State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Vic keep that thing on the top of her head? Hairpins?

Liz looking spectacular!! Just crazy about her!!!!

The small crown has also been worn by Queen Alexandra. But if the Queen still feels up to wearing the state diadem and the crown, then she will continue to do so.

:previous:
I agree, I think wearing the State Crown will be the last thing the Queen would want to change in the ceremony. She wears it for a relatively short period of time too, so the physical impact of wearing such a heavy thing on ones head might not be as bad as it looks!

Considering that she is 90 years old and in all these years it is only this year that a change regarding the stairs has been put in place - well, I think it's incredible!

I think there are a variety of subtle things that could be done to assist in her comfort for the ceremony, such as a box step by the carriage to make alighting easier, a shorter speech for her to read would be nice too!

Ladies (Anne, late Princess of Wales, ladies in waiting) sitting/ standing on the dais, except the Queen who almost always wears white and rarely gold, always wear white. So it seems this is some sort of tradition.

Exception: Queens Alexandra and Mary wore black for court mourning at their husband´s 1st state opening of parliament after the predecessing sovereign has died.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see the Parliamentary cellars were thoroughly searched beforehand! It's very inspiring to think that this is the Queen's 63rd opening of Parliament. Such a rich blend of tradition, ritual and pageantry, wonderful! May the Queen have the strength to repeat this for many years to come. It's nice to hear that Jeremy Corbyn was looking a bit glum!

How did Vic keep that thing on the top of her head? Hairpins?

Yes, definitely hairpins had been used to keep crown and veil in place.

Another question concerning the pages: I´ve noticed that only 3 of the 4 pages carried HMs train. One of them was ushered away after the Queen boarded the lift by a uniformed gentleman. After the speech, when the Queen and the DoEdinburgh said their farewells after leaving the robing room again, the young lad again stood in line together with the other pages!
Anybody knows what was wrong with him?

Maybe he didn't feel well at the time. It was only a couple of years ago when the page passed out during the speech.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Maybe he didn't feel well at the time. It was only a couple of years ago when the page passed out during the speech.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, that was back in 2014, I think. But this was before the ceremony started.

Yes, definitely hairpins had been used to keep crown and veil in place.

Another question concerning the pages: I´ve noticed that only 3 of the 4 pages carried HMs train. One of them was ushered away after the Queen boarded the lift by a uniformed gentleman. After the speech, when the Queen and the DoEdinburgh said their farewells after leaving the robing room again, the young lad again stood in line together with the other pages!
Anybody knows what was wrong with him?

According to Sebastian Shakespeare the boy was simply unwell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olved-mystery-Majesty-s-missing-Page-boy.html

Yes, I doubt the queen wants to risk a replay of 2014. The page in question is Viscount Lindley's nephew by marriage. He is the future Earl of Harrington after his grandfather and father.

Due to the General Election on the 8th June, the State Opening of Parliament will have to be delayed this year as the parliament will have been dissolved in May and a new parliament won't be in place until mid-late June.

The BBC has suggested the 14th June (six days after the election) which personally I think is rather fast to get everything organised, including giving the appropriate people the time to rehearse for a new parliament.

Their second date is the 21st June - during Ascot Week - which I am sure HM wouldn't like given that she likes to attend all five days of the Ascot Race meeting and I do think it is a bit much to have HM undertake the full ceremonial in London with carriage ride to and from Westminster and then quickly slip down to Windsor for another carriage procession.

The next date - assuming that the State Opening has to be on a Wednesday would be the 28th - the day before Charles and Camilla leave for their three day trip to Canada.

With these dates being mentioned - what happens if the vote is much closer than anticipated and they have to form a coalition government and are struggling to do so?

Surely they won't set a date for the State Opening until they actually know who will be in the parliament?

Could it be delayed until say the 10th or 11th July (the weekdays I will be in London this year so I can add seeing that to my list after Trooping and Garter last year)

I'd be surprised if it was as late as that. The longest wait after the last ten elections was 27 days, in 1992. And Parliament doesn't normally sit in July, so I imagine they'll be wanting to get things moving quickly so they can get back on schedule. It's also doesn't have to be on a Wednesday. Some have been on a Tuesday or Thursday (in 2005 I know the Queen left for Canada straight after the speech).

2015: 20 days
2010: 20 days
2005: 12 days (Tuesday)
2001: 13 days
1997: 13 days
1992: 27 days
1987: 14 days (Thursday)
1983: 13 days
1979: 12 days (Tuesday)
October 1973: 19 days (Tuesday)

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/857552850255261697
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/857553217969901568
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/857554517352730624

Wow. I hear there will be no carriage procession, limited ceremonial inside Westminster and the Queen won't be wearing her crown or gown.

Instead the Imperial State Crown, sword and cap will all be carried in before the Queen, who will be wearing day dress.

Am told because military/cavalry etc involved with Trooping on June 17, they can't prepare for State Opening too. So all ceremonial reduced.

Last edited:
Possible reasons?

An obvious reason may be the Queen's old age (with the proximity to the Trooping day providing a convenient excuse). It remains to be seen if it will become a permanent change that will also apply to future British monarchs.

I know some British posters on TRF might disagree, but , as we see in other European monarchies, it is possible to keep a certain degree of formality and decorum that is expected from a monarchy without sticking to archaic rituals and ceremonies.

In fact, at this point, I am not sure if Charles will even have a coronation, especially given the controversy over Camilla being crowned or not, which might serve as a pretext to replace the coronation with a Dutch-like investiture ceremony instead.

Last edited:
State Opening of Parliament 2002-2016

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/857547246677766149
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/857547431139061761
https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/857554517352730624

Breaking: the Queen has cancelled this years' Order of the Garter Service so she can take part in the State Opening of Parliament on June 19.

But given the revised calendar, the State Opening will take place with 'reduced ceremonial elements'.

I wonder what all ceremonial reduced will equate to??

I have heard of a State Opening in the 1970s (possibly 74) which was a reduced version, no carriages etc and perhaps day dress for The Queen but I can't find any pictures etc to confirm exactly what happened.

What I find strange here is that a State Opening was due anyway; this isn't a surprise or 'an extra' one caused by the election.

Last year there were concessions for The Queen's age, such as the lift, however this all seems a bit much all at once.

Last edited:
It was the one in early 1974, when there was a severe recession. I know I've seen footage of her arrival, I think on the ITN Source site, but I can't find it now.

Edit: Found it. There's nothing from inside, though.

Last edited:
Folks, all the full ceremonial stuff will return next year.

Although, we'll start seeing The Queen stop wearing the Imperial State Crown at the Opening at some point. Due to her age. It's just not the case right now.

From the BBC explaining.

Note comment from BP "nothing to do with her age"

'Dressed down' Queen to appear at State Opening - BBC News

Its happened before:

For June State Opening, it'll be a "dressed down " Queen -- no robes or crown. Last happened after March 1974 snap election.

Under the golden rule of the press, if the Palace emphatically denies that it has "anything to do with her age", everybody will conclude age was an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom