The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Question why does the Queen have to wear white ? Would love to see her in a colour to match the crown
And why does Camilla wear white ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
If I am not mistaken, the Queen does not have to wear white, she has worn gold on occasion. She merely chooses to.

I suspect Camilla follows HMs lead, and will want to remain, very much, in a supporting role, and will not wear a different colour to draw attention to herself. This is very much HMs day to be the centre of attention.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

I missed the actual Live Coverage of the State Opening. Looked at my recordings on C-Span, and they only showed the speech and not the ceremonial arrivals and departures. I like the speech, but my favorite part is to see The Queen arriving and departing.

It would be nice to see The Queen and Camilla wear different colors though.

It would be nice to see William and Catherine attending, but my guess it will only happen on king Charles's first State Opening and so on. In the past, Charles, Anne, the Kent's and Gloucester's attended. I think it was better that way, IMO.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Question why does the Queen have to wear white ? Would love to see her in a colour to match the crown

I think that is tradition, when the previous Princess of Wales did attend the State Opening, she wore white as well. The late Princess Margaret mostly wore white/crème too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I missed the actual Live Coverage of the State Opening. Looked at my recordings on C-Span, and they only showed the speech and not the ceremonial arrivals and departures. I like the speech, but my favorite part is to see The Queen arriving and departing.

It would be nice to see The Queen and Camilla wear different colors though.

It would be nice to see William and Catherine attending, but my guess it will only happen on king Charles's first State Opening and so on. In the past, Charles, Anne, the Kent's and Gloucester's attended. I think it was better that way, IMO.
I am already happy the Prince of Wales and his spouse do attend. There were many years without them. When the House of Lords was reformed (no longer hereditary peers), the royal Dukes -including the Prince of Wales- stopped attending. Now apparently the Court has re-considered things and thought that an attendance of the future King is quite logic and have now re-introduced the Waleses.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Since her coronation, the Queen has always worn white State Dresses (apart from the gold one made for her Golden Jubilee) and since the State Opening of Parliament - like the Coronation and State Banquets - is a State Event, she chooses white on account of it being the most appropriate colour. It seems that Camilla is following suit as do the Ladies-in-Waiting (who tone the theme down with cream or ivory).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Random questions of the kind only I tend to ask:

How long does it take to swap out tiaras/crown and add the robe when the Queen arrives at Parliament and who gets to do that? I'd pay to watch, but assume it is off camera?
How does Boris Johnson replicate that same bed head day after day?

What a beautiful day it was!
I watched the event live and there is a pause of about 10 minutes from the moment the Queen enters the Robing Room until the fanfare declares she is ready to proceed. Of-course, it will only take a minute or so to exchange the tiara to the crown, and putting on the robe will be like put on a gilet, the arms go through two ermine-covered loops and then everyone lines up ready for the door to open.

I am afraid no one but Boris Johnson can account for his hairstyle.

The speech, I think, was shorter than usual of so it seemed.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
She does look well Phillip is looking very frail as you would expect at his age.

I don't agree. He is almost 94, and he looks to be in great form.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Camilla looks stunning!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I am already happy the Prince of Wales and his spouse do attend. There were many years without them. When the House of Lords was reformed (no longer hereditary peers), the royal Dukes -including the Prince of Wales- stopped attending. Now apparently the Court has re-considered things and thought that an attendance of the future King is quite logic and have now re-introduced the Waleses.
Yeah, I'm too glad that Charles & Camilla now attends. To me, it was better when a small group of royals attended. It's good to see the royals in their gear that we don't get to see on a regular bases.

Although I think it's down to comfortability, I think Camilla could change up her tiara's once in a while. She wear the same tiara to the State Banquets. There are plenty of pieces in the collection she could play around with and wear.

Parliament Archives @UKParlArchives · 2h 2 hours ago
The Queen addresses Parliament from the throne in the #HouseofLords chamber. #StateOpening July 1970
https://twitter.com/UKParlArchives/s...36484013051904

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

I must say I was startled to see Prince Charles looking every minute his age.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
The Queen will set out the programme for the next parliament in the first Conservative-only Queen's Speech in nearly two decades. Shows: David Cameron departing number 10 Downing Street and the Royals departing Buckingham Palace (first carriage the crown and sword, second carriage Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall and third carriage The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh)-

Home - ITNSource News

Beautiful Aerial Views of the Procession-
The Queen will set out the programme for the next parliament in the first Conservative-only Queen's Speech in nearly two decades. .

Home - ITNSource News

The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have attended the State Opening of Parliament this morning-
Home - ITNSource News

Chinese State Visit coming up in the UK in October.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
He looks fine to me.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I thought he looked dour in all the DM pictures - so I looked on the photo service pages. There were more jolly pictures of Charles there. The DM does make biased choices sometimes
Old 05-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Majesty

On BBC the Prince of Wales looked his serious self, with some smiles of recognition here and there. The whole occasion is overloaded with ceremonial et al. Also the Queen and the Duke barely could get a smile on their faces, that's the sort of event.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

PPE

PPE Agency

BBC News
Queen's Speech: the most British bits of the State Opening of Parliament - BBC Newsbeat
Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Anne certainly rocks the uniform
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_3319478k.jpg
Old 05-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

In the coach:
PPE Agency
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness

to prove that the Daily Mail is not the only media vehicle with stupid embarrassing headlines:

Queen Elizabeth II Trots Out Imperial State Crown for Incredibly Fancy Event - Racked

really? I dont know what I was more appalled at:
"trots out" [HM is not a horse] or
"Incredibly Fancy Event" [aka The State Opening of Parliament]
Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

there is no limit to human stupidity.. really
Old 05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Chinese State Visit coming up in the UK in October.
I saw that as well. I wonder if that might be William and Catherines first state banquet, seeing as William was there this spring and it would be good to build a relationship between William and China since Charles is not an option and the Queen won't live forever :)
Old 05-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I saw that as well. I wonder if that might be William and Catherines first state banquet, seeing as William was there this spring and it would be good to build a relationship between William and China since Charles is not an option and the Queen won't live forever :)
It's very possible they could be attending the State Banquet. They have to start attending these events. It's good training for them, so we shall see!

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Majesty

Queen Elisabeth promised to " maintain pressure on Russia to respect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine promised". Tengrinews.kz

Such point in the speech is not surprising.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii