State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
British viewers can download the BBC coverage on i-player.

From The Independent and Simon Carr, some humour...

Tantrums and tiaras, but Labour have really lost their sparkle

excerpts:

There was a small but observable increase in tiaras in the House of Lords. It may or may not mean the return of the Cavaliers, but we've certainly witnessed a rout of the Roundheads.

The Lords were all packed in like a national scrum, red-robed backs bent forward. Black tights, red lions, white wands, pretty page boys with ruffs, a Queen. A proper Queen. It's so peculiar it takes a reckless, Roundhead spirit to be confident of changing it for the better.

[New PM David Cameron] also gave Denis MacShane a bloody nose which cheered everyone up, we all like to see that.
MacShane: was the PM going to continue associating himself in Europe with people Clegg had called nutters and anti-Semites. Cameron said in that humorous way: "The answer to that is yes!" And he went on to itemise some of Labour's EU partners – one who thought homosexuality is a disease and another who felt Hitler had had "a really good programme". MacShane's suffocating self-righteousness didn't quite survive the exchange, no doubt it will revive.

PS: Peter Lilley's wife tried to get into a Downing Street function saying: "I'm one of the ministers' wives!" The policeman: "I couldn't let you in if you were the minister's only wife."

Labour fury as 2011 Queen's Speech axed as Coalition claim they need time | Mail Online

Ministers were accused of making a power grab to force ‘unpopular’ policies into law after next year’s Queen’s Speech was cancelled.
Commons Leader Sir George Young prompted Labour fury when he slipped out a written statement declaring that this session of Parliament will run until spring 2012– the longest Parliamentary session for 150 years.
Even in the First and Second World Wars, Parliament stuck to its traditional annual autumn State opening, led by the Monarch.

Congratulations. Is it possible that you scan the portrait of The Queen and attach / upload it here?
Anyone know who are the 3 ladies in waiting at Opening of Parliament last year?

:crown5: . . :crown5: . . :crown5:

State Opening of Parliament

:royalstandard:

Last edited:
Queen's speech rebellion over Lords reform
David Cameron faces the biggest threat to his leadership since entering Downing Street as senior Tories demand he asserts authority over Nick Clegg by dumping Liberal Democrat-driven plans for Lords reform from the Queen's speech this week.Cameron's former rival for the leadership, David Davis, told theObserver: "I think if you ask the man on the street what his priorities are,House of Lords reform and gay marriage would not be among them. It would be jobs, cutting taxes, prosperity, growth. It is the economy, stupid. That has never been more true." Davis said Tories wanted "more Conservative flavour to the coalition. That is putting it as mildly as I can."

Queen’s Speech to target red tape and pay
Vince Cable is to bring forward a sprawling enterprise bill to cut red tape, control excessive boardroom pay and strengthen competition, as the government attempts to give this week’s Queen’s Speech a strong business flavour. Measures to be unveiled on Wednesday will include plans to strengthen Britain’s banking system – such as moves to ringfence risky investment banking operations – to be put on the statute book by 2014.

More help for families to be unveiled in Queen’s Speech
Parents will be able to take more flexible leave to care for their children under family-friendly laws to be unveiled in Queen’s Speech. Mothers will be able to return to work earlier and transfer their maternity leave to their partners under moves to help both parents share the burden of child care. The Coalition is also looking to offer more opportunities for flexible working which parents can request throughout their son or daughter’s childhood.

Queen's Speech to focus on family
A package of "family-friendly" policies will feature in the Queen's Speech as the coalition Government steps up its bid to recover from a catalogue of problems and a local election mauling. More flexible leave for parents, speedier adoptions, better help for special needs pupils and improved access arrangements for divorced fathers will all be included in a wide-ranging Bill, Downing Street sources indicated.

One of my favourite days in the royal calendar. Wonderful uniforms, beautiful buildings, full of symbolism and history. I do wish more members of the RF would take part, though.

The Imperial State Crown has just arrived at the Palace of Westminster in its own carriage.

I'm watching it live on BBC1,its one of my favourite Royal Highlights!

I'm used to it being in November! Looking forward to seeing those stunning jewels.

This is a day I'd quite like to be The Queen.

Nick Clegg got a Huw Edwards promotion ;) lovely to see Arthur and Charles. Wonder who the "hostage" is at BP.

Last edited:
Last edited:
[
It is every year in the same occasion, when I see her wearing The Imperial State Crown, I'm wondering how the Queen manages to fight against the headache :bang:

Last edited:
Queen's Speech sets out new laws for flexible leave for new parents, ankle bracelets for drunks and crackdown on banks
A raft of family-friendly policies were at the heart of the Queen’s speech today as David Cameron attempted to win back support following the coalition’s catastrophic losses at the local elections. Mr Cameron’s fight-back also includes plans to boost the economy and defy the turmoil in Europe by splitting up the banks and boosting the power of shareholders to set executive pay. Measures aimed at winning back voters also include an historic shake-up of the pension system hat will see flat-rate payouts, drug driving sentences, ankle bracelets for drunks, a new British ‘FBI’ and a crackdown on the sexualisation of children. But other controversial bills likely to provoke anger are plans for a snoopers charter to check emails and texts, House of Lords reform and secret courts.
The Queen delivered the speech in just 15 minutes, setting out the Government’s legislative plans for the coming year, amid lavish traditional ceremony at the House of Lords in Westminster.

Lovely to see Lord Linley's son and Lady Sarah Chatto's son serving as paiges to the Queen.

It might just have been me, but today's speech seemed to be incredibly short. Maybe that's deliberate on the government's part, given HM's age and the weight of the crown etc.

The Australian State Coach is a real beauty. The little gold cherubs on the roof are stunning.

Princess Royal

Why does the Princess Royal wear a uniform on an occasion like this? Does she usually wear the uniform at the State Opening of Parliament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom