victoria. For an example: the current building was not yet as we know it when Queen Victoria came on the throne. The current ceremony in the House of Lords was newly invented when the first State Opening started to take place in that venue. It is not that all vested in un-destroyable concrete...

And the British State opening of Parliament along with our Coronations and Royal Weddings makes what they do on the continent look like a high school prom

The British are still the kings of pomp and circumstance.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
And the British State opening of Parliament along with our Coronations and Royal Weddings makes what they do on the continent look like a high school prom

The British are still the kings of pomp and circumstance.

I agree on the state opening of parliament and coronations, but not so much on the royal weddings. William's wedding for example looked impressive mostly because of the ambiance (Westminster Abbey) and the huge number of guests in attendance, but I didn't find it particularly "pompuous" compared to similar continental events.

Recent Scandinavian weddings (e.g. in Denmark and Sweden) were "smaller" in terms of venue and total number of guests, but they were far more pompuous in dressing code (tiaras, long dresses, etc.) and number of royal guests (including monarchs in attendance). And the pre and post-wedding parties were certainly more impressive in the Scandinavian case.

I didn't see other continental wedding ceremonies that were held in large churches (for example, Philippe's wedding to Mathilde and Felipe's wedding to Letizia), but I suppose they were comparable to William's. I must say though I wasn't particularly impressed by Maxima's and Willem-Alexander's wedding, but I guess that's because I find Dutch reformed liturgy underwhelming.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I still prefer British weddings but add to that the Diplomatic reception ( tiara event) , Trooping the Colour, Beating Retreat, The Noble Order of the Garter Procession, Procession of the Order of the Thistle and the other events I mentioned and for me at least there is nothing to rival British pomp and circumstance. No comparison at all with the continent
Old 03-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 12h12 hours ago
The State Opening of Parliament will take place on 18th May this year, it is announced.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

State Opening of Parliament May 18th 2016- BBC One: 10:30am
Coverage from the Palace of Westminster of the State Opening of Parliament attended by the Queen-
BBC One - The State Opening of Parliament

One can watch it outside the UK on Mediahhh.com

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii